X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Driver Qts (Qes and Qms)

Can someone describe t me how a low Qts driver sounds compared to a higher Qts driver?
    My understanding is "Q" describes a driver's behavior around resonance (Fs), and that a low Q driver has a wider range of resonance than a higher Q driver, meaning a low Q driver at a frequency close to, but not at resonance, it will still resonate to a higher degree then a higher Q driver at the same proximity to resonant frequency.
    If I'm correct then I can envision the real world effects of it, but I'm not sure if I'm correct.
  • John D
    • Mar 2007

I think you already understand what is going on: a low Q system (I say system and not driver, because you rarely listen to an individual driver without some sort of box or equalization) has a gradual, early roll-off. A high Q system has steeper roll-off that starts at a lower frequency and it has stronger emphasis of the resonance frequency.

Originally posted by Bent
    (...) meaning a low Q driver at a frequency close to, but not at resonance, it will still resonate to a higher degree then a higher Q driver at the same proximity to resonant frequency.
    I believe that to be true.

As the Q of a driver is generally lower than 1.0, it radiates less sound energy at its resonance frequency than at frequencies where cone-motion purely mass-controlled. That means a low Q driver at a frequency close to, but not at resonance will radiate energy to a lower degree than a higher Q driver at the same proximity to resonant frequency. Q is the inverse of damping, so a lower Q means the resonance is more damped.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"