Madisound Sold Out of the Aura NT1 Tweeters (for ZDT3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luke G
    • Jan 2008

Madisound Sold Out of the Aura NT1 Tweeters (for ZDT3)

Damnit, I'm all ready to start on a pair of Zaph ZDT3's and Madisound is saying 6-8 weeks before they see any more of the Aura NT1 tweeters. Aura has been taking forever to get products out, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was even longer than that. Anyone know of another retailer that carries the NT1's?
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Just about all the Aura drivers are sold out. I wonder if they intend on pulling out of the diy market?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• critofur
      • Jan 2008

Happens EVERY time I find a driver I like, stops being produced and out of stock... I don't know if I like the NT1 yet, but I wanted to try it. And I also saw that Zaph says the similar (my opinion) Parts Express tweeter is often damaged by how it's packed, the foam dents the dome.

Comment

• Landroval
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by critofur
        And I also saw that Zaph says the similar (my opinion) Parts Express tweeter is often damaged by how it's packed, the foam dents the dome.
        I have plenty of those, and they all seem to be fine. I wouldn't worry about the packaging.

Comment

• trimble
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
          Just about all the Aura drivers are sold out. I wonder if they intend on pulling out of the diy market?
          I've been asking them about the ns3-193. Response: "This driver will be available at our US distributor in May."

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Landroval
            I have plenty of those, and they all seem to be fine. I wouldn't worry about the packaging.
            Hi all,

I think it depends on when you buy them. In a shipment of ND20 tweeters, they are tightly packed into a large box. If you get yours off the top, they will be fine. If the top half of the box has sold, as you get closer to the bottom, the likelihood of damage is probably higher. If you get near the "bottom of the barrel" as I once did... Well, I had 6 in a row that had dents.

This is not an issue only with the rear mount version, it's an issue with the ND20FA also. So far I seem to be the only one reporting this problem. Who knows, maybe I'm the unluckiest guy on earth and I got the only bad ones. Regardless, I'm not supporting these tweeters based on what I've seen until I know the packing has been resolved. Here's pictures:

On Monday I'm going to chat with Madisound to get a feel for the reliability of Aura. I want to know the likelihood of the NT1 being available in a realistic time frame, given Aura's poor history of supply. If I don't get a good feeling, I'm going to pull the designs until I redesign them for another tweeter. (which may never happen) Bummer.
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Landroval
              • Dec 2005

Ok, I see. I had mine in a plastic bag, the small tweeter boxes here and there, but they seem to be fine. The plastic bag was in a bigger box with all sorts of stuff, but they all came over the Atlantic in good shape.

It seems Aura is quite often running into problems, reorganizing etc.. Reliability is not really on the level of western manufacturers.. too bad.

Comment

• peter_m
                • Sep 2007

Makes you wonder what is wrong with this world...
                I can't think of a worst waste of resource, time and effort then to have something designed, built in China, packaged, shipped to a local warehouse, have someone order it, reshipped, and to open the package and see it all go to the garbage.... for being stingy on 0.10$ packaging. Sad!

Comment

• Rick Craig
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by augerpro
                  Their main source of income isn't the DIY customer and they focus on production for manufacturers. As far as I know they have no intention of exiting the DIY market.

Comment

• WillyD
                    • Feb 2006

On Monday I'm going to chat with Madisound to get a feel for the reliability of Aura. I want to know the likelihood of the NT1 being available in a realistic time frame, given Aura's poor history of supply. If I don't get a good feeling, I'm going to pull the designs until I redesign them for another tweeter. (which may never happen) Bummer.
                    That would be a huge bummer.

Comment

• critofur
                      • Jan 2008

[QUOTE=jkrutke]...This is not an issue only with the rear mount version, it's an issue with the ND20FA also. So far I seem to be the only one reporting this problem. Who knows, maybe I'm the unluckiest guy on earth and I got the only bad ones. Regardless, I'm not supporting these tweeters based on what I've seen until I know the packing has been resolved...QUOTE]

If you "suck out" the dent on a cloth dome tweeter, does it affect the test results (compared to a pristine one)? I imagine it's not nearly as bad is if you dent a metal dome, but, maybe still a problem?

Those Aura NT1 tweeters seem amazingly susceptible to finger damage...

Comment

• jkrutke
                        • Dec 2005

I had to dig this thread out to say that PE has indeed resolved the issues with the rear mount ND20 packaging. They now have have the plastic covers as I saw on another forum post.

As far as the front mount ND20, I've only seen the damage once (as shown in the picture above) and they may have been a shipping damage issue rather than packaging so I'm less concerned about that.

Anyway, this brings the rear mount ND20 off my "do not use" list and back onto my favorites list. Thanks to PE for listening to us.
                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2001

John,

Just for clarification, will the rear mount ND20 work with the existing crossover? Will some tweaking be required?

Comment

• jkrutke
                            • Dec 2005

No, it won't. But there is a good chance I will modify the tweeter filter to make it work with the ND20. My goal will be to keep the rest of the filter the same because I know it works well.
                            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• mtnickel
                              • Mar 2006

Perhaps not the best place to state this,
                              BUT...
                              My brother destroyed one of my tweeters in my set of 5 Zaph mini's for my home theater.

If anyone has any extra's of these tweeters and doesn't "really" need them (I know how many of us just have a box full of drivers), it would be immensely helpful if you'd sell me one (or more to have a spare).

Thanks

Mark
                              mtnickel AT hotmail.com

Comment

• JJones
                                • Jun 2008

Seems to be back in stock:

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

I'll post a new thread also, titled "Aura NT1 back in stock" just so anyone who needs to know gets the message...

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"