X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamuel
    • Oct 2007

How thick is paint?!

I'll be routing the holes soon for my cabinets, but when I'm finished I plan on giving them a glossy white finish which will consist of a number of primer and paint coats, do I have to compensate for this when routing the insets for my drivers? E.g. an extra millimeter to the diameter? I don't want to spend hours finishing them only not to be able to get the drivers in. Cheers,

Sam.
  • Landroval
    • Dec 2005

Well, each layer has a thickness, and the more layers there are, the thicker the paint will be. I'd say normally it'll be much less than a millimeter, just a bit more than nothing

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

If you can get those holes to such an exact size that a layer of paint ruins it, then my hat's off to you!
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• jquin
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by megamuel
        I'll be routing the holes soon for my cabinets, but when I'm finished I plan on giving them a glossy white finish which will consist of a number of primer and paint coats, do I have to compensate for this when routing the insets for my drivers? E.g. an extra millimeter to the diameter? I don't want to spend hours finishing them only not to be able to get the drivers in. Cheers,

Sam.
        You may get some unfortunate responses to this question. Like "how long is a piece of sting". However in reality the question is probably moot. If you are using a veneer you may need to make some provision for its thickness. However you will be doing fairly well in your woodworking skills if the thickness of the paint makes a difference. A know people's projects look very precise in photos but in actual fact I doubt that the front of the drivers is flush with the front baffle to within the accuracy of paint thickness.

Comment

• ahaik
          • Feb 2007

I run into that problem on one of my builds, had to start scraping it off, NO FUN. I damaged the finish a little in the process.
          Not sure how much it adds, but its a good idea to plan ahead and route a little wider.

Comment

• Martyn
            • Feb 2006

The obvious solution is to paint first and route after the paint has fully hardened, but you might feel that this risks damaging the finish. So why not mask the rabbets instead? If you don't like either of these options, if you allow 1/4 mm all around (i.e. 1/2 mm on the diameter) at least you should be quite close. A more significant problem might be the accumulation of paint in the corner of the rabbet...

Comment

• Dryseals
              • Jul 2006

Depends on the paint and how it's applied. Paint a piece of scrap the way you plan on painting the speaker and cut it in half and measure the thickness.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

If you spray it on will definitely be thicker. Same with rolling.

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

just mask off the edge of the hole and shoot your paint.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• awm
                    • Feb 2004

Ditto...

I've run into the very tight squeeze before and found that blue painter's masking tape worked perfectly. Fill/mask the rabbet and carefully razor-blade off whatever tape sticks out above the hole to make it flush with the baffle surface. One more thing -- once painted, be very careful removing the tape in case the paint pulls off with it and ruins what's on the baffle. A very careful razor-blade scraping, just inside the baffle/rabbet junction, can take care of this.

Andy

Comment

• megamuel
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Gir
                      If you can get those holes to such an exact size that a layer of paint ruins it, then my hat's off to you!
                      Hmm... Well I've cut everything else to the mm so I thought if I did the same with the holes and say the paint put an extra mm on then the drivers might not fit, and I was talking more like 6 layers of paint not 1. I genuinley did not know if paint would add much thickness or not, it was clearly a valid question due to everyone elses responses. Cheers for the suggestions guys :W

Sam.

Comment

• TacoD
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2004

I add 1 mm to the radius of the driver cutouts when I paint the cabinet. Then everything fits fine.

Comment

• BobEllis
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

As a reference, when contractors were painting the deck of my ship the Navy contract called for .0015" of primer. You'll probably end up with a bit more than that per layer in the corners of the cutouts.

I am too old to think metric , I add 1/32" for paint clearance. My old worn out Sears router was just about perfect for this. Now I have to think about it.

Comment

• jquin
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BobEllis
                            I am too old to think metric ,
                            This sounds to me like "I'm too old to start sleeping on a mattress, this bed of nails is much more comfortable." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• littlesaint
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jquin
                              This sounds to me like "I'm too old to start sleeping on a mattress, this bed of nails is much more comfortable." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                              Your analogy is a bit ironic since for anyone who has lived their whole life in the US, working in a non-science discipline, the metric system is the bed of nails.

If you're used to working with US measurements, it's much easier to visualize. I can eyeball a half inch fairly well. Can't say the same for 12mm. Now I will say the metric is much better for calculations, but for measuring, a person should just use what they are comfortable with.
                              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Yeah! Why should I learn any language other than English, either.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"