X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • critofur
    • Jan 2008

Series x-over examples for LspCAD?

Where can I find some simple series crossover example projects LspCAD? I'd like to see how I'm supposed to set them up in the schematic editor, so I'm looking for some example projects I can load. I didn't see any in the "examples" folder?
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by critofur
    Where can I find some simple series crossover example projects LspCAD? I'd like to see how I'm supposed to set them up in the schematic editor, so I'm looking for some example projects I can load. I didn't see any in the "examples" folder?
    You can see Jon's Modula MT series crossover here:

As all of Jon's designs, its elegant in its simplicity....

I'd suggest you open up a 'new' series crossover filter design in LspCAD and use the Filter Wizard to select various order topologies. As you look for instance at first a 1st order, and understand how it works, then select a 2nd order, etc. to add the additonal poles. If you understand how parallel crossovers work, you won't have any problem picking up the series topologies.

C
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• critofur
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Curt C
      You can see Jon's Modula MT series crossover here:

As all of Jon's designs, its elegant in its simplicity....

I'd suggest you open up a 'new' series crossover filter design in LspCAD and use the Filter Wizard to select various order topologies. As you look for instance at first a 1st order, and understand how it works, then select a 2nd order, etc. to add the additonal poles. If you understand how parallel crossovers work, you won't have any problem picking up the series topologies.

C
      My problem is not the actual design of the crossover, it is how to implement it in the schematic editor; so I hope someone will share a file that LspCAD can load?

Comment

• Paul W
        • Oct 2004

Dunno which version you have but, at least in mine, there is a "checkbox" in the network editor for "series topology".
        Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

My problem is not the actual design of the crossover, it is how to implement it in the schematic editor; so I hope someone will share a file that LspCAD can load?
          Perhaps you should spend an evening learning to use the software instead of constantly asking for files. It doesn't get much easier than LspCAD 6's click and drop CAD-style editor. You can create any schematic in a few minutes. There are a manual and a tutorial in \docs and some sample measurement and project files to go with the above in \examples.

Edit: there are 75 driver and project files in \examples so I don't think you really need any more from us to get a feel for the software.

Comment

• critofur
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Dennis H
            Perhaps you should spend an evening learning to use the software instead of constantly asking for files.
            I don't understand why I even have to ask in the first place, why aren't there gobs of these being shared publicly on forums like this one and diyaudio already?!?
            It doesn't get much easier than LspCAD 6's click and drop CAD-style editor. You can create any schematic in a few minutes. There are a manual and a tutorial in \docs and some sample measurement and project files to go with the above in \examples.

Edit: there are 75 driver and project files in \examples so I don't think you really need any more from us to get a feel for the software.
            EDIT: I even mentioned in my original post that I was already looking in the examples folder and what I was finding there wasn't very helpful...

I didn't see any series crossover examples.

I didn't see any examples of good designs with simple crossovers.

I've spent frustrating hours fighting with the software; for someone who's been using it competenly for a while, what I'm asking would take less than five minutes I'm guessing.
            Originally posted by Paul W
            Dunno which version you have but, at least in mine, there is a "checkbox" in the network editor for "series topology".
            I didn't see what you're talking about yet, I'll look for it... EDIT: Ok, I'm looking now, still don't see what you're talking about, I'll look in the "Standard" version next...

The most recent version is available as a free demo download for both the standard and pro. :T

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

I don't understand why I even have to ask in the first place, why aren't there gobs of these being shared publicly on forums like this one and diyaudio already?!?
              I feel for you man, I really do. The fact that there are none of these files being shared-when they easily could be-should tell you something. They are just not as useful as you think they are. Once you begin to understand the principals of loudspeaker measurement and design you will understand why.

I didn't see any series crossover examples.

I didn't see any examples of good designs with simple crossovers.

I've spent frustrating hours fighting with the software; for someone who's been using it competenly for a while, what I'm asking would take less than five minutes I'm guessing.
              People go to college to get degrees in this stuff and you want a five minute primer? Series crossovers especially are complex. why the fascination with them? My advice would be to get some books on loudspeaker design and if you understand those move on to analog filters textbooks. If this stuff was so easy to understand you would see idiots like me be an innovator, instead of people like Jon Marsh, John Kreskovsky, and Earl Geddes with their EE and other degrees who do this stuff for a living. Trust me I'll never have an article published in the JAES :rofl:
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• critofur
                • Jan 2008

Indeed...

Originally posted by augerpro
                I feel for you man, I really do. The fact that there are none of these files being shared-when they easily could be-should tell you something. They are just not as useful as you think they are. Once you begin to understand the principals of loudspeaker measurement and design you will understand why.
                In terms of measurement, I have over thirty years experience with the most advanced and significant (and, in the end, the only ones of any consequence) measurement devices: human ears. :P

We (me and the owner of the speaker company) spent a couple days tweaking a wide range driver both physically and electronically until it [freq. response] was amost as flat as a polished marble counter - we looked at the final measurement and smiled to each other, we said "wow, that is impressive".... Then... We listened to it, after about 30 seconds it was clear: it was total garbage. It measured great, but it sounded BAD.

But, seriously, I do want to start using my computer and what we used before was all analog equipment, scopes and such...
                People go to college to get degrees in this stuff and you want a five minute primer?
                Hmm... I spent two years training with a 30+ year veteran in the speaker industry who owns one of the few speaker companies that's been in business that long and towards the end of this apprenticeship, working with him, I designed this series of speakers:

I don't claim that they are very good, but, they do some things well and some aspects about the design are unique.
                Series crossovers especially are complex. why the fascination with them? My advice would be to get some books on loudspeaker design and if you understand those move on to analog filters textbooks...
                I don't think any number of college degrees could prepare one to be a good speaker designer, college doesn't give you creativity or cleverness, you have to supply those yourself. While there is a lot of math and science involved with the workings of speakers, it's innovation that is key.

All I want is an example file for EITHER Sound Easy OR LspCAD with a two way speaker with a simple series crossover. Ideally, it would be something with inexpensive drivers that are currently available from Parts Express. I'm not looking for anything super, something with just an OK freq. response would be fine, something without additional components for baffle step, notch filters, zobel etc. Preferably 1st order.

The purpose of this would be to help learn how to use the SOFTWARE and NOT to learn about crossovers (not about parallel ones anyway).

IMHO making complex parrallel crossovers and getting the freq. response fairly flat is trivial, and, certainly a lot easier to learn than learning how to use either LspCAD or Sound Easy.

Designing an excellent enclosure is MUCH harder than designing a complex parrallel crossover.

Why my interest in serial crossovers? A few reasons: I want to listen to them to see if I hear a difference, and, I don't like almost all the speakers I've listened to which have 2nd order or higher parrallel networks - I want to find out: is my dislike of most of these speakers due in part to something that the crossover does to the sound.

The only speaker I've ever heard which even came close to sounding like a live instrument was actually THERE in the room, playing right in front of me was a single driver without a crossover on it. This single driver, was, however, by no means adequate for use as a general speaker because it was only flat up to about 3 Khz thereafter it rolled off and not very smoothly.

I'm beginning to think that writing my own speaker software might almost be easier (for me at least) than trying to work with the existing programs.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Internet search tools are an amazing resource when they're used..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• critofur
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    Internet search tools are an amazing resource when they're used..

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...d-users/files/
                    Wow, great, thanks - I had actually seached a LOT and not found much of anything.

I've joined the group and looking through the files now.

EDIT: Ok, I've got the "Series Example.flt" file, if only I could have figured out what to do with it before I had to go to sleep... 8O :Z

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Almost every major software title has some type of dedicated forum. And there's a link to the LspCAD forum on virtually every ijdate webpage....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"