Anyone have project plans utilizing the Peerless 831882 (5.25") Exclusive Driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omarmipi
    • Sep 2006

Anyone have project plans utilizing the Peerless 831882 (5.25") Exclusive Driver?

I just bought a pair of the Peerless 831882 Exclusive woofers to make some small book shelve speakers with. Does anyone have project plans for these woofers with a nice tweeter? I figured I'd try to ask before I contract Madisound to create some custom crossovers.
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Here's one: http://home.wanadoo.nl/dezaire/golden/golden.htm

Comment

• omarmipi
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jonasz
      Thanks but for some reason I am unable to view the plans. And unfortunately I cannot read the language on that site.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The plans are links (aka thumbnails)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Hmm was just about to do that....

Comment

• omarmipi
            • Sep 2006

Awesome!!! Thank you very much for posting that. For some reason the link wasn't working for me the 1st couple of times but now is.

Comment

• peter_m
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by omarmipi
              unfortunately I cannot read the language on that site.

Just go to:http://www.google.com/translate_t

and you get this: http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Comment

• John D
                • Mar 2007

I know the designer. He knows how to design speakers. I've heard a couple of his designs and they are all very good.
                I could translate some parts for you (from Dutch to English, in case you didn't know ), if necessary.

Comment

• bobhowell
                  • Jul 2008

I got a pair of Peerless 831882's recently and am wondering it anyone has built the design shown here and cares to comment.

Bob Howell

Comment

• bobhowell
                    • Jul 2008

Anybody built any speaker with this woofer and care to comment?

I have two and am planning to start soon on something.

Comment

• davey_m
                      • Nov 2008

The port output at 800Hz is almost as high as the primary port output between 50 and 90Hz. Presumably the driver's rear radiation couples too efficiently to the slot port resonance and contributes to some 2 - 3 dB excess output at 800Hz as seen on the ATB Precision plot.

Perhaps try a cylindrical port mounted high eg behind the tweeter.

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by davey_m
                        The port output at 800Hz is almost as high as the primary port output between 50 and 90Hz. Presumably the driver's rear radiation couples too efficiently to the slot port resonance and contributes to some 2 - 3 dB excess output at 800Hz as seen on the ATB Precision plot.

Perhaps try a cylindrical port mounted high eg behind the tweeter.
                        ??? Don't follow!

Comment

• 5th element
                          Supreme Being Moderator
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by bobhowell
                          ??? Don't follow!
                          Look at the low frequency response plots of the woofer on the link posted at the top of the page.

You see the usual woofer roll off, with the port contribution slightly below it. However the port also appears to have high output around 800hz.

Whether or not this has been commented on in the design I don't know.
                          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

??? Don't follow!

I think he means that port resonances at 800 Hz are almost as loud as the port's output at its tuning frequency...
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                              • Jul 2007

Looks like the design favours nearfield (eg. computer / desk) listening or for close wall mounting. Does not look like enough baffle step compensation applied - loose translation, the speaker will sound "thin" and bass-less if you use it in a conventional (on stands in the room away from the rear wall) manner.

Comment

• davey_m
                                • Nov 2008

Yes it appears there's no BSC. It is clearly visible in the ATB Precision plot, which is anechoic.

Comment

• bobhowell
                                  • Jul 2008

I got it. I am planning to run it sealed with sub. But I will have to think about BSC. I think I will want that. He has comments about the design but Google Thanslate conceals the meaning. Hence my caution. Seems he recomends/offers version to cut output abound 4000hz. I don't know if there is more.

In 7 L, roll off is gradual and I could xo to sub at 80-120 as needed.

Thanks for the help

Bob

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                    • Jul 2007

I got it. I am planning to run it sealed with sub. But I will have to think about BSC. I think I will want that. He has comments about the design but Google Thanslate conceals the meaning. Hence my caution. Seems he recomends/offers version to cut output abound 4000hz. I don't know if there is more.

In 7 L, roll off is gradual and I could xo to sub at 80-120 as needed.

Thanks for the help

Bob
                                    A sub won't compensate for a lack of baffle step compensation. See in the overal frequency response of the system there is a gentle rise in response from 100Hz to about 700Hz of about 3 - 4 dB? This is the baffle step phenomenon. The sub will round out things - say to 120Hz max. You'll still have a bright / forward sounding speaker.

Without changing the crossover, all you can do is place the speakers hard against the wall and block the port / build as a sealed design.

Comment

• bobhowell
                                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                                      Looks like the design favours nearfield (eg. computer / desk) listening or for close wall mounting. Does not look like enough baffle step compensation applied - loose translation, the speaker will sound "thin" and bass-less if you use it in a conventional (on stands in the room away from the rear wall) manner.
                                      I have studied this design and have questions about the graphs. Looking at the 2nd graph, which is the corrected one, the spl rises from 1000hz down to about 150hz. Then it falls off at about 100hz, quickly. This seems to be too much BSC as I read it. Everyone else says not enough. So how am I miss reading this?

Clairify please,

Bob

Comment

• davey_m
                                        • Nov 2008

That second graph comes from a nearfield measurement and would not show the baffle step. The ATB precision graph at the end is anechoic and shows the baffle step.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                          • Jul 2007

As davey_m said. A nearfield measurement (one where the microphone is placed close enough to the driver that the baffle effect is swamped by the driver's "natural" response) is only useful for low frequency response measurements, or where you do NOT want the effect of the baffle to factor.

The other tipoff is the low value series inductor for the woofer. Unless the driver has baffle step "designed" into it (most don't) then the inductor is usually around 2mH (or greater) to indicate some level of baffle step compensation. The other option is a lower value inductor, but a parallel resistor to "shave" a few dB off above where the inductor resistance exceeds the parallel resistor. The one in the design above is only 0.68mH

Comment

• bobhowell
                                            • Jul 2008

Thanks. Now I see. One thought is to put it in a sealed, 3-4L box, which gives a Q of .700 or so, and power handling of about 30 watts. My subs are one of the NHT buyout amps with a spectrial tilt, driving two, 10"woofers in seperate cabinets spaced 8" apart and another sub available to help, if needed, to even out room modes. Can I use these adjustments to level out the responce? I will be experimenting with REW.

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"