X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbudros
    • Mar 2008

Hello

Hey there guys (and ladies?)

My friend pointed me to this forum. I spent a lot of time at caraudio.com/forum till that project was completed.

My next project is my home theatre/stereo.

Here are my goals, and limits.

Goals:

Upper Middle quality sound, based on budget
    Clear crisp sound. Non harsh tweeters smooth bass.
    A setup that sounds great ins 5.1 stereo for good music, of all kinds.
    Nothing to expensive or exotic

Speaker Goals:
    Large bookshelfs for front 2 channels, 1x 1" or 1 1/8" dome tweeter (silk), 2x 7"-8" speakers.
    Center Channel 1x 1" or 1 1/8" dome tweeter (silk) 2x 6.5 speakers
    Sub channel will be a wicked one built from the website using recommended speakers
    rears/surrounds 1x 1" or 1 1/8" dome tweeter (silk) 1x 4"

Limits:

The budget isnt for SURE but i would like to stay in that range.
    Looking to spend 1500-1700$ on, receiver, and 5.0 speaker setup, the wicked one will be a separate budget and project.
    This money budget gives me money for, 3 very decent tweeters, 2 decent tweeters, 6 very decent 7" (vifa/dayton) and 2 tweeters and 2 4" of less quality.

I have a 57in flat scree, HIDEF, DVI in tv. And I planned on running, HDMI > DVI converter from receiver to tv. And PS3 and HIDEF Directv HDMI into the receiver.

I am very knew to speaker building. I understand Ohm loads and things of that nature related to car audio, and I will be able to build all my enclosures and cover them in my own veneer.

My room in question is 15x20x9ish

My questions are:

1 tweet 2 mids per front channels? or should i go more mids like 3 or 4?
    How do I port properly for in home?
    I would like dark cherry look, and suggestions on good veneer?
    How can i set up my speakers to be amped from my receiver and not a plate amp properly?
    Whats a good receiver for 5.1, with 2 hdmi in 1 out? Ive been looking at onkyo and others, I would like a denon 2808 but for 700 ebayed thats still a lot.

ANY OTHER INFORMATION IS CERTAINLY WELCOME. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Are you talking about building speakers? Or buying? If building your in the wrong forum should have this moved to the Mission Possible DIY area. Another thing unless you have all the measuring equipment and some speaker design experience among other things going to be quite hard for you to build a speaker. You can't just throw some drivers into a box and use a simple or prefabbed crossover. The crossover has to be designed accordingly to the drivers and arrangement/size of the enclosure. Using prefabbed enclosures are really a bad idea. If your looking to build though there are lots of designs you can look at and choose from in the Mission Accomplished area inside the DIY forum.

Comment

• nbudros
      • Mar 2008

Thanks...

Yes I planned on building the cabinets from scratch, I have building experience and plenty of that when my friends are around. Im here to learn about cross overs and all that good stuff.. Im sure I can find designs, im not making my own designs just building them my self.

Could a mod move this?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

They probably could when they see it As a suggestion with your budget if we says 300-400 is for the receiver that leaves like 1300 for speakers. You could probably build the Natalie P's and Modula MT's for that. Nat P's for the mains and then the MT's for the center and surrounds. Or if you like you could build a really nice set of mains and a center and add the rears later. Not saying the Natalie P's aren't nice but they are kind of the entry level speaker of the forums. But also the most popular I would say.

Comment

• nbudros
          • Mar 2008

What are better then the nat p's

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well there's the RS-3 Way TMWW's, The Statements, The Khanspires. Really depends on what your going for? Are you interested in music performance at all or just HT?

Comment

• nbudros
              • Mar 2008

I want both equaly. I will be using them for both. These builds seem like a tremendous amount of work.

For grins will you point me to some nice prebuilts so i can compare... Im unsure ill have the time to do all the cabinet work for some Khanspires...

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

For speakers that are already built in your price range... I'd look at Paradigm, AV123, Emotiva but their stuff isn't out yet.

The Nat P's and Modula MT's can go in prebuilt partsexpress cabinets. I'd link to them....but the site seems to be down for some reason.

Comment

• chrisn
                  • Sep 2007

Here's a link to PE's cabinets: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=603

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

The site was down before so I couldn't grab it....they seemed to be having server errors.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"