X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martijn_H
    • Nov 2007

low distortion 15" woofer

I've seen the distortion measurements of the Dayton RS 12"woofer and now the RS serie has got my attention!. Are there also any measurements of the RS390 available?

What would be the best (+12mm xmax) woofer for 20-300Hz?

Thank you!

Greetings Martijn
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Martijn_H
    What would be the best (+12mm xmax) woofer for 20-300Hz? Martijn
    "Best" would probably be the $700 Aura Sound 15"
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

or the $1700 Audio Pulse LMS Ultra 15"
    audiopulse.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, audiopulse.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Given this information, do you want to rephrase your question?....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• servicetech
      • Sep 2007

Do you want high Xmax AND low distortion?
      Check out this article:

Zaph's thoughts on high Xmax woofers

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well good luck getting your hands on an audiopulse as TC sounds has been closed up from what I hear. Although partsexpress has supposedly bought out their remaining drivers and are selling them. This seems to be true as they recently stuck up the 12" entry level sub.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by servicetech
          Do you want high Xmax AND low distortion?
          Check out this article:

Zaph's thoughts on high Xmax woofers
          This is VERY, VERY, OLD NEWS. And as Zaph himself stated when asked about this, it must be kept in context since it's certainly not an absolute.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Well good luck getting your hands on an audiopulse as TC sounds has been closed up from what I hear.
            TC-Sounds as a brand name is gone. There will be drivers from Audio Pulse which is a new company formed by the people that ran TC-Sounds.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Audiopulse was TC-Sounds brand. From what I've heard and confirmed through someone I know at the company Audiopulse and TC-Sounds are both no longer open for business. From what I heard they got shut down by the government and are under investigation.

Also if you look at the page on PE

Look down at the warranty info and you'll see the warranty is through PE instead of through AudioPulse.

Comment

• Martijn_H
                • Nov 2007

haha!

The best isn't always the cheapest! :lol: When I buy woofers they must be shipped to the Netherlands, so I am always a little unlucky. RS390 would cost me 300dollar.

I know the article from Zaphaudio, but I don't often use my system for background music! :W

I now use BMS15N840 woofers and I like them a lot.

For another project (that might come) I want to use good hifiwoofers, with the SS 15W and neo3pdr. Dayton has a nice price for the RS390, but I would like to see distortion measurements.

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

I think the RS 15" uses the same motor as the RS 12", or at least very similar, and the first major cone breakup is up around 1.5 kHz, so it should have no trouble playing up to 300 Hz. Not many true sub drivers can do that. As I recall, Monte Kay, who tested the 12" so favorably, is planning an uber-dipole system with 24 of the 15" (12 per side) so he must think they are okay.

Comment

• Martijn_H
                    • Nov 2007

24?? :E Why not 6*24" http://www.hempacoustics.com/Tsuzure...heet_ready.pdf

I thought I was a little crazy doing 4* 15's! :lol:

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                      I think the RS 15" uses the same motor as the RS 12"
                      It does. We were going to test the RSS390's I bought for the Isiris. Unfortunately Jon was buried by work so no testing has been possible.

IMO for people living in the US they're a best buy.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah I plan to build a 15" RSS390 in like a 18" cube enclosure I believe it was and it played quite strongly down to about 10hz in the sim. Will it do that in real world I'm not sure but pretty impressive regardless.

Comment

• chrismercurio
                          • May 2007

Jbl W15gtimk2

I think this is a driver worth a look. I don't have one...but have wanted to pick up a pair from eBay for some testing/listening. They usually sell for $250-300 each there. Obviously not the screaming deal provided by the Dayton, but at that price they are a compelling value in my opinion. The only drawback is the ugly dustcap....

C

Comment

• Martijn_H
                            • Nov 2007

In the KT2007/03 There is a test with the Aurasound NS15 woofer.

I don't think it's distortion is lower than that of the dayton woofer, but I might get my hands on some Aurasound! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"