X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monzanut
    • Mar 2008

Looking for cheap titanium or aluminium dome tweeter in UK

First off, I must say that I have gained a huge amount from reading through this forum - thanks.

I am planning on building a fairly cheap (but decent quality) surround sound set of speakers (5.1). I want to keep the satellite speakers pretty small. I have spotted the HiVi B3N (or possibly the M4N) and am now on the lookout for a cheap metal (titanium or aluminium) tweeter to give a slightly smoother top end.

I have seen the reviews on Zaphs site for the Aura NT1-204-8D which looks great, but doesn't seem to be available in the UK - please correct me if I'm wrong. The only tweeters I have been able to find in the UK in that sort of price range are these:

and

but I cannot find any information (freq response etc...) about them. I suspect they may be really rubbish! Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

The 2nd tweeter is junk. Looks exactly like the old tweeter in my last project. I never realized how bad it was until I replaced it with a $13 Hi-Vi soft dome.

Consider a soft dome if you want smooth sound. I don't know if you can find anything similar to the Dayton neo-domes over there but they would be a great low cost tweeter for your project.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:22 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• peter_m
      • Sep 2007

If you have access to HiVi drivers look into the "K1".

Comment

• megamuel
        • Oct 2007

Hi, I'm from Cheshire too! Small world. Anyway, have a look at www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk for drivers. I don't think they have Aura but they do have some other reputable brands there. However, you might find it cheaper to actually buy the parts from America and pay extra to have them shipped. I'm working on my first project now and thats what I did. Most decent drivers in the UK are double the price of what they are in America, so if you buy them all in one go its probably cheaper to buy from America, plus you have a better choice with companies like madisound and parts express. If you haven't visited parts express already - go to the main page for this forum and there is a link at the top which will take you there, make sure if you buy anything from there do it through clicking that link because it helps keep this site running. Also parts express shipped to me in 2 days which is pretty damn impressive, most UK companies can't even manage that! I've found that most drivers are the same number of dollars as pounds, so if one is $60 in the US then its £60 in the UK. You can buy a decent tweeter from parts express for like $20 which is like £10, not even a round of drinks down the pub! How much is beer in America???

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"