X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

12db/oct alignments

I've seen people using 3 different types of alignments for 12db/oct crossovers:
    1: Linkwitz/Riley
    2: Butterworth
    3: Bessel
    I've noticed all set up resonance at the crossover frequency, so what it the difference among the 3? Is one any better than the other?

What is the theory behind how a 12db/oct crossover works? How does the speakers impedance affect the peak voltages at resonance? I know you can't calculate simple Xc and Xl values like in a 6db circuit. Or do you guys even think about this stuff anymore since we have computers to do the work for us these days?

Speaking of computers doing the work is there a good easy to use program that will model output response based on component values?
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

LR gives a flat sum which is ideal. In practice, you usually have to modify it a bit because the acoustic center of the woofer is behind the tweeter.

Passive Crossover Designer is about as easy as it gets and it's free. Requires Excel with VBA and Analysis Toolpack installed (they aren't by default).

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

PCD requires Windows also...

And good measurement data. And... yeah. lotsa stuff.

But it's great for messing around to start to understand stuff. Or, for producing good results if you know what you're doing.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

This crossover calculator is free. It does

Use this JavaScript calculator to determine the value of inductor to use in your first order butterworth low pass filter crossover design.

But, it's just a rough start, probably won't give you what you need. It's great help for calculating tweeter L-Pads though.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by servicetech
          I've seen people using 3 different types of alignments for 12db/oct crossovers:
          I've noticed all set up resonance at the crossover frequency, so what it the difference among the 3? Is one any better than the other?

What is the theory behind how a 12db/oct crossover works? How does the speakers impedance affect the peak voltages at resonance? I know you can't calculate simple Xc and Xl values like in a 6db circuit. Or do you guys even think about this stuff anymore since we have computers to do the work for us these days?

Speaking of computers doing the work is there a good easy to use program that will model output response based on component values?
          There's a reason we have the FAQ and reference threads area....

The freeware AADE Filter Design software help section is a tutorial regarding various kinds of filters.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• servicetech
            • Sep 2007

That AADE software was EXACTLY what I was looking for, THANKS !!!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"