Insight and opinions welcomed, combine caps or buy more?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turn2
    • Dec 2006

Insight and opinions welcomed, combine caps or buy more?

At the risk of opening up a can o' worms I'd like to ask for guidance on building a crossover. This is a budget project that shouldn't run over $350 when I'm all finished, just so you understand I'm not shooting for a high end project.

As an example, on the high pass I need an 8.2uF series cap. I have an opportunity here to reduce some of my inventory, but doing so is only saving me a few $$'s. Here are the questions:

What would be the difference between combining a GE 5.0uF 400v, a 1.0uF 250v and a 2.2uf NPE to get my 8.2uF value versus just buying a Solen 8.2uF 400v cap?

Would it be any more or less acceptable to combine polys and NPE's for a shunt cap?

TIA
    Last edited by Turn2; 06 March 2008, 16:29 Thursday.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I built up the 250uF values in my 3-ways from 10uF GE's. Quite acceptable. In fact, there are some things that are better when you combine small values - ESRR (I think) comes to mind. And I might be completely messing up my terms.

The biggest problem with electrolytic caps is their variance - they also are more likely over time to change value. Keep >50% of your cap value in poly or better, and verify the value is correct, and I doubt even the most critical listener with magically golden ears would pick out the electrolytics.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"