X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ouch_my_ears
    • Mar 2008

Modifiying an existing design.

Hello everyone,

Assuming I have the know-how (don't laugh) and the equipment... If I wanted to modify Zaph's Waveguide TMM design to use the newer Seas ER18 or the Peerless 830883, would the gain be worth the effort? With the ER18, would I be giving up some low end? Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have feedback on Zaph's TMM stock or modified?

Sorry to sound so arrogant as to assume I can do better then Zaph, just wondering if there is anything to be gained as he mentions the woofers could be easily changed for a different model... If it's worth the time that is.

Regards,
    Joe
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I doubt the stock crossover would work given the different impedance and FR profiles of the CA18 versus the ER18. So you wouldn't gain anything even though the ER18 has lower distortion. It would need a crossover redesign.

Comment

• Ouch_my_ears
      • Mar 2008

I guess the Peerless is worst in terms of impedance as well?

But IF I could re-design the crossover, would it be worth the gain? If yes, then Peerless or ER18?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ouch_my_ears
        If I wanted to modify Zaph's Waveguide TMM design to use the newer Seas ER18 or the Peerless 830883, would the gain be worth the effort?
        The answer to your question is.....it depends, it depends entirely on whether or not the rest of the equipment in the signal path is adequate to the task of revealing these differences.

Posted test plots showing one driver being 'better' than another are one thing. Being able to take advantage of those differences is something completely different...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ouch_my_ears
          • Mar 2008

My amp will be changed eventually, specially since it's not rated at 4ohms. So it's not an issue. Just want one pair of good speakers and then work my way from there.

Joe

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

IMO, it's going to take a pretty substantial amp to distinguish the differences in these speakers, considering the passband where they're typically used...

Seas CA18RNX

ER18

CA18

ER18

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ouch_my_ears
              • Mar 2008

Thomas,
              thanks for taking the time and the graphs. I am just not sure what you mean by substantial? Aren't speakers usually the weakest links in a Hifi gear? What would make an amp substantial by your standard?

I just saw Zaph's THD graphs and noticed lower THD on the newer drivers ER18 and Peerless.... Compared to the CA18rnx, the ER18 has less THD anywere bellow the 1500hz mark, and the Peerless has less THD everywhere... Is it a significant improvement?

Note: Ok I'll stop editing this post to avoid any confusion.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

From Zaph's distortion curves in Thomas's post, the differences aren't enough to make it worth changing the design IMO.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Typically yes speakers are considered the weak link in the chain. But these speakers are all so closely matched it, would be extremely difficult to differentiate between them in a normal listening room using standard electronics.

Someone with bizillion dollars worth of electronics and a fantastic room setup one 'might' hear a difference, but no one with that setup would be building these speakers. (no offense intended to Zaph.... :B )

My recommendation is to build Zaph's design as published. It will be a long time before you'd be buying electronics that would allow you to hear the difference in the stock design vs a modded one, unless of course you win the Lotto....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Ouch_my_ears
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    It will be a long time before you'd be buying electronics that would allow you to hear the difference in the stock design vs a modded one, unless of course you win the Lotto....
                    LOL, if I win the Lotto, it will be nothing but live music for me baby!!! Craps, what do I do for artists that have passed on? Dam you Newman :M

But seriously I see your point. Maybe I am juts envious of that ER18 being the newest thing from Seas. I guess newer is always perceived as better by default.

Thanks guys,

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Besides, remember that this is only the FIRST set of speaks you're going to be building.

In this case, the quality of the crossover will probably contribute MORE than the subtle differences in distortion level in these drivers. Zaph does great work. So... yeah.

C
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Ouch_my_ears
                        • Mar 2008

Well I've experimented with the Hivi B3N to test my wood working skills and I knew I was going to want more as it was just to get warmed up... I just thing there are more important thing in life and want to more on after that.... Did I just say that out loud???

But seriously, only reason I would build something after the TMM would be to give as a house/wedding gift... I don't know anyone who would appreciate it to it's value... or at the very least not look at me eyes that say "where am I going to put this thing?".

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"