X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HYPERTUNE
    • Dec 2007

Any chane of a Zaph SR-717 (MTM)

A friend of mine asked me what I thought would be a good DIY kit to build and the SR-71 seemed to me to be the best choice (excellent value drivers, thoroughly sorted design and available as a nice kit with pre built crossovers)

His only concern is the fact that the sensitivity is relatively low, and the drivers have fairly low power handling (relative to his DJ/PA equipment).

We came to the conclusion that an MTM version of the SR-71's would seem like a good solution. Of course there are many other alternatives, but the Seas/JK/Madisound combo makes life very easy.....

So John, is it a possibility? (or even a good idea, for that matter ops: )
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

John and his wife just had their first child this month, so it seems very unlikely- unless he happened to have a design up his sleeve that he just decided not to post or mention. He went to a great deal of trouble designing that thing, taking all kinds of factors into account, like detailed baffle layout, room interaction, etc, and it'd be a very different speaker if you added a woofer.

If you want it to play louder, I'd suggest adding a high quality sub or two with an active crossover to keep the SR-71s from playing the low bass. Other than that, I can only say that the SR-71 really isn't that kind of speaker. It may not play as loud as the PA speakers, but it should sound far more real within its volume limits.

Is it a big deal to you that it all comes together in a kit? There are other options that could be closer to what you're looking for.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• peter_m
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by HYPERTUNE
      ...His only concern is the fact that the sensitivity is relatively low, and the drivers have fairly low power handling (relative to his DJ/PA equipment)...
      Most importantly, what is his actual goal/application? Is it home use? Is he put off by the specs just because he is used to something different for his DJ gear? That is irrelevant if his goal is DJ/PA for large spaces as he is looking at the wrong type of design.

Risking getting ahead of my self, have you looked at Zaph's Waveguide TMM design? It's more sensitive and gets very loud according to the designer himself. Keep in mind that commercial, off-the-shelf speakers usually show unrealistically massaged specs. Other possibilities out there such as: http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/ and more specificaly: http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...X_MTM_2Way.htm

Peter

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
        • Dec 2007

Thanks for the help so far...

They are intended for use at home, and would be backed up with a very capable subwoofer setup.

The idea of a kit is very appealing as it can be time consuming and expensive when parts have to be ordered and shipped overseas. (Australia)

We have decided to order the kit as is and see how it goes. No doubt it will be perfectly adequate.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"