X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    • Sep 2000

Are these router bits any good?

There are a number of places that seem to sell what appears to be a similar set of bits. Many indicate "carbide", "carbide tips", etc. Many of these kits appear in the $30-70 price range, which makes me a bit suspicious...

router bit link

Are these (or similar items) worth the money, or should I just purchase specific individual bits?

Thanks!
    Eric
    My DIY Theater Projects
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

I bought a fairly cheap set of bits and they have not done me wrong. I guess it depends on what you're using them for. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but MDF is not exactly ash or oak as far as hardness goes, so you may not need a super duper diamond coated router bit set to crank out some speakers.

Just my $0.02.
    -Chuck

Comment

• gmed
      • Dec 2006

My experience with router bits, any router bit will do a small job, few times, just OK. But if you want to do a nice job, and keep on doing it, without the bit going dull on you just after few runs, you gotta spend a little more. In my opinion, these start-up bits are a good deal and its a good idea to have one in your toolbox, but have few of the specific ones that youre gonna need for big jobs such as round over bits or chamfer bits. You really do not have to spend a lot of money either. Rockler always has good deals on them. When I made my translam speakers, I was going through them like hot cakes.

Comment

• gmed
        • Dec 2006

Actually, MDF can takes a toll on the bits because of the glue that is used to bond it, but not as bad as hard wood.

Comment

• Eric S
          • Sep 2000

I'm planning on a 5-pack of Avro speakers. Each speaker has two 12" drivers, two 8" drivers, and a tweeter. Just about have all of the drivers, so it will soon be time to make some dust.

I'm not sure exactly what type of wood I'll be using. I was contemplating 18mm baltic birch laminated to 1/2" MDF or something similar. Perhaps I'm better off with a smaller number of better quality bits for this project.

Eric
          My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Rolex
            • Mar 2005

MDF is one of the hardest materials on a router bit I have found. Even more so than standard hard woods. Be prepared to go through bits fairly quickly. Flush trim bits are notorious for shrinking in size when being used on mdf, thus, not being flush trim bits anymore.

Comment

• stangbat
              • Jan 2008

I bought this set from Harbor Freight on Sunday for $50.
              Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I haven't used them yet, but my line of thinking was along what gmed stated. It has every bit I'm going to need for my ZDT3 build (roundover, straight, trim, chamfer). If I bought individual bits, I would have paid much more. Granted they would have been better quality, but I'm not making a living with them. I only need them to get me through one project. Any more is icing on the cake. Plus I now have 20 other bits in case something else comes up.

Comment

• servicetech
                • Sep 2007

I love Harbor Freight tools. MUCH cheaper than other places and decent quality.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                  • Sep 2007

Here's another online shop (MLCS) with reasonable router bit prices and fast shipping (at least to Ohio). I like their Katana bits as they are a step above their house brand. They carry some unusual bits you won't find at Lowe's too.

Shop HValley Tools for premium woodworking tools, 3D printers, laser engraver and CNC Machines. Trusted Brands MLCS Woodworking and Eagle America.
                  My audio projects:
                  http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Ray Collins
                    • Mar 2006

Buying router bits one at a time on an as needed basis is the sensible program. Speaker building is a very narrow router appliction using only a few bits; carbide bits will serve you through several projects before sharpening or replacement is needed. Having a collection of ogee, hand rail, etc. bits only ties up your cash in unuseable inventory.

MLCS is/started as a co-op and continues as an effort to reduce costs by eleminating the middleman. They sell good merchandise. Premium bits like CMT, Whitesides, Freud, etc. are available online from several vendors at substantial discounts; these bits not only last longer but run vibration free/judder free and yield smoother cuts. You only need a few bits...pick quality over quantity.

Experience gives the test first and the lesson second...

Ray
                    Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Rich Jura
                      • Jun 2007

I have this phobia about shattering tool bits, I'll use carbide saw blades from China.The saw has a nice enclosure around the part of the blade facing me.
                      When I have my face a foot or so from a bit spinning 25K RPM ( the old eyes aren't what they used to be ) I'll pop the extra 10 or 15 dollars for a premium
                      bit.In the grand scheme of things that ain't much.

Later
                      Rich

Comment

• Eric S
                        • Sep 2000

Thanks to all who have contributed their insights! As is typical, I find some time to start thinking about a project and then I get tied up at work for an extended period of time and am not able to check back as often as I like.

Rich, you have put a different perspective on things for me - good advice indeed, thank you!

Eric
                        My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I've used everything from cheap Chinese to $pendy high-end brands, and never had problems with any of them...

At one time Costco had a box with 24 carbide bits for $50. They work just fine...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• yousuredo2
                            • Jun 2006

I got a set of HOBART bits from amazon.com for about $40 shipped
                            they have been fine so far, I do alot of Hobby projects (Moderate use)...
                            chris
                            My System
                            ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                            ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                            ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                            ~ Sony PS.3
                            ~ Xbox 360
                            ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                            ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                            ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                            ~ Behringer ep2500
                            ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• jkoll42
                              • Mar 2008

Really good link of a router bit test - completely objective. They used a cnc machine to run a straight bit through melamine flakeboard.

If you are looking for a local source for a good bit listed in this shootout, most Sears carry the Freud line. Good bits

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

I built a pair of Arvo's and used up 3 1/4" spiral bits and 1 3/4" straight cut bit. I now buy the bits 3 at a time so I don't run out and have to pay a box store price when I just want to keep working. I have found good deals on bits at that auction place. As far as MDF being hard to cut, try cutting some wood on the table saw with the lights out and watch for the sparks! It is not a hardwood but it is hell on cutting surfaces.

Comment

• Eric S
                                  • Sep 2000

Originally posted by chasw98
                                  I built a pair of Arvo's and used up 3 1/4" spiral bits and 1 3/4" straight cut bit.
                                  Yikes! I'm building 5 speakers for my theater. Each baffle will likely be 18mm BB laminated to particle board or MDF, or a thinner piece of BB. Guess I better buy a bucket full of bits :B

Eric
                                  My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"