X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HYPERTUNE
    • Dec 2007

TB W8-1363SB or Dayton RSS210HF-4

I want to build a pair of sealed enclosures of 16l internal volume (that's all I have to work with) with one 8" sub each. The pair will be powered by one Dayton 500w amp (running 8 ohm) hopefully using the parametric eq capability of the amp to get resonable extention. (bearing in mind that I don't expect flat response to 20hz)

I'm after some advice as to which would be the preferred driver in this application.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Perhaps you could post links or paste in T/S parameters of the drivers?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

What's your budget? What's the application, HT or music?
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Perhaps you could post links or paste in T/S parameters of the drivers?

TB W8 : Specifications: Power handling: 120 watts RMS/240 watts max *VCdia: 2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.20 ohms *Frequency range: 30-800 Hz *Fs: 30 Hz *SPL: 84 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .66 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.26 *Qes: .31 *Qts: .29 *Xmax: 12 mm *Dimensions: A: 8-5/8", B: 7-1/4", C: 4-3/4".

Dayton RSS210 : Specifications: *Power handling: 280 watts RMS/500 watts max *VCdia: 2" *Le: .84 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.3 ohms *Frequency range: 27 - 1,000 Hz *Fs: 27 Hz *Magnet weight: 50 oz. *SPL: 86 dB 2.83 V/1m *Vas: 1.22 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.86 *Qes: .47 *Qts: .40 *Xmax: 9mm *Dimensions: A: 8-1/2", B: 7-1/4", C: 4-3/4".

As far as budget is concerned, two Dayton 8" and the plate amp is around $480, but I guess I would spend more if necessary.

Application is say, 80% music 20% HT.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

That's a tough call, if it has to go in a 16L cu ft box, the Tang Band is your best bet..

But I sure like the case frame, metal cone and power handling of the RSS210....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
            • Dec 2007

Yeah, I do like the Dayton driver. It certainly has an air of quality about it and would be a good match with my metal cone Seas W15's.

I ran the numbers through WinISD and the Dayton had more low end but some of the other results I got seemed a little strange (Q .71 gave a box size of around 5l sealed for the TB???) so iI figured I might be doing something wrong.

I have practically no experience hearing different combinations of drivers and enclosures, but my guess in this instance is that aside from frequency response, I would be juggling the potentially better sound from the Dayton (lower distortion with metal cone?) and the fact that the overall Q would be better using the TB (as it is more suited to the 16l enclosure)

I would be interested to know how someone with more experience would approach this. (other than the obvious answers like bigger box, bigger drivers) :

Comment

• Rick Craig
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by HYPERTUNE
              I want to build a pair of sealed enclosures of 16l internal volume (that's all I have to work with) with one 8" sub each. The pair will be powered by one Dayton 500w amp (running 8 ohm) hopefully using the parametric eq capability of the amp to get resonable extention. (bearing in mind that I don't expect flat response to 20hz)

I'm after some advice as to which would be the preferred driver in this application.
              What will be your crossover point?

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                What will be your crossover point?

I'm expecting around 80hz.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by HYPERTUNE
                  I'm expecting around 80hz.
                  I ran the numbers in BassBox Pro and I think the Dayton would be an excellent choice. I could help you tweak the settings if you like with some nearfield measurements.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"