X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IllNastyImpreza
    • Jan 2008

Best SIMPLE speaker ??

I want to build some Modula MTs for my front stage. But I will also need 2 more for my suround speakers...

is there a good speaker out there that is SUPER simple to build ??? I have lots of experience soldering and wiring and whatnot...But ZERO experience building crossovers.
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

You could buy a 5.25" woofer w/smooth roll off and add a Dayton neo tweeter. Use a 5.1UF cap to crossover at 5khz, doesn't get much simpler than that. (BTW thats my plan for my surrounds)

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

If you can solder you shouldn't have a problem with most of the designs here. It seems intimidating at 1st, but it's really quite easy once you do a couple. It should be even easier for you as I had never soldered before I did my 1st one.

None of these comments apply to Jon's Modula NeoCC though. :B

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by servicetech
        You could buy a 5.25" woofer w/smooth roll off and add a Dayton neo tweeter. Use a 5.1UF cap to crossover at 5khz, doesn't get much simpler than that. (BTW thats my plan for my surrounds)
        Most folks around here care about sound quality.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
          • Jan 2008

well I've got a set of DC28F silk domes, is there a good MT design out there that I could use for my surrounds ?

I read about the dayton MT but its only like 82DB sensitive and I'm afraid my weak Yamaha HTR 5630 reciever wont be able to drive them as surrounds...

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by IllNastyImpreza
            well I've got a set of DC28F silk domes, is there a good MT design out there that I could use for my surrounds ?

I read about the dayton MT but its only like 82DB sensitive and I'm afraid my weak Yamaha HTR 5630 reciever wont be able to drive them as surrounds...
            Yes, that's what you get with a MT.

You could try to work something up with a pro driver to gain sensitivity, but you'd probably lose a little more bottom end extension.

If you're not size constrained, take a look at Curt C's Triune or Tri-Trix.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• servicetech
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by cjd
              Most folks around here care about sound quality.
              He wanted SUPER simple and this is for surround duty, I wouldn't recommend that setup for the mains. I picked that design for mine since I already have the 5.25" speakers. I think it will sound decent considering I'm investing less than $20 for the pair (got the 5.25's for free). I'd put it up against anything store bought that costs under $100/pr.

What is the budget/goals for this project anyways? Since you already own the DC28F I would go with a true 2 way design. Do you have any woofers on hand that you could use or would you need to buy? PE has some Audax 5.25" on sale for $18. I've not tested them but they look like good speakers. For a bit more money you can go with a tried and true Tang Bang for $25.

OK so I'm a cheapskate budget builder... I can't justify buying overpriced store bought speakers. Anything under $200/pr seem to use junk for drivers/crossovers :cry:

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Super simple??

Stick a TB W4 or that Jordan driver Zaphs reviewed recently in a sealed box, full range and call it done. If you want to get little fancier, you could add the notch filter.

It won't be perfect, but it will be decent. That sounds like what you're after.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                  • Jan 2008

^ do you have a link to the review of the full range speaker in the sealed box ??

might be a good option for my surrounds as of now... I really don't have the time to build all 5 speakers right now.

as for my front stage... If I build the Dayton MTM , Would it matter if I moved them to the rear surrounds eventualy ? like... is there any reason other than size that it would be a problem ??

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

If you want very inexpensive and easy to build, I'd recommend Curt's Tri-Trix design. It sounds way better than it has any right to and it won the Super Budget category at the 2006 Iowa DIY event against very tough competition. Here's a LINK

HTH

Jim

Comment

• servicetech
                      • Sep 2007

I love Curt's simple crossovers. I wonder how much better they would really sound if he used a more complex design.

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

It will drive them just fine. In fact, they will get quite loud; around 100dB with 82dB sensitivity. I have a RX-V661, which is rated for 90W, or a 105 with a lot more distortion and I have no problem driving all 5 (largish) speakers; 2 Modula MT, 2 Mark K's RS225/RS28A, and Curt's WTMW, all actively crossed over at 80Hz to the sub.
                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I love Curt's simple crossovers. I wonder how much better they would really sound if he used a more complex design.
                          Every crossover designer has their own approach. Curt's crossovers are designed to control the drivers just like everyone else. He may approach it differently sometimes but you can't argue with his results. He's won more classes at the Iowa DIY events than anyone else the last couple years against many, many excellent designs. Several are posted in the Mission Accomplished section.

Curt is a VERY accomplished crossover designer, IMHO.

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Comment

• servicetech
                            • Sep 2007

That being said I wonder how necessary it is to build complex crossovers? Are they really worth the extra cost, or is the money better spent using higher quality drivers? I'm guessing Curt has figured out a way to deal with rising woofer impedance w/o using a zobel network. It appears as if he simply increased the value of the cap across the woofer instead of using a true zobel. Is there software that will do this or is it more of a trial/error thing?

What I respect most about Curt is he gets awesome sound without having to rack up the credit card.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

That being said I wonder how necessary it is to build complex crossovers? Are they really worth the extra cost, or is the money better spent using higher quality drivers? I'm guessing Curt has figured out a way to deal with rising woofer impedance w/o using a zobel network. It appears as if he simply increased the value of the cap across the woofer instead of using a true zobel. Is there software that will do this or is it more of a trial/error thing?

What I respect most about Curt is he gets awesome sound without having to rack up the credit card.
                              Not all of Curt's crossovers are that simple. Check out the Mini Statements. I think he lets the drivers tell him what they need and then decides the best way to accomplish his goals. Jon likes the Cauer Eliptical approach and others use more standard LR or Butterworth crossovers. Actually, Curt uses a hybrid approach to shape response from what I can tell. I'm not a crossover guy so my comments are purely observations and may not be totally accurate.

Regardless, I've found great sounding speakers from a lot of different crossover designers. :T

Jim

Comment

• bikedave
                                • Aug 2007

I'm excited to hear all the praise for the Curt's TriTrix! I just ordered all the components and drivers from PE and am getting close to finishing the enclosures. Curt has been a great help and has an easy to understand write-up on each of his designs as well as detailed cutsheets and even a crossover layout diagram. Doesn't get much easier than that for a first timer! Thanks Curt!

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                  • Jan 2008

I decided I'm going to build a pair of tritrix MT speakers. But I just realized I have the NON shielded version of the 1 1/8'' dayton silk domes ...the dc28F , does this matter at all ??

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by IllNastyImpreza
                                    I decided I'm going to build a pair of tritrix MT speakers. But I just realized I have the NON shielded version of the 1 1/8'' dayton silk domes ...the dc28F , does this matter at all ??
                                    That would be a Curt question. He posts more on PE or you can shoot him an email.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"