substitute DC28F tweeter in Modula MT ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IllNastyImpreza
    • Jan 2008

substitute DC28F tweeter in Modula MT ??

I have a pair of RS180 speakers and DC28F tweeters

Will these will work for the Modula MT design ???

how could I possible tell if these tweets will work, are they not verry similar to the DC28A ??
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

No, sorry- it won't work. There's a version with the Seas tweeter, 27TDFC, and one with the dayton reference series tweeter, RS28A. It's possible that you could use that tweeter and nothing would catch on fire or explode, and sound might come out, but the designer took a lot of things into consideration in great detail with simulations, measurements, and listening. They are just different tweeters, and it's not an easy substitution.

It's possible that the crossover could be adapted to work, but it's unlikely that anybody would go to the effort. The two tweeters that will work have far lower distortion and better overall performance than the DC28F. It's true that the DC28F is not a bad value for the money, and can sound pretty decent in a low dollar design, but the Modula MT aims much higher than that. The DC28F might be competitive with a lot of commercial speakers that you could get at radio shack or best buy, but the Modula MT performs at a level that competes at a much higher level.

Much of the cost of the crossover for the Modula MT is taken up by components required to tame the metal cone breakup of the RS180. You're not going to get away from that and have something listenable, so you may as well spend a little extra for the proper (much higher performing) tweeters to get the most out of it.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
      • Jan 2008

^ awesome responce. thanks man... I guess I do understand why the 28As are so much more money...

I guess I can make some rear channel speakers with these or something...

I believe there is dayton MT that uses these....but the classic dayton drivers are junk.... hhmm

you know of any decent designs that use these tweets ??

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

The Dayton Classic drivers are junk, yet you want to use a tweeter that's a great match for them quality-wise? Color me confused.

Decent designs with those tweets? Yup. They use the Dayton classic mid-woofers...

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjd
          The Dayton Classic drivers are junk, yet you want to use a tweeter that's a great match for them quality-wise? Color me confused.

Decent designs with those tweets? Yup. They use the Dayton classic mid-woofers...

C
          :lol:

ok ok, I never thought about it like that.

well I don't want to throw these away, so I guess I can make a nice simple dayton MT for the rears, or even computer speakers or something.

is there a simple crossover design available? I've never built a crossover before, but I have tons of experience with soldering and building speaker boxes and whatnot (for car audio)

any decent write-ups on the dayton MT ?

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

Yeah, Parts Express has at least one:

It's a good way to get your feet wet without spending a lot of money. If you mess up, it's not the end of the world. You'll probably still be quite happy with the results- just don't think that this is the last word in quality.

Oh yeah, here's another:

Parts Express's list is here: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ojectindex.cfm

Just be careful that you mind the part number- the 28DCFS is shielded, and has different characteristics. I'm glad my response was some help.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by IllNastyImpreza
              you know of any decent designs that use these tweets ??
              Yes. THis guy pretty much mastered the use of the Dayton Classic drivers. Squeezed about as much performance from them as one could get. Nice sounding stuff, in my opinion.

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                • Jan 2008

o wait a minute... My tweets are NOT shielded... will this matter ??

niether are my pair of RS180 that I'm gona use for my modula MT build... does that matter ??

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

yep.

The Sheiled version is 8ohm versus 4ohm, and has totally different T/S parameter.

You got a couple threads going. May want to try and limit to one. I'm getting confused.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                    • Jan 2008

ahh crap... I might as well just sell the 4 OHM version... I originaly bought them to put in my car, but I really don't have the time/money to install a fully active system right now

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"