X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrockman
    • Aug 2007

open baffle design software

I am very interested in a number of open baffle MTM designs, and would like to build some test baffles.

My objective is to work towards a seperately powered sealed woofer section and then an OB MTM section. It's the MTM section I'd really like to study and compare various driver and baffle size effects.

Is there baffle design software specific to open baffle?

Any recommendations? I don't see too many of these types of DIY designs here.
  • Mark K
    • Feb 2002

There are a couple of options. Search for a program called the edge. Also, John k sells a dipole design guide which is well worth the money. Otherwise, SL's site-no modeling software, but useful.

Most importantly you just have to build a couple baffles and measure. It's very empirical because it depends on driver directivity which is very experimental and not easily simulated.

Last edited by Mark K; 25 February 2008, 10:18 Monday.
    www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Rudolf
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rbrockman
      My objective is to work towards a seperately powered sealed woofer section and then an OB MTM section. It's the MTM section I'd really like to study and compare various driver and baffle size effects.

Is there baffle design software specific to open baffle? Any recommendations?
      EDGE, John K.s Dipole ABC and Martin J. Kings Worksheets are not capable of MTM configs AFAIK.
      Rudolf
      dipolplus.de

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Rudolf
        EDGE, John K.s Dipole ABC and Martin J. Kings Worksheets are not capable of MTM configs AFAIK.
        Not specifically. However, I'm not aware of any software that can. In fact, this would be quite challenging since the behavior at the high end of the woofer/mid will not be fully dipole and depend heavily on the inherent polar response of the driver, as well as the baffle. The models will only take you so far.

Still, I think the edge and John K's software will give you a rough idea of how high to run the mid panel. After that, it's a reasonable extension into the MTM format. One just has to cut the baffles, measure, and think.
        Last edited by Mark K; 25 February 2008, 10:17 Monday.
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Pardon the threadjack, but how's that board and it's attached drivers coming along? Interested in how flexible it would be for other crossover use...

Comment

• Mark K
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by JonP

Pardon the threadjack, but how's that board and it's attached drivers coming along? Interested in how flexible it would be for other crossover use...
            It depends on what you want to use it for.

It's essentially two channels of eq in the following order-

1rst order highpass rumble/buffer---2nd order highpass---notch filter--dipole eq.

It is based on John K's spreadsheet although the order of sections is changed and the pole shifting circuit is eliminated.

It's meant to do inline eq to compensate for dipole behavior. So it would go between the preamp and amp (or effects loop,etc.). It does not actively split the signal into lowpassed and highpassed signals to be fed into 4 channels. (i.e. you still have to have a passive eq for the woofer/tweeter.) Hope that made sense.

It's pretty easily modifiable. I'm toying with the idea of making the RST dipole all active.

I've got some prototype boards coming Thursday so we'll see.

Jon, what did you have in mind?
            www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonP
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mark K
              It depends on what you want to use it for.

It's essentially two channels of eq in the following order-

1rst order highpass rumble/buffer---2nd order highpass---notch filter--dipole eq.

It is based on John K's spreadsheet although the order of sections is changed and the pole shifting circuit is eliminated.

It's meant to do inline eq to compensate for dipole behavior. So it would go between the preamp and amp (or effects loop,etc.). It does not actively split the signal into lowpassed and highpassed signals to be fed into 4 channels. (i.e. you still have to have a passive eq for the woofer/tweeter.) Hope that made sense.

It's pretty easily modifiable. I'm toying with the idea of making the RST dipole all active.

I've got some prototype boards coming Thursday so we'll see.

Jon, what did you have in mind?
              Oh, just musing on a few ideas... simple active crossover for a sub, something to do exactly what you built it for, handle the dipole comp... Wouldn't mind a good basic full crossover with time alignment, but that's a few more op amps...

Maybe I should get off my posterior and breadboard up something myself...

Comment

• Mark K
                • Feb 2002

Hi Jon,

you can take a look at the dipole progress so far.

www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Mark K
                  • Feb 2002

There, changed my sig

...oh, it changes it in old posts too. Nice.
                  www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• John D
                    • Mar 2007

Whoow.... That looks a lot better!
                    :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"