X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonar
    • Feb 2006

good deal on router

so I bought a jasper jig for circle cutting and when it arrived I discovered that it wasn't compatible with my el-cheapo generic no-brand $50 router.

taking this as an opportunity to get a better router, I started looking around, figuring I'd get a basic 1hp name brand router.

got lucky and found a nice hitachi 2.5 hp with both fixed and plunge bases. it's not a pro grade router, but a really nice hobbyist router. it arrived last night and it looks so nice, I thought I'd share...

anyway, hitachi km12vc, $99 + shipping (315 list), toolbarn.com

if this posting is inappropriate, moderators please purge it. just wanted to share a good deal with the folks who've helped me learn so much.
  • CupCak3
    • Oct 2007

Ooh nice find. I may just jump on this.

For anyone wondering, you can see some reviews here:

Comment

• chrisn
      • Sep 2007

I do believe that is the same model I ordered. Gotta wait till next week for it I doubt my craftsman circle jig will work on this so I'll ned some thinner wood to make a new jig.

Comment

• stangbat
        • Jan 2008

I ordered one of these and it showed up today. (Thanks for the tip, gonar) I've never owned a router before, but this looks like a good piece of equipment for $99.

I did some Googling and it looks like at least some if not all Porter Cable accessories for the 690 model routers will work with it. For example the 42160 Edge Guide. It also looks like the Jasper Circle Jigs will fit it just fine.

Craftsman has a similar router that has integrated LED work lights for $20 more.

Edit: I saw this same exact Hitachi router set today (2/27) at Lowes for $179.
        Last edited by stangbat; 28 March 2008, 13:30 Friday.

Comment

• chrisn
          • Sep 2007

Got mine today. I opened it up and looked at it, it is too cold outside to try it out

Comment

• mikela
            • Mar 2008

Does the Hitachi work with the Jasper 200? I am also looking at the Dewalt DW618PKV but it is considerably more.

Mike

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mikela
              I am also looking at the Dewalt DW618PKV but it is considerably more.
              It's an ok router but the dust collection system is worthless, get the 621 instead it has an excellent dust collection system.

FWIW I have both the 618 and 621...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                It's an ok router but the dust collection system is worthless, get the 621 instead it has an excellent dust collection system.

FWIW I have both the 618 and 621...
                I keep hearing that... :W I have a 618, never tried a 621, or I might be spoiled. The 618's dust collection isn't completely non functional, only gets 50-70% of the dust. You only have it on the plunge base, anyway.

On the up side(s), you have the multi base capability. I prefer using the fixed (smaller) base when doing flush trimming and roundovering. And, being able to remove the motor will make it easy to use in a router table, if I ever get off my a$$ and install the one I bought for my table saw!

But, not having to vaccum tons of MDF dust the garage, or even the driveway, would be a nice thing!

Tradeoffs...

Comment

• stangbat
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mikela
                  Does the Hitachi work with the Jasper 200? I am also looking at the Dewalt DW618PKV but it is considerably more.

Mike
                  Yes. I've used my Hitachi KM12VC with the 200 several times over the last two weeks.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonP
                    I keep hearing that... :W I have a 618, never tried a 621, or I might be spoiled. The 618's dust collection isn't completely non functional, only gets 50-70% of the dust. You only have it on the plunge base, anyway.
                    Jon,

It's one of those "comparatively speaking" things. I bought a refurb 621 and used it for quite a while. When the power switch broke I started looking around for a replacement and decided to get the 618 combo since it was offered at an amazing price. After one use the 618 has been gathering dust (not making it), because it's dust collection system is so poor compared to that of the 621.

If dust collection isn't a priority then the 618 package is a good deal.

Since I have a couple Hitachi MV12's for routing outdoors, I insist on good dust collection for any router that's used indoors. The 621 is the best 'low cost' router I've found that has very good dust collection, since I'm way too cheap to pay the premium for Festool products..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

It's one of those "comparatively speaking" things. I bought a refurb 621 and used it for quite a while. When the power switch broke I started looking around for a replacement and decided to get the 618 combo since it was offered at an amazing price. After one use the 618 has been gathering dust (not making it), because it's dust collection system is so poor compared to that of the 621.
                      Let me know if you feel like parting with that 618
                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• JonP
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        Jon,

If dust collection isn't a priority then the 618 package is a good deal.

Since I have a couple Hitachi MV12's for routing outdoors, I insist on good dust collection for any router that's used indoors. The 621 is the best 'low cost' router I've found that has very good dust collection, since I'm way too cheap to pay the premium for Festool products..
                        Festool... now we're talking money! :E

Another aspect to my opinion... it should be noted that I'm a So Cal native and resident.

My driveway is available year round, except when it's raining, and how often does that happen down here? If I had to be indoors for part of the year like many... I'd be a LOT pickier about dust removal!

A major part of my router dust control system is my garage door.... :T

Comment

• kejolly
                          • Jan 2006

Thanks for the heads up gonar

Thanks for the notice gonar...mine is on order :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Gir
                            Let me know if you feel like parting with that 618
                            I pulled the motor and have it mounted in a router table plate

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"