Tall order - Seeking some help from the wise ;)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BasiCEvil
    • Feb 2006

Tall order - Seeking some help from the wise ;)

Well, I have been wrecking my brain trying to figure out how to accomplish this task that I have walked myself into and after hours of numerous thoughts I resort to the ever knowing webforum!

Seeking some help on what has, in my head, become a close to impossible task.

I am looking to outfit my rather small TV/AV area with a smaller, yet dynamic 5.1 system that will wow customers and entice them to make purchases or at least have people hang around long enough to allow their inner demons to convince them that they need to make a purchase.

At the moment, we have no audio manufacturer represented in this area and pretty much just display the audio equipment on shelves with the TV's (LCD, Plasma & DLP) actively running the video content.

I am looking for some recommendations on a setup that is fairly easy to build that can be run off a nice receiver.

I, along with a good carpenter friend of mine intend to build the 5.1 or 5.2, if an extra sub is necessary.

I guess now that I have rambled on, most will ask for specifications on the room/area..

The area, is 3 walls with the back and ceiling opening to the rest of the store.

The area measures 16'(w) x 19'(d) with a 14' open ceiling. The focal wall is full height and the side walls are 9.5'

Looking for a point in the direction that I should approach this.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

What is your budget?

Check here for ideas.

Jed

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Not that I am an expert, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I assume that you are hoping to entice customers into investing a bit in the sound side of their HT by showing them what could be.

That may feel like a small space in the context of a store, but it's fairly big especially with the open end and ceiling. I'd go with one of the larger floorstanders (Statements, Khanspire or RS three ways for mains), RS WMTW center and Modula MTM or Nat P surrounds.

If you want to go smaller, I would go for either Modula MTM or Nat P mains with Modula MT surrounds, heeping the WMTW center. I wouldn't try to go smaller or you risk losing the dynamic capability you requested.

For sub use, the Tempest-X in a 3-5 cubic foot sealed box would do nicely - although given the size of the room you might go for two.

From a customer perspective, keep the demo volume under control. I can't stand thumbing through the bins at certain stores for an interesting CD while something I don't care for is blasting so loud that I can't think. I know, my middle age is showing

Comment

• BasiCEvil
        • Feb 2006

Budget is roughly $2,500.00 give or take a couple hundred.

BobEllis - You hit the nail on the head. Totally playing on the "what it could be" side of things. Considering that I may move the company in a direction of carrying a more complete HT and Audio lineup, I figure this would be a good introduction.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

When all of the Mission Accomplish designs are soooooo good, it is hard to pick one versus another.

I'm partial to my own. But, the Statements are another great design that would really wow people. If you want something a little smaller, that would appeal to a wider audience, then something like the NatP would be a nice middle size speaker. Stepping down in size, but not quality, I would look at the LineUp speakers by Jed. Based on my experience with the LineUp D4, I think the D4 or D44 would be great.

Though, I'm a little confused which direction your thinking about going. Please note that these designs are given away free, but they are not intended for commercial use. You can NOT sell finished speakers based on any of these designs without permission from the designers.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Good point, Ryan. Even if the speakers are just used to show how good it can be, it is a commercial use. It is appropriate to get the designer's permission before placing them in service.

I suspect that the main idea is to convince people to invest in commercial speakers and receivers more substantial than a HTIB or B$e junk, rather than sell versions of the designs here. Too bad the designs are so good. Customers may get frustrated when they figure out how much they need to spend to get close with a commercial speaker.

BasiCEvil - you ought to add a signature with your name in it to bring yourself into compliance with forum rules.

Comment

• BasiCEvil
              • Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess I have some reading to do.

The intention is not to sell or even offer information on the speakers that would be on display, unless the designers so desire, but I do thank you for mentioning that I should contact the designer to see if they wouldn't mind me using their design.

I think that I would like to mount whatever speaker I use on the wall, so as not to use up too much floor space, so that eliminates a few of the designs. Has anyone here run the NatP's off a receiver? Any troubles?

Lastly, what is the best resource out there for learning how to build a crossover. A buddy of mine has all the soldering equipment that I would need, but I just need to read a little on exactly what it is I am trying to accomplish.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"