X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

Variable Phase Manipulation Software

I'd like to manipulate the phase (very accurately) on individual loudspeaker drivers and have the ability to vary the phase angle wrt frequency. I'd like to do this for between 16-32 outputs.

What program will get me there?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by thadman
    I'd like to manipulate the phase (very accurately) on individual loudspeaker drivers and have the ability to vary the phase angle wrt frequency. I'd like to do this for between 16-32 outputs......What program will get me there?
    One that you develop by writing the code from scratch...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

Look at pro audio soundcards (ones with multi outputs) with pro tool style software, ones that use FIR type filters. There was a program that Shinobiwan (on diyaudio) was using that sounds like it would fit the bill. I can't remember what it was called.

Comment

• dwk
        • Apr 2005

16-32 outputs from any system is going to be a challenge - you're into pro gear like RME cards with 2-3 ADAT converter boxes.

In terms of software, BruteFIR is the normal starting point for this sort of thing. The author developed it for Ambiophonic/Ambiosonic systems, and it will easily handle 32+ channels if your system is up to it. It only runs under Linux though. Fortunately, RME cards are well supported under Linux, so this is a very viable approach.
        There are convolution reverb systems for Windows/VST, but I'm not sure whether they are as scalable as BruteFIR. Google for ambiovolver or xvolver, or barring that 'convolution and vst'.

In all of these approaches it's assumed that you will programmatically create your own filters.

I'm not aware of any easy non-PC ways to do this. I know the Ambiophonic guy used a truckload of TACT boxes for his hardware implementation, which would tend to indicate that there isn't a single-box system that will do this off-the-shelf.

Comment

• thadman
          • Jan 2007

For this type of processing would a MacPro or PC based setup perform better? Stability is very important. Not trying to start a flamewar, but I am truly interested in which would be better.

As far as soundcards, I was looking at the Apogee Symphony alignment along with the Mac Pro.

Would Waves Linear Phase Equalizer work? I believe thats what Shinobiwan used.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

If you want stability, Linux is going to be there. Mac would be right there with it assuming their pro hardware in the tower cases, etc., followed by ... well... I assume by PC you meant Windows.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Biff
              • Jul 2006

Jan Luczek

Hope I got the name right - sells just such a package IIRC called the phase arbitrator. He demo'ewd at a DC DIY event a couple of years back and it is a very useful tool. I believe he had a sale going on the software last fall Ah, found it - hope this is what you were looking for!http://www.thuneau.com/arbitrator.htm

Comment

• dwk
                • Apr 2005

Jan's Allocator is nice, but not really what the OP is looking for. Jan only phase-corrects specific crossover topologies, and doesn't provide arbitrary single-driver manipulation. For this you really need an FIR engine, unless I'm completely missing something.

Thadman, if you're looking at the Apogee stuff, then you've climbed out of my level of experience. My instincts say that a Mac OSX system will be a better bet than a Windows PC, but I would think that there are studio-oriented forums/groups that would have a lot more experience and provide better opinions.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"