X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

What to do with all these speakers.

Just wanted to know what you do with all your "extra" speakers every time you build a new project. Speaker building can be very addictive (I speak as a recovering addict) and you end up with more speakers than anybody on the block. I've never had much luck ever selling them, most people who are willing to buy high end speakers want something commercially made.
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Excellent question! I've only been at this a year or two and I'm already wondering the same thing.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ttan98
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by servicetech
        Just wanted to know what you do with all your "extra" speakers every time you build a new project. Speaker building can be very addictive (I speak as a recovering addict) and you end up with more speakers than anybody on the block. I've never had much luck ever selling them, most people who are willing to buy high end speakers want something commercially made.
        I am in the same situation, these are a few suggestions:

Give away if you can afford it, esp to those who about to start a new home, or students or your children.

or

dismantle them, sell drivers on Ebay and reuse cabinet or use as firewood if these are not good enough in your opinion.

or

stereo pair sold through Ebay with no minimun, eventually they find a good home.

cheers.

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

There was some good advice in that thread but I never did get rid of any speakers I've built.

I did however build a much larger home and separate garage, giving me much more room for the speakers I have. This may not be the most economical route to deal with extra speakers. :B

Comment

• Q45
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ttan98
            I am in the same situation, these are a few suggestions:

Give away if you can afford it, esp to those who about to start a new home, or students or your children.

or

dismantle them, sell drivers on Ebay and reuse cabinet or use as firewood if these are not good enough in your opinion.

or

stereo pair sold through Ebay with no minimun, eventually they find a good home.

cheers.
            Uhm, just in case anyone reading this is stupid enough to follow this guys advice, please take my advice and don't.

MDF, particle and/or press-board and adhesives are by far the worse possible thing you can set on fire, especially in your home fireplace.

Sorry there bud, but when you're wrong, you're wrong and someone has to look out for the truly stupid.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul H
              There was some good advice in that thread but I never did get rid of any speakers I've built.
              That's odd I never have any trouble selling mine...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ttan98
                • Mar 2007

I really did not know MDF is inflammable...my comments apply to myself please disregard them.

Comment

• JonP
                  • Apr 2006

Oh, it burns OK... doesn't go crazy in burning either. It's just that there's a nasty formaldehyde based resin in it to bind it together... makes for some pretty horrific smoke with evil chemicals in it.

Comment

• Rolex
                    • Mar 2005

I put a pair on audiogon and had luck selling them there. I had a ton of reponse, and even had people that wanted me to ship them. I ended up with a local sale though.

I think the trick is to sell projects that have nice woodwork. People don't want to buy someone elses experiment. So if the cabinet is finished and up to the standards of some commercially available stuff, you should be able to move it.

Parting it out seems like a waste of money as you will end up with substantially less money than you started with. But, it is a hobby.

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I have recycled previously used drivers into new projects, perhaps into a new type of application. Say to have a pair of RS180 2ways that you could add a couple RS180's to and a couple mids and make a WWMT. Unless the drivers are out of date, it is hard to beat the price of reuse rather than buying new. I've even recycled crossover parts the same way.
                      Dan N.

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

It's just that there's a nasty formaldehyde based resin in it to bind it together...
                        A lot of MDF is made with other resins nowadays since there was a lot of controversy about the formaldehyde. Probably still isn't good to burn it anyway. Whatever resin is used, it probably wouldn't be good to inhale 8O
                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Undefinition
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Gir
                          A lot of MDF is made with other resins nowadays since there was a lot of controversy about the formaldehyde. Probably still isn't good to burn it anyway. Whatever resin is used, it probably wouldn't be good to inhale 8O
                          I don't know about you, but if I cut or rout the stuff without wearing a mask, I find myself short of breath. Something tells me that means it's not good for me.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Gir
                            • Dec 2006

I don't know about you, but if I cut or rout the stuff without wearing a mask, I find myself short of breath. Something tells me that means it's not good for me.
                            That's most likely due to the dust generated from cutting the MDF. The dust is very (very) fine, and gets in your lungs and STAYS theres. Always wear a mask or hold your breath while cutting!

Back on track though, I'm very interested in what people do with their speakers. I imagine that once I have a bit more money I'll quickly run into this problem!
                            -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• servicetech
                              • Sep 2007

In the past I have been able to sell some of the lower end speakers for the cost of the drivers/crossovers. I've never built a set of speakers that cost more than $200 in drivers/crossovers, I've always used speaker building as a way to avoid the high cost of commercial speakers. I grew up in a day when parents didn't buy their teenage kids anything they wanted. One day I might break down and make a set that's in the $500 range, but for right now raising family takes most of the budget.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

I say just load them up in a white van and drive around offer to sell them to people. I'm told that works.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• chrisn
                                  • Sep 2007

I keep one pair as my garage speakers, one pair as my mains 95% of the time, I rotate various speakers for my center and rear surrounds, as well as for my 2.1 system in another room. The rest go into my neatly layed out closet (where I store "bonus" drivers). I am trying to re-use my cabinets, whether it is coincidental driver cutouts (or easily modified), making new baffles, or both. I keep the crossovers external.

Everyone I know doesn't want any speakers, even when they look good.

Comment

• Paul H
                                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                    That's odd I never have any trouble selling mine...

I believe that was a dig ...

Actually, I just never used the good advice and didn't make an effort to sell mine.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"