X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamuel
    • Oct 2007

A few pre-build questions!

I'll soon be starting to build some speakers I have designed but first I just wanted to know a few things. Firstly, what type of glue do you guys recommend for glueing cabinets? If you can please tell me the type of wood glue not the brand as I live in the UK and most of the brands are different. Secondly, how do you seal your cabinets so that they are air tight? I think I read somewhere that some types of sealant can damage the speaker cones? Silicon ok? Also is it necessary to paint the insides of the cabinets with some type of sealant so they are not porous or not? I will be using 25mm MDF to make my cabs. And lastly, dampening. Is there a general rule of when adding dampening material, i.e. so many lbs per litres? Or is it just trial and error? And, how important is the material? I've bought all my speaker parts from parts express because there is nothing like parts express here in the UK, and even if I do find speaker parts here they are a lot more expensive than buying them and having them shipped from the USA because of how the dollar is at the moment, so my question is, is it worth buying parts express "Sonic Barrier Dampening Material" and having it shipped here or would buying some roof insulation material do exactly the same thing for a fraction of the cost? Any other advice for a first time builder? Thanks in advance guys!!!

Sam
  • mlw
    • Dec 2007

re glue, a basic yellow (aliphatic resin), or modified polymer glue (Titebond I, II or III) works well with mdf, and in Fine Woodworking tests outperformed some of the newer, fancier glues. Re sealing, I used a 1/2 wide, 1/16 thick adhesive backed foam window glazing tape, have read of folks using silicone - smoothing the bead a bit, and letting it skin over good before mounting the speakers. re paint, no. re damping, depends on whether it is a sealed or ported speaker. Check the design thread, and there are several threads here on the subject. re: any other.. measure twice, take your time, etc - easy to get a little excited on your first project (recent personal experience). Have fun!

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 12:38 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• megamuel
        • Oct 2007

thanks guys!

Comment

• servicetech
          • Sep 2007

I use ordinary caulking to hold the cabinet together. Air nails hold until the caulk dries.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"