X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RYDMOTO
    • Feb 2008

Audimax DIY speaker

Hello everybody,
    My first post here.I like the people here so I made it my home.
    I was wondering what you all think about this Audimax speaker that I linked.(i hope I got it right).It will be my second DIY speaker project.The first being a subwoofer box that I built and laminated with cherry veneer.I gave it to my son for his home theater.
    I own KEF 104.2 speakers that I bought back in '86.I listened to them and bought them soon after.
    Never-the -less I been getting the itch to build some high end speakers as it has been something i always wanted to do but never really had the chance to do so.
    My woodworking skills are decent.Not expert but decent.Electronics are like women to me...I just don't get it.However, I can solder and build a crossover but do not have the skills to design from scratch which is ok with me.
    For 10 years i ran sound at my church(been out of it for 10 years or so) and so I have a pretty developed ear for the most part.It's funny tho...I can be in an auditorium and I can point to all the reflections I hear to this day.Let alone critique the mix...old habits never die :0
    Back in '89 I attended a syn-aud-con seminar put on by Don Davis and his wife on sound system engineering.I did this to be a better soundman but it was way over my head! But I learned some cool stuff.One neat thing Don did was set up some loudspeakers outdoors to demonstrate the effects of combfilters.Had us walk back and forth and just listen.I remember I found a spot where if I teetered my head 5" I could hear the snare drum drop in and out.All the instruments were affected in various spots.The other demo he did was indoors playing pink noise and having us walk around using a 4x4 sheet of sonex moving it all around our heads to be able to isolate reflections.No wonder reflections play a roll in sound degradation after you try that.
    I got to see the TEF analyzer in action a few times.I would love to have one but oh well.
    Audio has been in my blood since I was 8 years old (47 now) with my zenith allegro stereo.
    Just a little about me. Thanks for your "ear"
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Welcome to HTGuide! That looks like a nice speaker, or at least the drivers are very good. That Audaphon ribbon looks like the Fountek NeoPro5i sold here in the USA.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

The Seas and Visaton drivers are the same here.

Here's a corrected link for the project. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Here's something to help...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• RYDMOTO
        • Feb 2008

Thank you for the nice reception.
        It will be a while until I start this project.All the better if i can buy the speakers here and save money.I will have to e-mail them to see if I can buy the cross-over parts only with the lay out plans etc.
        I am wondering if the MTM can be used as a center channel also if i install the tweeter 90 degrees for dispersion and not have any ill effects.If all goes well I might even use them for rear fills also.I am still in the fact gathering stage and I thank you for your help.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

The speaker design should be in the magazine article if you can buy a back issue or get someone to send you the article (several people here subscribe). You should be able to buy all the components from US suppliers. The magazine article will be in German but crossover schematics, etc. are pretty universal. Maybe this issue, not sure (definitely the boxes on the cover but no drivers and my German isn't very good).

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

I like the design, (read the article). The W18 is crossed a bit high for my liking.

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

TacoD: At what frequency are the W18s crossed?

Nevermind, found it... :B

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"