X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackHatBrigade
    • Feb 2008

First time setup, need suggestions

I'm trying to pick out a DIY setup for my parents setup. It's a HT setup and I've got everything but the audio figured out. I've always been a DIY guy and the speaker designs I've seen here have just grabbed me the right way. I've been poking around trying to figure out how best to go at this, so I figured I'd post the question to you guys.

First of all, money is a factor. With that being said this isn't my wallet, so I'm willing to play kiss up to try and upgrade where possible. I'm sort of helping my parents compete with a friend of theirs up the road who has a HT setup that, to be honest, he spent way too much money for. (Seriously, his surround sound speakers were professionally installed in the ceiling facing straight down. He also paid $5000 for a 1080p projector that runs at 400ANSI Lum. 8O ) Anyway, I've got a current budget of about $1500-$2000.

Second, the receiver needs to have s/pdif in. This is actually a Linux MCE setup, so the source will only support Dolby Digital (no DTS for me). I would like to do a 7.1 setup. I'd also like to at least have dipole on the side surrounds, if not the back.

I was looking at the mission accomplished setups and got a little frightened I might try to start building a 4ohm speaker. I'm thinking this would be a problem considering most of the 4ohm friendly receivers are out of my price range. I kinda liked the Onkyo 605 due to the price point and tons of nifty features, but I'm not experienced with the home audio brand names so I'm flexible.

The room is a little odd, it's in the shape of an L. Just imagine you're at the top of the L looking at the bottom and you got the layout. I'd say it's about 20' x 12' and then another 12' x 12'. The listening area is the 20x12 and the 12x12 is off to the right. (Hope that was clear).

Am I on a hopeless quest or can it be done?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The Onkyo SR705 is rock solid on 4ohm speakers. Check out shoponkyo.com (rather, keep an eye on it) for a refurb unit for less than the 605 goes for.

Dipole surrounds, not many DIY designs for anything like that.

Designs - where to start! I dunno. My MTM's (and matching MT) probably start the budget category, and stuff works up from there.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BlackHatBrigade
      • Feb 2008

Now that does sound intriguing... I think I like the idea of a SR705... That would make me feel comfortable enough to pick my own setup

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I just found out on another forum that the Onkyo 705 has the full Audyssey EQ while the 605 has a crippled version that doesn't touch the sub so the 705 looks like a better buy if you want to EQ your sub without buying an external box.

Comment

• BlackHatBrigade
          • Feb 2008

Wait, I just looked at the SR705 owner's manual. It says the same thing as the 605 as far as anything under 6ohm is concerned. Are you sucessfully using the 705 on 4ohm speakers?

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Any amp will work with 4 ohm speakers until you drive the levels too high which is relative to the amp and your listening habits. The 805 is the first model in the latest Onkyo line rated 4 ohms stable, and it has THX Ultra2 certification so you can be sure it will handle 4 ohms at high levels. It is also probably the cheapest, current technology AVR that is 4 ohm stable.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• BlackHatBrigade
              • Feb 2008

A lot of receivers (Onkyo 605 and 705 included) say in the owner's manual that they have built in protection that will prevent damage when running lower impedance too loud. Is this something like a breaker that resets? Or is it a fuse that once broken, needs to be replaced?

I doubt the setup I'm looking at would be driven extremely loud. And while for my own setup I definitely think the 805 would be my choice, for what I'm looking at now the 605 or 705 might be a better choice.

Comment

• Dan B
                • Feb 2005

I've run several well designed DIY 4ohm speakers on inexpensive receivers with out a problem.
                Dan B

My Projects

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"