X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NyxOne
    • Jan 2008

HiVi D6.8 : Tweeter to match with

Hi everyone,

i recently bought 4 HiVi d6.8 which i plan to use in an MTM or TMM configuration. I'm not sure yet although I leaning toward an TMM 2.5 so that i won't have to add crossover component for BSC. Maybe i'll try both before building my final design. In any case, i'm looking for a tweeter that will make a good mate for my brand new woofers.

My first choice is the Seas 27TDFC mainly because i've a pair of 27TBCG and i like them and also because their able play low ... as long as the crossover slope is steep enough (eg 4th order).

I'm looking for a standard (no ribbon) non-metal dome tweeter that can be crossed over low with low distortion.

Any suggestion will be welcome for both the box configuration (TMM vs WTW) and the tweeter selection.

Note : Please, don't submit too expensive tweeter. The same goes for dayton & tangband product since i live in Canada and shipping (and other fees) are really expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Charles D.
    -----------
    Note : Sorry if my english is sometime crappy and unclear! I'm doing my best to get better.

BTW, I really enjoy this board! It seem to me that the community is really alive and healthy around here.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Your first choice sounds good to me!

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Jon Marsh and Jed have had recent designs using the Vifa D26NC55. It runs $29 here in the States.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Vifa DX25
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• NyxOne
          • Jan 2008

---k--- : D26NC55 ? Really ? This tweeter has an FS of 1500. That's pretty high for a two way ? Isn't this tweeter better suited for a 3 way design or maybe a HT bookshelf ?

If my calculation are right. A FS of 1500 would give a minimum crossover of at least 3000 hz and the HiVi D6.8 has his main breakup around 3600 - 3800 hz. That's a thin margin ... Please don't hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong!!

The reason i was looking for a tweeter with low FS is to stay as far away from this breakup as possible. Maybe it's not necessary but since there is not much information about this driver i prefer to be cautious. If you know something about it, let me know!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Charles D.

Comment

• NyxOne
            • Jan 2008

augerpro : DX25. Could you argue a bit about it ? I see you have tested it! I'd like to know what would make you choose it over Seas 27TDFC ?

BTW : I've forget to mention it, my second choice is the Seas 29TFFW which is a good looking tweeter although it have highish FS (950). Quoting Zaph about this tweeter : "Best crossed over LR4 1.5kHz or above".

I was looking for 4th order cross around 1800 - 2200hz max so it would fit the bill.

Thanks for your reply!
            ------------
            Charles D.
            Last edited by NyxOne; 18 February 2008, 21:31 Monday. Reason: Wrong tweeter (DX25 vs XT25)

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

Didn't Jon Marsh use the XT25 tweeter with the HiVi D6.8 in the Elaine Marie design?

Comment

• NyxOne
                • Jan 2008

Brian Bunge : Yes, i think i saw that too! Although it don't seem to be a good candidate for low crossover point at least when considering Zaph website. Here the quote :"It may have a 500 Hz Fs, but don't think about crossing it below 2kHz LR4 or 2.5kHz LR2."

I must admit that i really love the look of this tweeter! I never seen anything like it before! The price is OK for me. I just need to know if 2 kHz is low enough for the D6.8. The fact that "Jon" used it give me confidence that it could be a good match for my new project.

Thanks for your input!
                -----------
                Charles D.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

The DX25 can be crossed low and has very good distortion measurements. I'm just now using it in a design, so no listening impressions yet. And the price is great.

The Seas 29TFFW would be a nice choice too. What are you crossing at? If it's at 2k there are a lot of tweeters that would work fine. the Peerless 810921 can be crossed at 1750 Hz and is my current fav. I haven't worked with the Hivi woofer so I don't what it requires. Anyone remember the link Jon Marsh did some testing of that woofer in?
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• NyxOne
                    • Jan 2008

augerpro : Thanks for the quick reply.

As for the crossing. It depends if i go for an MTM over a TMM design. MTM require low crossover point to avoid lobbing problem. That's the main reason i want a tweeter that can go low. Also, i read that the lower the tweeter goes, the better the dispersion.

Like I said, I'm looking for something around 1750-2200 hz max.

As for some measurement, i only found this post about "Jon" D6.8 XT25 combo"

Hi, Has anyone seen a design with a d6.8 floating around the web I'm looking for a crossover schematic using this driver in a two way. Somthing forrestish. Been searching but have come up empty. Thanks, Justin

Again, thanks for the reply!

Charles D.
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 18:45 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

You may be right, I'm not the best person to ask. However, Jed uses it with his LineUp D4 that I just built and they sound great. His crossover point might be up higher than you're thinking though.
                      - Ryan

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

The W4 in the Lineups and the RS52 in Jon's 3-way can cross a lot higher than the D6.8 in a 2-way. I think Charles is right that he needs a tweeter that can cross low for a 2-way with the D6.8.

Comment

• NyxOne
                          • Jan 2008

Hi,

A few posts later... Here are my choice in order :

1. Seas 27TDFC Because Zaph used it with a low low crossover point.
                          1. Peerless 810921 : I own a few Peerless driver and i know they make good product. It can also be crossover low.
                          2. Seas 29TFFW - Because in can also be crossed low although it has a higher FS and higher price then the 27TDFC. One point for having a really good look!
                          3. DX25 for it's capability to be crossed over low especially for a tweeter with such a low price (when compared with the other tweeter in this list).
                          4. XT25 : Crossover point no low enough for the price.
                          5. D26NC55 : More meant for a 3 way or small 2 way.

BTW : Here is the link where you can see the Hivi d6.8 measurement made by "Jon Marsh" : https://www.htguide.com/forum/showpo...44&postcount=3

I'll consider the first 4 options seriously and let you who won! .

Thanks.
                          -----------
                          Charles D.
                          Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 18:46 Sunday. Reason: Update URL

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Sorry for sending you on a bit of a diversion. But, I learned something. I'll have to take a good look at those frequency response graphs.
                            - Ryan

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I would use the Peerless or the XT25 simply because I like to use different things then everyone else. Also the XT25 has a great and unique look to it :B. To be honest I'm sure almost any of those minus the D26 would work great with your D6.8's. There's also the RS28A that can be crossed quite low.. but its pretty darn common and I like my D26 better then the RS28 personally. Of course the D26 is really meant for 3ways.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

I would look at the Peerless HDS tweeter or the RS28A. I'd probably go with the Peerless bc of all the good stuff I've been reading about it and it also looks really well built. The RS28A is excellent with a low crossover and never ever get harsh but I also think it lacks a little bit of "air" to its presentation.

Peerless HDS
                                Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Dayton RS28A

I would also look at the new Seas with waveguide
                                Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• dawaro
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NyxOne
                                  augerpro : Thanks for the quick reply.

As for the crossing. It depends if i go for an MTM over a TMM design. MTM require low crossover point to avoid lobbing problem. That's the main reason i want a tweeter that can go low. Also, i read that the lower the tweeter goes, the better the dispersion.

Like I said, I'm looking for something around 1750-2200 hz max.

As for some measurement, i only found this post about "Jon" D6.8 XT25 combo"

Hi, Has anyone seen a design with a d6.8 floating around the web I'm looking for a crossover schematic using this driver in a two way. Somthing forrestish. Been searching but have come up empty. Thanks, Justin

Again, thanks for the reply!

Charles D.

Here is the Elaine Marie thread where Jon used the XT25 and the D6.8. The xover point is 1850hz.
                                  Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 18:47 Sunday. Reason: Update url
                                  I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Jonasz
                                    • Nov 2004

Here is the Elaine Marie thread where Jon used the XT25 and the D6.8. The xover point is 1850hz.
                                    The SS9800 is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the XT25, right?

Comment

• Mudjock
                                      • Sep 2005

While I was finallizing another design, I wound up messing around a little with the HiVi D6.8 and Seas T25CF001 (Millenium's little brother). What I found was the typical 2 kHz LR4 crossover didn't really do too much for me, but that the D6.8 can handle an LR2 crossover at 2.5 kHz pretty easily (and sounds very good doing it). Maybe aided by shallow cone, it really didn't need any significant time aligning (the T25 dome is slightly recessed, too). I will probably be bringing something like this to DIY Iowa this year - still haven't decided on the tweeter. Plan A for this approach would be the new Seas DXT waveguide tweeter.
                                      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• NyxOne
                                        • Jan 2008

Dougie085 and Jonasz : No RS28 in my plan as it's a Dayton driver and i don't want anything that have to be shipped from the US. Shipping and fees are Really too expensive.

---k--- : No problem for the D26 suggestion! Everyone is learning around here, at least i think

Dougie085 : Yeah! I really love the look of the XT25! . I think i'm gonna put it back since i have a complete crossover plan now (Jon Marsh - Elaine Marie).

Jonasz : I'm not sure i like the Peerless HDS. It cost more (at least at Solen) than other Seas products liked the 27TDFC or 29TFFW and i don't see any advantage in using it. Maybe you could point out some feature that make it worth it !?!? BTW, the SS9800 is really too pricey for me!

dawaro : Hey thanks! I'll read that thread as soon as possible. Having a complete crossover design with D6.8 is really rare so i migth try a TM before an MTM or TMM.

Mudjock : The T25CF001 is also too pricey for me. Second order at 2500 hz you say ? That's an interesting thing since that's exactly what Totem use in the Forest! I might try this avenue if the 4th order one doesn't yield good result.

Finally, the new Seas DXT is certainly tempting but i'm no match for exotic design... i mean it kind of scare me! If you pull an interesting desing with this driver and the hivi d6.8, please let us know!

Thanks for everyone reply!

Your help is most welcome!
                                        ----------
                                        Charles D.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                          • Nov 2004

I'm not sure i like the Peerless HDS. It cost more (at least at Solen) than other Seas products liked the 27TDFC or 29TFFW and i don't see any advantage in using it. Maybe you could point out some feature that make it worth it !?!?
                                          Well, it's only like $15 more than the XT25 at Madisound. Joe Rasmussen upgraded the XT25 to the HDS in his Elsinores and consider it a better speaker now.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2002

I think i'm gonna put it back since i have a complete crossover plan now (Jon Marsh - Elaine Marie).
                                            The crossover in that thread is for the Mk2 which uses a Peerless woofer and a Seas tweeter. I think Jon said he lost the files for the HiVi-Vifa version he built for his daughter.

Comment

• NyxOne
                                              • Jan 2008

Jonasz : That's about the same with Solen (16$). I'll read that article before taking my final decision.

Dennis H : That's what i read and it's a shame that he lost the files...

My first choice is still the : 27TDFC.
                                              Second choice : Peerless HDS since it's seem to be highly regarded tweeter.

The rest has been dump overboard!

I'll try to gather as much information as possible before selecting the right tweeter.

----------
                                              Charles D.
                                              Last edited by NyxOne; 20 February 2008, 16:25 Wednesday. Reason: Corrected some typo.

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
                                                • Jun 2008

Diggin up an old thread....................

Does anyone know if the crossover schematic for the Elaine Marie is floatin around out there somewhere? I'd like to build these eventually.
                                                Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
                                                Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

I can dig it up sometime this weekend- certainly by Monday- have a busy weekend, though, including a daughter's birthday. So I may not be able to post it until on Monday. I'll have to go through hard drive backups of some old computers. :W We modified it, too, to use the RS28a, as it handles the low stuff better.
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
                                                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                    I can dig it up sometime this weekend- certainly by Monday- have a busy weekend, though, including a daughter's birthday. So I may not be able to post it until on Monday. I'll have to go through hard drive backups of some old computers. :W We modified it, too, to use the RS28a, as it handles the low stuff better.
                                                    Please, take your time. No rush.

If you still have it, I was interested in the XT25 version.

Thanks Jon. :T
                                                    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
                                                    Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

got Part way through the archives last night, still looking. Electrically, the crossovers are essentially identical, because of the similarity in tweeter impedance and basic response- it's just that the RS28a version sounds better in my opinion, because of lower distortion. I'll let you know this week I hope!
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• NyxOne
                                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay
                                                        Please, take your time. No rush.

If you still have it, I was interested in the XT25 version.

Thanks Jon. :T
                                                        I too would be interested! My wife don't really like the MTM Towers ... so I guess I could make 4 Elaine Marie instead!

BTW, for the completness of this thread i choosed the good old 27TBFCG mainly because I had it in hand and it has enought low end for my needs!

Chuck

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Will be getting to this soon, guys- but with the weekend and good weather I'm making more sawdust for now...

Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 18:48 Sunday. Reason: Update image url
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
                                                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                            Will be getting to this soon, guys- but with the weekend and good weather I'm making more sawdust for now...
                                                            Thanks Jon. Again, no rush.

The Merlots

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"