X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_free69
    • Dec 2007

Slimming down...

A large LCD HDTV is on the near horizon (46" ; and if i go for XBR4 it's even wider with the glass bezel. This will push my current speakers in front of a window, so maybe its time to slim them down.

Currently ,the main boxes are roughly 24 x 12 x 12"; within which resides an 8 " woofer. On top is essentially a panel with a 2" dome mid and ribbon tweeter I will keep for now. There is also a single, powered 12" subwoofer.

I'm thinking of replacing the woofer boxes with something more slender (~6-7" W) and less deep; up to a height of 36", and place directly adjacent to the HD. Driver technology is much improved since i built these 12 years ago ,and with the Subwoofer I am not worried about deep bass if going from an 8" to a 5/6" woofer

I would keep the dome/tweeter for now; probably move them into a more countored enclosure

Any suggestions using a 5" or 6" woofer in this application?

If I end up starting over from scratch pasive versions of this would be very, very cool. they are high end studio / mastering monitors check them out at $7 k /pr! I lke the side-mounted sub-woofers

BAREFOOT
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why is that link in your post?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I think that active speaker you linked would be tough to do as an all passive DIY. With 2x 10" in such a small enclosure, they are almost certainly using active EQ and lots of power to get it down to the published F3 of 33 Hz.

Comment

• jeff_free69
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Why is that link in your post?
        From the moderators (did i misunderstand you?) -
        "Since we're not psychic, when asking a question about a specific product, (software/hardware/whatever) as a courtesy, please, please, please, post a link to the item you're asking about."

I was looking to see if anyone had implemented a similar DIY design of this highly regarded product.

----------------

Originally posted by Dennis H
        I think that active speaker you linked would be tough to do as an all passive DIY. With 2x 10" in such a small enclosure, they are almost certainly using active EQ and lots of power to get it down to the published F3 of 33 Hz.
        Yes I'm sure there's many tricks that can be employed since its active. I wouldn't need to make it that small; i was thinking more of a narrow tower , with the sub (8's?) mounted on the bottom , facing sideways. no reason the sub couldn't be a separate cab , with a matching contour and be wider/deeper at the foot.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

What are your resources to do measurements, etc. for custom work? Or are you perhaps located near someone that has the facilities to do this?

My MTM's are 7.5" wide, could be squeezed in a 7" cabinet and mounted on an actively crossed side-firing woofer. That's one option that uses existing work to achieve your goals. I could probably work up a 2.5 way WWMTM-ish variant as well.

Also check out some of Jed's latest work, the Lineup series might be a superb fit for your desires.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

The Maxx's are about 6 3/4" wide. I'm pretty fond of them :B

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"