X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thiel85
    • Feb 2008

A new guys questions concering diy sub

I've been looking around the net looking for some answers for some diy sub building. First off i was wondering if http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-468
    is a good driver to use. I modeled its in WinIsd alpha tuned to 17hz and a volume of 9.99 cf. My next question is about cone excursion. Is that when the driver has reached full movement and is my driver choice going to be able to handle the tunning that I've choose for the time being?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why don't you post (attach) some screen shots of your sim? That will make it easier to answer your questions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Denton
      • Nov 2000

EBP suggests that driver may be more suited to sealed box use.

Comment

• mpotoka
        • Sep 2007

Looks like about 240 watts you will hit xmax... total spl of about 110.5 dB and F3 of about 16.25hz

Put 2 of the HO drivers in the same size box, tune it to 21 hz, send it 800 watts, and you are cruising along around 118 dB....

Comment

• servicetech
          • Sep 2007

You must be a single man or have a dedicated HT room. A 10 cu ft box is HUGE.

Comment

• Thiel85
            • Feb 2008

Whats the best way to post pictures of the sim? I am new to forum posting.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Make sure they are less than 100k and then just attach them to the post with the button at the bottom of the advance replay page.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Gir
                • Dec 2006

And if you're unsure how to take a screen shot, hit the "Print Screen" button, then open up MS Paint, ctrl+v (paste), crop it down and save it has a jpeg. You might need to lower the quality of it to reach the 100k size limit.

The Daytons are nice, but you may be able to get more bang for your buck with another choice. You might be interested in the TC subs or the Mach 5 subs. I have one of Mach 5 IXL-18.4 drivers in a 12 cuft box tuned to 16-17Hz (ish). It sounds very nice and is pretty clean and can also hit ridiculous lows. Just trying to give you more options.
                -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

TC Sounds is currently out of business, so I'd look elsewhere. PE will be selling some of their subs on closeout soon (under whatever business name they changed to), or so I'm told.

Comment

• Thiel85
                    • Feb 2008

[IMG][/IMG]

If the movement is to high for the Dayton I was also looking at the Tempest-X 15. And does anyone know the RMS value My amp is 300W's at 4Ohms would that be too much?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

IMO for the minor price difference the Tempest-X is the better choice.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Thiel85
                        • Feb 2008

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. When I finish everything up I will post a follow up with pictures.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"