WT2, WT3, MCM's Woofer Tester, or some other?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint
    • Feb 2008

WT2, WT3, MCM's Woofer Tester, or some other?

Hi all, I came across this forum while searching for woofer testers, and more info on the one MCM sells (Tenma 72-850). I found out from here about the Dayton WT3 that PE sells for about $68 less than the Tenma, and about the WT2 at woofertester.com .

So the question now is, which of these gives the most accurate T/S parameters for any kind of driver?

Will the Dayton WT3 give all T/S parameters like the Q, Fs, etc? I saw someone mention here that it does not.

Is the 72-850 and the WT2 at woofertester.com the same unit?

Thanks.
  • Clint
    • Feb 2008

So far 20 views and no replies. ? I guess maybe I should say that I did try and search here for WT3 and of the threads that were short enough to read, I did not find answers to my questions.

Comment

• NyxOne
      • Jan 2008

Hope it can help you with you.

Hi everyone, i'd like to have your advice concerning woofer T/S measurement. I currently have set my mind on two possible options. 1. Dayton Woofer tester 3 (WT3). 2. Wallin jig. I'm having problem setting my mind on one solution because both seem to have their set of problems. 1. Dayton Woofer Tester 3 : -
      Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:18 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Clint
        • Feb 2008

Hello, thanks, I saw that when I first came here, not a whole lot of info there. I don't understand this:

The other side... the Woofer Tester is a tiny, self contained package. You plug it into any computer with USB, load the software, and you're ready. It only measures impedance, though, no frequency response. SW will do frequency response, you will have to get some kind of decent microphone and preamp to do that. The mic and preamp will be usable with any other software that measures FR, so it's an investment in the future... nothing particular to SW there.

What I put in bold above: is he saying you have to get a mic and pre-amp with SW, or with the WT3? That's hard to make out since there is no "but" in there which would indicate more he's talking about SW.

Another post:
        Woofer Tester (new version two) is not accurate much beyond 2khz, but still excellent for T/S parameters and analysis for lower crossover frequencies. Some older Woofer Testers (version one) may be available.

If the WTx units don't measure frequency, how can that statement be made that (it or they) are not accurate to beyond 2k? The WT1 measures frequency and the WT3 does not? :duh:

I found a (ha-ha) user's guide for the WT3 here, it's a joke.

Still not clear on whether or not it can also measure mids and tweeters.

Are there any devices like the SW and jig that are already made? I just don't have the time to build one.

Thanks again for replying. (Strange I never got an email that you replied).

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

The WT can NOT measure frequency response. None of the versions can. It measures impedance and T/S parameters.

The comment about the WT2 not being accurate above 2khz is in reference to impedance measurements.

For measuring T/S parameters, the WT is the easiest you're going to get. To measure frequency response, SW is the way to go, and you don't need a jig for that, just the right cables. (BTW learning to use SW and getting good measurements will likely take you 100x as long to accomplish as building the jig.)
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonP
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Clint
            Hello, thanks, I saw that when I first came here, not a whole lot of info there. I don't understand this:

The other side... the Woofer Tester is a tiny, self contained package. You plug it into any computer with USB, load the software, and you're ready. It only measures impedance, though, no frequency response. SW will do frequency response, you will have to get some kind of decent microphone and preamp to do that. The mic and preamp will be usable with any other software that measures FR, so it's an investment in the future... nothing particular to SW there.

What I put in bold above: is he saying you have to get a mic and pre-amp with SW, or with the WT3? That's hard to make out since there is no "but" in there which would indicate more he's talking about SW.

<snip>

Are there any devices like the SW and jig that are already made? I just don't have the time to build one.

Thanks again for replying. (Strange I never got an email that you replied).
            Sorry if that wasn't clear... Looks like K straightened you out.

For Speaker Workshop info, find Claudio Negro's site, he's got tutorials on SW in general, Jay Butterman's invaluable SW guide, and how to make simple test cables. They are much easier to make than the Wallin Jig, only a few parts total. Simple and quick.

I think there are some commerical packages out there, doesn't Praxsis have a hardware module in the pro version? Of course, the price of that package is $1K or more, if I remember right...

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Having bought it, IMO for the few things it does WT3 isn't worth the investment. It's quick and convenient but way to limited in functionality. And yes it will measure mids and tweeters

For the different in cost I think WT2 or the MCM speaker tester is a better investment if you need a plug-n-play testing setup for raw drivers.

I can't imagine that WT2 hasn't been 'fixed' given the time span since the Ray Alden '201 book' was written...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Clint
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Having bought it, IMO for the few things it does WT3 isn't worth the investment. It's quick and convenient but way to limited in functionality.
                Can you please explain exactly why?

And yes it will measure mids and tweeters
                Thanks.

For the different in cost I think WT2 or the MCM speaker tester is a better investment if you need a plug-n-play testing setup for raw drivers.
                I was under the impression the WT3 tested raw drivers and was plug 'n play. From what I've read about it, just plug it into the USB port, load the software and that's it. Then from then on it will recognize immediately after plugging it in to the USB port.

What does the MCM Tenma unit do that the WT3 won't do?
                Thanks.

Comment

• Clint
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                  The comment about the WT2 not being accurate above 2khz is in reference to impedance measurements.
                  If that is the case then how can it measure mids and tweeters?

For measuring T/S parameters, the WT is the easiest you're going to get. To measure frequency response, SW is the way to go, and you don't need a jig for that, just the right cables.
                  So what is the purpose of the jig? Do you need that for the T/S parameters? If so then I guess one could use the WT3 for T/S and the SW for frequency response. ? I thought a mic was needed with SW to test frequency response.
                  Thanks.

Comment

• Clint
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JonP
                    For Speaker Workshop info, find Claudio Negro's site, he's got tutorials on SW in general, Jay Butterman's invaluable SW guide, and how to make simple test cables. They are much easier to make than the Wallin Jig, only a few parts total. Simple and quick.
                    Ok I found this page: https://web.archive.org/web/20091212...es/cables.html
                    Is a special sound card needed to test FR with SW or can a mobo's integrated audio do it? (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe w/ADI AD1985 6-channel 5.1, see attachment please).
                    Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Audio.gif Views:	474 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	849950
                    Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:14 Tuesday. Reason: Update url and image location

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Having bought it, IMO for the few things it does WT3 isn't worth the investment. It's quick and convenient but way to limited in functionality. And yes it will measure mids and tweeters

I can't imagine that WT2 hasn't been 'fixed' given the time span since the Ray Alden '201 book' was written...
                      I'd be interesting in hearing what the WT3 is lacking as well. I've been using it to test some drivers and so far haven't come across anything missing other than frequency and phase which it isn't meant for anyway. Not to mention it makes for a pretty accurate resistor and inductor tester as well.
                      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

I think the point Thomas is making is measuring the T/S parameters is small potatoes when it comes to designing a speaker. You are going to need software (and hardware) to measure the frequency response and, if you have that, you already have everything you need to measure the impedance curve and T/S.

Comment

• dlneubec
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                          I think the point Thomas is making is measuring the T/S parameters is small potatoes when it comes to designing a speaker. You are going to need software (and hardware) to measure the frequency response and, if you have that, you already have everything you need to measure the impedance curve and T/S.
                          Hi Dennis,

I agree, in general, but in comparison to doing it in SoundEasy, WT3 is much easier and faster. Foir example, I can compare a half dozen drivers of the same type in just minutes and match them to one another for better driver matches from speaker to speaker, hence better imaging, etc. It's a pretty hefty price for that convenience, no doubt, but a nice preliminary design tool, before you set up to take actual FR measurements, etc. It is also better to do box modelling with good numbers than using the manufacturers published data, which is often questionable. For that you need measured TS data.

That said, it is a limited tool and in no way replaces the need or benefits of full measurement capability.
                          Dan N.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Dennis covered most if it..... :T

But if someone wants a plug-n-play tester, IMO pay the extra for either the MCM unit or get WT2. Looking at the websites for the respective products will show what they can do compared to WT3.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NyxOne
                              • Jan 2008

I agree with ThomasW. I think anyone who want a PNP tester should go with the WT2. WT3's positive points : Easy to use, compact and portable but that's all ...

I'll probably sell mine when I'm done building my test jig.

Let us know if you try WT2.
                              -----------
                              Charles D.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only issue with the WT2 is that it requires a serial port, while the WT3 is USB. Last couple of computers I've owned don't have serial ports.

Anyway, beating a dead horse here. I think for the people that would enjoy using a WT, the differences probably aren't an issue.
                                - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

WT2 is USB

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Really? huh. my mistake.
                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Clint
                                      • Feb 2008

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the WT1 or WT2/MCM Tenma have that the WT3 does not.

Also about the other things I asked about in my posts 8, 9 and 10 above.
                                      Hi all, I came across this forum while searching for woofer testers, and more info on the one MCM sells (Tenma 72-850). I found out from here about the Dayton WT3 that PE sells for about $68 less than the Tenma, and about the WT2 at woofertester.com . So the question now is, which of these gives the most accurate T/S

Hi all, I came across this forum while searching for woofer testers, and more info on the one MCM sells (Tenma 72-850). I found out from here about the Dayton WT3 that PE sells for about $68 less than the Tenma, and about the WT2 at woofertester.com . So the question now is, which of these gives the most accurate T/S

Thanks guys.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:15 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• littlesaint
                                        • Jul 2007

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what the WT1 or WT2/MCM Tenma have that the WT3 does not.

Also about the other things I asked about in my posts 8, 9 and 10 above.

Thanks guys.
                                        ​

Just go to their respective websites and read about them. It's obvious the WT2 and MCM products have better software. I do wonder though if the WT3 software can be improved to support these other functions. Probably a question for the PE forums. For me I already have software that can do the other functions with a little extra work, so I'm content with the WT3.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:17 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
                                        Santino

Comment

• Clint
                                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                          Just go to their respective websites and read about them.
                                          I've done that and they don't give enough info to make any comparisions. Since others on this thread have used them, I would think they could tell me the differences....that's what I'm waiting on. Thomas, Ryan, Charles, Dennis...?

It's obvious the WT2 and MCM products have better software.
                                          It's not obvious to me since I'm not familiar with any of them.

For me I already have software that can do the other functions with a little extra work, so I'm content with the WT3.
                                          So what software do you have that can do the other functions?

Comment

• Clint
                                            • Feb 2008

^^^^

Comment

• ---k---
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2005

Yeah, you're kind of demanding. That's a turn off.
                                              - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

I would think they could tell me the differences....that's what I'm waiting on. Thomas, Ryan, Charles, Dennis...?
                                                It's going to be a long wait because none of the people you listed or anyone else posting in this thread has WT2 or the MCM tester...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Clint
                                                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                  Yeah, you're kind of demanding. That's a turn off.
                                                  I've been kind and polite to you, that is totally uncalled for.

A "turn off" is knowing people have the answers, but refuse to give it.

Kind of demanding??? I wait TWO DAYS and still no replies. I've waited more than A WEEK for replies to several other questions I've asked about clarifying some things mentioned in your (and other's) posts (see my post #19 from EIGHT days ago). Still no replies. So how many days or weeks do you think I should have to wait for a reply, or before I give a ^^^? I was under the impression that this was forum for those to ASK QUESTIONS and get help. Evidently I was mistaken.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                    • Jul 2007

I've been kind and polite to you, that is totally uncalled for.

A "turn off" is knowing people have the answers, but refuse to give it.

Kind of demanding??? I wait TWO DAYS and still no replies. I've waited more than A WEEK for replies to several other questions I've asked about clarifying some things mentioned in your (and other's) posts (see my post #19 from EIGHT days ago). Still no replies. So how many days or weeks do you think I should have to wait for a reply, or before I give a ^^^? I was under the impression that this was forum for those to ASK QUESTIONS and get help. Evidently I was mistaken.
                                                    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What makes you think there are answers to be had?

Most on this forum do not own any of these tools. Those that do probably only have one of them so they can hardly offer you any comparisons.

You do seem to have somewhat of an attitude for someone who has only contributed 10 posts most of which are in this thread.
                                                    Santino

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"