Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

First DIY Subwoofer

Well I just ordered the stuff for my first DIY attempt(s). They include:
    1) Curt's TriTrix MTMs
    2) Behringer CX2310 Super-X Pro Crossover
    3) Dayton SD215-88 8" Shielded DVC Sub & Dayton SA70 70W Sub Amp

My questions revolves around number 3. I am trying to mock up a box for my subwoofer and am looking for input as I have never attempted anything like this before:

As you can see, right now I've modeled it at 18hz, 1.7cf, rectangular port (1"x6"x26.22", mach .12). I was planning on having the driver somewhere on the front of the woofer with the port either firing through the top or bottom. What are your thoughts on this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Eric J
    • Jan 2008

I can't offer too much advice on the subject, other than the fact that I am in the process of building the same sub. I'm going with a basic sealed box of around .510 cu ft. I'm using the PE recommended enclosure for the driver.

The driver has a fs of 28 hz. I'm not sure about tuning so low. Another PE recommended enclosure has a Fb of 25.66 with an F3 of 33.14 hz.

I passed on the vented enclosure due to lack of experience. I'll be anxious to see your progress.

Good Luck!

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

Well thank you for your reply. You will no doubt finish your project before I will as I will be away most of the time until April anyway.
      I was actually trying to do a 'LLT' design on this since the theory on them has made me interested.
      I suppose if nobody gives me the go-ahead on this design I will just use one of the parts express recommended enclosures...
      Let me know how yours turns out, too.

Kyle
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

LLT is a made up name for an EBS design. And an EBS design is inappropriate for a driver with 6mm of Xmax and a Fs of 28Hz. These T/S parameters tell us the driver is really a woofer not a subwoofer. Your next clue is the fact that the sim rolls off like a sealed box not a ported one.

I recommend you return both the driver and the amp, then save up until you have enough to buy a driver and amp appropriate for use in a sub...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• krips
          • Sep 2007

Interesting. Well...this disheartens me, but 'tis good to find out now. Unfortunately I live in Canada and shipping the products back would cost more than they are worth, and I doubt they would be worth selling as I live in a small town. I wonder why so many people ('professionals') gave it rave reviews ?
          Is there any way these products can be made use of? I do intend to buy a shiva-x and a face amp from Kevin eventually, but for now I was hoping this would add to my 2" 'full range' satellites and perhaps teach me a few things.
          Thanks very much for your post, Thomas.
          Sharp LC-42D64U
          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The way you listed items in your first post it seemed this was a sub to use with the TriTrix, not something to be used with 2" satellites.

Put it in a box and tune it to 25Hz or so...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• whatabirdie
              • May 2007

This would make a very nice sub for your satellites...

Comment

• krips
                • Sep 2007

It will eventually, I suppose, Thomas. Since the subwoofer is much easier (right?), it would get done first. I will do as you suggest.
                Birdie, I've already ordered from PE, and I don't want to have to pay more shipping for just a passive radiator. I will see what it would cost me, but I imagine it would be in the neighborhood of $50 or more, and I'm not willing to spend that much more on this 'sub'...
                Sharp LC-42D64U
                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Eric J
                  • Jan 2008

I would just go ahead and work with what you have. If nothing else, it will be some good experience. You can always use the thing in a computer set up down the road.

I am finishing up some of the detail work on my box tonight. I hopefully do the driver and amp cutouts.

I've read good things about the combo on a few other forums and although it is not a "sub"woofer by any means, it should do a reasonable job.

Give it a shot and at the least, keep us informed of the progress.

Comment

• gonar
                    • Feb 2006

I just made two very similar subs (using the eqhs8 though)

sealed, in pretty heavily stuffed .85cf enclosures (12" cubes of 3/4"mdf) they work quite nicely as music subs for small satellite speakers.

they don't go too low (like f3 ~40hz) but for their intended purpose, small sub for bedroom music only system, low to moderate volume they are just the ticket.

Comment

• krips
                      • Sep 2007

Well, I'm almost done with the gluing. I'm wondering though....do I just use regular wood filler to smooth'er out where needed?
                      Sharp LC-42D64U
                      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• peter_m
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by krips
                        ...I live in Canada and shipping the products back would cost more than they are worth...
                        To other fellow Canadians, just in case you are looking for an inexpensive sub. Consider the Peerless SLS 10" 830668 as it has an x-max of 8mm. Nothing earth shattering but to my knowledge it's the closest to a sub if on a tight budget and the shipping fees are low since it's available locally.

Peter

Comment

• servicetech
                          • Sep 2007

Reminds me of the "old days" where people didn't have computers to correctly calculate box volumes and simply tuned to the FS of the speaker. FS was determined by using a generator (Accurate mfg specs were rare 20 years ago) and the box was tuned by cutting the a PVC pipe to the length the speaker had the least movement when driven at FS. Crude by today's standards but it worked.

Anybody else remember calculating box volumes and port length with scientific calculators in the 90's?

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Well, I'm almost done with the gluing. I'm wondering though....do I just use regular wood filler to smooth'er out where needed?
                            Depends on how you intend to finish the box....paint?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• krips
                              • Sep 2007

Yep. Primer and paint.
                              Sharp LC-42D64U
                              TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Bent
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2003

Anybody else remember calculating box volumes and port length with scientific calculators in the 90's?
                                I'm pretty sure I burnt out a sharp pc-1403 doing that.

Comment

• Eric J
                                  • Jan 2008

Hey Krips,

I finished up my project this week. I matched the sub cabinet to the rest of our furniture. Our end tables, coffee table, and entertainment center have all been "antiqued" using off white paint, distressing techniques, and an application of dark walnut stain.

I'm still trying to find the best location for the enclosure. The output is better than expected. I popped in the "ICE AGE" DVD last night. The kids and I were watching it and enjoying the newly discovered low frequencies in the movie. A huge improvement from no LFE at all!

I'll try to get a few pics posted for you.

Did you get your box glued up?

Comment

• krips
                                    • Sep 2007

Yep, it's glued up and I've filled a little bit with wood filler. A little more filler and some sanding and it'll be ready for paint. Hopefully it will be done in 24hrs.
                                    make sure you get those pics posted.
                                    Sharp LC-42D64U
                                    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• krips
                                      • Sep 2007

All done. Definitely was a nice addition to transformers!

Sharp LC-42D64U
                                      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Gir
                                        • Dec 2006

All done. Definitely was a nice addition to transformers!
                                        Hope you didn't scare the cat too much!

What do you think of the sub? Better be careful when playing transformers, it has some serious base. My dad bottomed out his Sony POS like 4 times during the movie, and I've never heard it bottom out before!
                                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• krips
                                          • Sep 2007

The sub's alright....about what I expected. It doesn't compare to my buddy's 12" B&W or his 10" Definitive, but it'll do me until I get around to doing my next project.
                                          I think I'm going to order a jasper jig for next time though...free-handing the hole was pretty difficult.
                                          Anyway, thanks for your help and advise guys.
                                          Sharp LC-42D64U
                                          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• dawg1161
                                            • May 2006

Hey there Krips looks like you did a fine job on your first sub. A Jasper jig will be a very good investment along with a plunge router if you have more projects to do.

So what were the box demensions you used ? was it ported or sealed ? You should post your specs for your project it could help others who are starting out on their first build. :T
                                            Last edited by dawg1161; 16 February 2008, 23:54 Saturday. Reason: my spelling sucks tonight.

Comment

• Gir
                                              • Dec 2006

I think I'm going to order a jasper jig for next time though...free-handing the hole was pretty difficult.
                                              Wise choice. You should see the crazy jigs I cam up with 8O
                                              -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• krips
                                                • Sep 2007

I would be interested in seeing them...probably cheaper than buying them .
                                                Sharp LC-42D64U
                                                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Gir
                                                  • Dec 2006

You can check out my sonosub build here which has my big circle jig hooked up with a jigsaw. My other circle jig for my router is the same thing except without that metal jigsaw attachment; I just took that wood/cardboard thingy (it was from the backing of a really old desk) and screwed it into the base of the router. Works really well if you TEST THE CIRCLE FIRST. There's a very good chance you have the wrong radius, so it takes some tweaking. But it works well once tweaked.

My suggestion is if you have the money buy the jasper jig :T
                                                  -Tyler

Comment

• music4jeff
                                                    • Feb 2008

router jig template

They are and relatively easy to make... just extra particle board, dowel pin (with holes drilled for diff. dieamters) and bolt up to router (use a hole saw to make your cutout for the router bit)... here's an example :T from:

where he creates a sonotube subwoofer enclosure

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"