X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solidcrowd
    • Jan 2008

All Parts Express HT speaker setup.

I'm leaning more towards 2.1 but still thinking about 5.1/7.1. Here are my options. But before number i go on, some guy said not to buy a receiver that doesn't HDMI since everything is going that way. Dumb question now, 2.1 reciever use HDMI right?

Stereo:
    Denon DRA395P
    HARMAN KARDON HK 3385

Surround:
    Harman Kardon HK AVR 147 5.1
    Onkyo TX SR505 7.1

I'm pretty sure these have HDMI when I did some research.

What I have so far are 2 edhqs12's which are each going to be in 4 cuft. sonotubes (didn't decide to what to tune them too). For the bass.

So what should I do for some bookshelf designs. I want to keep it about $100 per cabinet if doing stereo and about $30-$40 if i'm doing surround.
    What do you guys suggest. It's in a 12 X 13 room so I don't want to go expensive since i'm saving up for a car.

I only have enough money for a receiver right now, but in the future I will be getting an xbox360, dvd player, and a new tv.
  • solidcrowd
    • Jan 2008

or Yamaha HTR-5960 used for like $225

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

I second the Yamaha, they're great values. I have an RX-V661 right now. It has one HDMI in and 2 out. The only problem is that it can't do any A/D conversions to put a component signal over the HDMI, and it can't display a menu through the HDMI. It's basically a fancy switch, but very helpful. I got mine for $400.

You might want to look into some of Zaph's designs. My friend and I built the BAMTM with two W8's in each bin and wound up with some really nice floor standers. I think with the bass bins they ran about $220 for the pair, but it could have been more, I don't really remember. Without the bass bins I think it's around $175 for the pair.
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• royceb
        • Jun 2006

The new Onkyos have HDMI 1.3 and can decode the new Hi-Def formats (Dolby True HD, DTS-MA). The HK does not have the 1.3 version of HDMI.

Comment

• solidcrowd
          • Jan 2008

Can that yamaha run 2.1 until I get more speakers? What can I run since I have nothing built yet? O and I don't think I need HDMI if I can get this yamaha cheap.

Comment

• solidcrowd
            • Jan 2008

First part..

I'm going to be setting up a 5.1 and I'm going to make a thread for every step I take because I don't get a lot of responses lol

1.) Marantz SR-7000 or Yamaha HTR-5960 or you have anything better for $250 (used or new)

2.) Now I'm going to be buying some speakers for the front channels since i'm on a budget. I looked on ebay and can't tell the difference between high end stuff and crap. So if someone can send me a link for a pair of speakers under $150 to start me off on my first HT setup. Thanks!

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by solidcrowd
              I'm going to be setting up a 5.1 and I'm going to make a thread for every step I take because I don't get a lot of responses
              Nope sorry it's not going to work that way.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peter_m
                • Sep 2007

Hi There. I' have a pair of these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138
                and I moded them using this: http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=insignia.html
                I'm pretty happy with the result. They are inexpensive and don't require any woodworking.
                Base is definitely there and you don't absolutely need a sub... unless you want to of course.

Another inexpensive option if you want to build from scratch: http://zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html
                It apparently sounds very good and is about as small and discreet as you can get and still expect
                some quality but they do need a sub!

Good luck,
                Peter
                Last edited by peter_m; 27 January 2008, 18:20 Sunday.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by solidcrowd
                  I'm going to be setting up a 5.1 and I'm going to make a thread for every step I take because I don't get a lot of responses lol

1.) Marantz SR-7000 or Yamaha HTR-5960 or you have anything better for $250 (used or new)

2.) Now I'm going to be buying some speakers for the front channels since i'm on a budget. I looked on ebay and can't tell the difference between high end stuff and crap. So if someone can send me a link for a pair of speakers under $150 to start me off on my first HT setup. Thanks!
                  You must understand that this is a very high-end speaker DIY forum. There just isn't much here in the way of speaker in the budget you've given. Entry level of the speakers designed here is Jon's Modula MT or CJD's MTM, both around $250 -$300/pr.

Second as far as DIY speakers go, it doesn't matter which receiver you use. Trying to counter bright speakers with a warm receiver is silly. Buy neutral gear and build neutral speakers. You need to make sure that it can handle the impedance of the speakers you build. But other than that, doesn't matter to this forum.

If you're buy a cheap receiver and speakers off ebay, the Home Theater forum may be a better place for you to ask questions, if you have any.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

With your budget, I'd probably pick up the Insignias at BB ($70/pair) and build Dennis Murphy's modified crossover ($33/pair + shipping.) They've developed kind of a cult following as sounding way better than they should for the price. That said, I've never heard them myself but Dennis M. has a very good ear and he says they don't suck.

Comment

• solidcrowd
                      • Jan 2008

All Parts Express HT speaker setup.

Alright my dad keeps telling me to buy a HT in a box setup but I heard they sound bad and want to show him I can get better for around the same price. Right now I need 1 center channel and 2 fronts and 2 rear surrounds that are already made or are easy kits. My budget for the 2 fronts is $150, center less than $100, 2 rears under $125. I found that parts express has some very good reviews and will probably buy everything from them. I've been leaning towards an all dayton setup because on another forum I read that it is easier to blend or something along those lines. But if this is not true I will go with different companies. Please help me out.

My receiver is either a yamaha HTR-5960 or a sony STR-DG810, Which one I can't decide (sony for $200 or yamaha for $250(?

Comment

• peter_m
                        • Sep 2007

For some reason I don;t like Sony and Yamaha has had a good reputation.

Now for the budget speakers: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...43&postcount=8

I would personally have a centre channel that is exactly the same as the front Left & right. Not sure why people fuss over having it any different then the other fronts... If a character is walking across the screen I would expect the tonality of his voice to be the same while at the left centre or right of the screen... But then again it depends if you need it to be shielded.

Comment

• solidcrowd
                          • Jan 2008

I was thinking these

and/or one of those kits where you put together a pair ($149) for the fronts

Comment

• peter_m
                            • Sep 2007

Oups, I read too fast...

The rears are definitely less critical.

Comment

• solidcrowd
                              • Jan 2008

yea peter I was looking at those today at best buy! I'm coming from the car audio world and insignia does not really have a good rep, are they really worth it. Say I bought 4 of them, what would I use for my center channel. That whole saying "everything has to be the same brand to blend good" is really concerning me. Do you think I will be able to tell the difference?

Comment

• peter_m
                                • Sep 2007

I have a pair of Insignias and I was impressed for the price. On a budget I don't think you can beat it. Specially if you do the mod X-over. For brand specific, who cares as long as they sound the same... But there is no easier way to make sure then to have 3 identical speakers for the 3 fronts... simple logic no?

EDIT: The insignias have been around for a while and have picked up quite a good reputation... for the price. Do some search and you will see the extent of the attention they got. If feel like it, a review I wrote about the before and after: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...051&highlight=

Comment

• solidcrowd
                                  • Jan 2008

Well do you think the insignias without the mod are better than the daytons?

Comment

• peter_m
                                    • Sep 2007

I really can't say for sure if you use a sub... But if you dont use a sub, the Insignias will blow the mini Daytons out of the water.

Comment

• solidcrowd
                                      • Jan 2008

Well inventually I will be creating a substage and designing an enclosure. Not sure what i'm going to run and don't need any help in that area coming from car audio. But i'm a noob when it comes to home audio speakers and crossovers, etc. So how's this setup 2 pairs of those insignia's without mod (for now) for the fronts and rear surrounds and the yamaha receiver. All I need is a center channel speaker (What do you reccomend) and the sub I will figure out when I have more money.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

Solidcrowd, it would help if you kept all your questions in one thread so the moderator doesn't have to keep merging your threads. He doesn't need any more training being a curmudgeon.

PS, I also mentioned the Insignias in your other thread.

Comment

• peter_m
                                          • Sep 2007

LOL, you are going to like this one. Get a 3rd pair of insignias for your centre, This will leave you with a spare in care something happens. If you can wait, look for the Insignias on special.... on x-mas they were at 49$... Also get 1 pair and see if you like the sound. Bestbuy has a return policy so you won't be stuck.

EDIT: Hope things are ok between you and your dad. Last time I tried to prove something to my father, I realized my relationship wit him was anything but healthy... and some parents no mater what you do, you can't impress. Hope you have nothing to prove

Comment

• solidcrowd
                                            • Jan 2008

alright thanks, and yea sorry about the threads. It won't happen again. This is the last thread I am making about this topic.

Back on the subject though, I thought I had to get a dedicated center channel speaker though. (the wider ones) But if I can buy one for the center I will most likely go that route.

My whole family is competative with eachother, but my dad runs 2.1 and has all Carver componants, so I just kinda wanted to keep up with him lol.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2002

Yeah, at the price, get another pair of Insignias for a center if you have room for it. Those goofy sideways centers are only for people who don't have room for a regular speaker in their racks. A sideways center would cost you more and would sound different from the others. You can either use the extra speaker for 6.1 with a rear center (most receivers support that) or keep it for spare parts.

But, like Peter said, get a single pair and see if you like the sound. If you do, do the crossover mod and see if you like it better. If you don't, you can always use them for surrounds.

If your dad is into Carver gear, he's spent a ton of money on it. I'll bet, whether or not he will admit it to you, he'll be pretty impressed with what you can do for a few hundred bucks if you spend the money wisely.

Comment

• peter_m
                                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                If your dad is into Carver gear, he's spent a ton of money on it. I'll bet, whether or not he will admit it to you, he'll be pretty impressed with what you can do for a few hundred bucks if you spend the money wisely.
                                                ROFLOL,
                                                If he ever admits your system sounds as good as his, he will be basically admitting he wasted allot of money. That is a hard thing to admit...

For the centre, don't sweat it. If you don't need a shielded speaker and have the room for the Insignia, go with the Insignia and don't look back! Since the Insignia is a Co-axial, you can even lay it sideways with no ill effect. This way it won't stand out visually as much. The centrer channels that you will find on the market usually have two mid-woofers side by side. That configuration will have a lobing effect where the sound will not radiate in an even sphere or evenly in all direction. Instead it will radiate in more of a doughnut shape oriented vertically. So the centre channel will sound right for people sitting just in front of it. As soon as you sit to the side by as little as 20 degrees, it will sound different. So back to my original advice, just use all the same speaker for all 3 of the fronts!

Your dad will be at least blown away by how much base you will get even without a sub. If you set the speakers backed up against a wall, it will emphasizes the base even more. You can restore some balance by plugging the port with a rolled up black sock.

Good luck,
                                                Peter

EDIT: If your amp has a built in equalizer, try to boost by about 3 or 4 db around 1.5khz (between 1khz and 2khz). It will make male voices less recessed which is part of what the x-over mod fixes. You can also use the EQ instead of the socks to reduce the base if you place speakers against a wall. Trial and error with a EQ costs nothing, so have fun!

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"