X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • castlesteve
    • Dec 2005

Tangband W5-704D

Does anyone know of any projects using this Tangband W5-704D? P.E. has them for sale today at only $15 so i figured they would make a nice project. I have a pair of Vifa D26 tweets, would they work as an mtm or tmm?
    Steve.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by castlesteve
    Does anyone know of any projects using this Tangband W5-704D? P.E. has them for sale today at only $15 so i figured they would make a nice project. I have a pair of Vifa D26 tweets, would they work as an mtm or tmm?
    Steve.
    That's a good deal.

Here's a link to some developments with that woofer.

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

Aethers Ver3 coming soon to a board near you. Hybrid dipole using Seas 27TDFC, Tang Band W5-704D, and Dayton DVC 8". Designed the crossover a few weeks ago, ordered the drivers with the DOTD.

Till then...

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Steve.
        Oooohh thanks for the heads up. I bought a couple more and PE cabinets too. Hopefully I can make some progress soon. I see PE added htguide to the "where did you hear about us" menu.

I'm using the DX25 for a TM LR2 design, but those D26 would be great for an MTM LR4 speaker.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

Whoa, nice deal. I just ordered a few more... for no reason. :B I think I have enough on hand now to do a pair of MMTMM systems if I wanted to.

I've come to the conclusion that Parts Express doesn't have any under-$20 tweeters to do a low Fc MTM or an LR2 around 2.5kHz or so. Heh, wait until you guys see the results of these Goldwoods I just tested. Off to stick them in my blog right now...
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• castlesteve
            • Dec 2005

W5-704d

Thanks guys. I think i`m going to go ahead with the mtms and see what i can come up with. I`m pretty much a beginner at designing crossovers so it`ll take me a while.
            Steve.

Comment

• 69Stingray
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
              Whoa, nice deal. I just ordered a few more... for no reason. :B I think I have enough on hand now to do a pair of MMTMM systems if I wanted to.

I've come to the conclusion that Parts Express doesn't have any under-$20 tweeters to do a low Fc MTM or an LR2 around 2.5kHz or so. Heh, wait until you guys see the results of these Goldwoods I just tested. Off to stick them in my blog right now...

John, great write-up of the W5-704 on your blog. Again, thanks for all of the information you post for the DIY community. I think there are going to a few TM designs floating around, a MMTMM would be a great addition. Could be a good chance to use your waveguide method for mounting the D26NC55?

Comment

• Habs4life
                • Apr 2006

Thanks for the heads up,I couldn't resist one of these $15 babies for use as a midrange in a WMTW active center channel.

Comment

• JonP
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Habs4life
                  Thanks for the heads up,I couldn't resist one of these $15 babies for use as a midrange in a WMTW active center channel.
                  Arrrgh.... been meaning to try the dipole thing, with some moderately decent mids, and I miss a deal for the updated Aethers drivers!!

Comment

• Mazeroth
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonP
                    Arrrgh.... been meaning to try the dipole thing, with some moderately decent mids, and I miss a deal for the updated Aethers drivers!!
                    Jon,

It can't hurt to contact PE to see if they'll still let you snag some at $15. I've done this a few times in the past and they just tell me to make a note with my order and they always adjust the price for me.

Comment

• Undefinition
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonP
                      Well, even at their normal price, you'll still come in under the $300 mark. But go ahead and try to get the DOTW price.

I'm very anxious to get this package of drivers. Assuming these work as intended (which they do, at least in the model), this will be the final version of the Aethers.

For those who are taking the dipole plunge (well, hybrid dipole) with this project, I think you'll really enjoy the results. If you don't, well you'll have some nice drivers on hand to use elsewhere.

-Paul

questions: Undefinition -at- a o l.c o m
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Operandi
                        • May 2007

If anyone is curious I e-mailed PE and they told me they would honor the $15 price until the 30th. Now the only question is how many should I order ?

Comment

• Hank
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2002

So, if I make a note on an order today, PE will sell them to me for the $15 special price?
                          Tweets: I've been wanting to know if anyone has used those very low Fs TB's:
                          the 28-847SE with 850 Hz Fs and the 28-847SD with the 600 Hz Fs, 1,500 - 25,000 and 1,200 - 25,000 Hz freq response, respectively. $24.59 each.
                          TB titanium dome 25-1414SC with Fs of 800 Hz, 1,600 - 20,000 freq response, watch the Re of 3 ohms, $23.79 each.
                          Dayton DC28FS-8 silk dome, Fs of 907 ohms, "cross over as low as 1,800 Hz", $16.75.

Comment

• Operandi
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Hank
                            So, if I make a note on an order today, PE will sell them to me for the $15 special price?
                            I think you'll have to call or e-mail them and ask to get the price from last week.

Comment

• peter_m
                              • Sep 2007

Hank,
                              Look at the Hivi SD1.1-a. It has a larger flange and a slightly worst FR curve, but they should have better HD then the TangBangs also less expensive! The Hivi K1 looks even better but doesn't show on at PE's site.

Peter

Comment

• Hank
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2002

The Hivi K1 looks VERY good! Notice the reference to $9 cost too.
                                Yeah, the TB 25-1414 has a big 15 - 20k peak.
                                The Dayton DC28FS-8 has a small 12 - 13k dip, but otherwise looks very good and it's only $16.75. Based on curves only, I'd say it might be second choice.
                                Here's the K1 at Madisound for $8.55: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...9e31f2f2fda892
                                Note that though the Fs is 800 Hz, the "Recommended Crossover Frequency(Hz): >2,500 Hz". Overly cautious? Uh-oh, its flange diameter is 4.57" and the Dayton DC28 is 4.325". hmmmm...

Comment

• guitarded
                                  • Jan 2008

Is this a shielded driver? It looks like it is judjing by the picture. The sales rep at PE was unsure.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                    • Dec 2005

Doh! :E I've got some of the new ones in today, they are in fact not shielded. There's some other differences too. I'll go over it in my blog.
                                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Hank
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2002

Sure looks like TB's shielded magnet structure.
                                      Woops - I just looked at the impedance curve on this puppy! One thing I've learned from the gurus here is that blips on the I curve indicate sound quality problems. This one has two - one at 300 - 450 Hz and the other, unfortunately at 1,000+ Hz. Whaddya think? Probably okay for a budget, but the total cost of a WWTWW, which is what I was considering....I dunno.

Comment

• Habs4life
                                        • Apr 2006

Doh! :E I've got some of the new ones in today, they are in fact not shielded. There's some other differences too. I'll go over it in my blog.
                                        Oh oh,I don't like the tone of this post. :E I was hoping they would be suitable for midrange usage from 300-2k with active LR4.I hope that John has good news.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                          • Dec 2005

Sure looks like TB's shielded magnet structure.
                                          Not anymore...
                                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• dlneubec
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

I just posted this over on the PE board and thought I'd add it here too for those interested in this thread.

I just measured two of them on WT3. This is the rounded average of what I got, right out of the box, no breakin. These are different from what you got John in your posted tests.

Re: 6.0
                                            Fs: 54.5
                                            Qts: .48
                                            Qes: .58
                                            Qms: 2.7
                                            Le: .44
                                            Mms: 9.1
                                            Vas: 12.3
                                            Dan N.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                              • Dec 2005

Are those new unshielded versions? I'll start my normal breakin sequence and probably test tomorrow or the next day. I'll report results here.
                                              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Those are the new unshielded versions that just showed up today.
                                                Dan N.

Comment

• Hank
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jul 2002

Looks like PE was selling off stock of shielded versions at $15 as the new unshielded version came into stock. That happened with a speaker project a while back - the cabinets on sale were a finish they were discontinuing, although the flyer article didn't mention that. When I placed an order, I was told they were out of stock, discontinued and there would be no more, but I could buy another finish cabinet at regular price.
                                                  Anyway, with the impedance blips and FR curve, I think I'll pass, because I was interested in a WWTWW, but I'd rather do that with better drivers. Not to put a damper on this thread - ignore me and go for it

Comment

• augerpro
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2006

Hank is this 3rd party testing you've seen or just the manufacturer's info? This situation is a bit concerning- I hope it doesn't throw a wrench in my plans to use this woofer in a new project. I look forward to John's measurements to see what if anything has changed.
                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                    DriverVault
                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                      • Nov 2004

Hank is probably referring to TB's own measurements, which almost always show anomalies in their impedance plots that, when measured by one of us DIYers, aren't present. I wouldn't worry too much...yet. :B

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

Yeah that's what I was thinking too
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Here is a plot of the impedance sweep from WT3 for the two drivers I tested. There are some impedance blips, but the scale is pretty exaggerated in the plot. These were the new, unshielded version, right out of the box, no break in.
                                                          Attached Files
                                                          Dan N.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                            • Dec 2005

(image) - Impedance curve
                                                            (image) - Impedance curve, zoomed in
                                                            (image) - T/S parameters, standard testing
                                                            (image) - T/S parameters, low level

Just got these this morning before work. They broke in over night and had a half hour to cool. Specs really didn't change from breakin too much, probably down about 3 hz Fs and 1 liter up in Vas. I use delta compliance for accuracy. My standard testing is high level, which varies based on driver size. For 5's, I do around 3 watts. Somewhere, I saw someone ask what the difference was with low level testing, so I thought I would include one of those too. (about 1/10 watt) Low and high level T/S differences are not consistent between models, but when there is a difference, this is common.

Qts is a bit smaller than the shielded versions I have around the house, but this is still primarily a sealed box woof. To use it vented without boominess would require a .5 cu ft enclosure, and in that case power handling would go down to nothing. Unless of course multiples are used to keep excursion down... a MMTMM keeps looking more appealing to me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do one at this point.

The cone and surround appear similar to old versions but the spider is much more compliant in the new version. And as you can see, the new frame has improved ventilation.

There are some minor bumps visible in my zoomed in impedance curve, typical of soft cone drivers. These are not an issue to me unless I start seeing something like this. (full range driver with a too-light cone for efficiency)

I'll get further tests done when I get time, but it's already obvious that it's a nice driver for $25 and an incredible deal for $15.
                                                            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• dlr
                                                              • Feb 2005

I mentioned this over at the PE forum. The sale page had a "D" for the part number while the picture (click to zoom) clearly shows a picture of the tag with an "S" end for the part number, indicating that the part number listed was not for the shielded one. No one replied at all, so I said no more.
                                                              Last edited by dlr; 30 January 2008, 13:24 Wednesday. Reason: Picture has the "shielded" tag indicator, not the pdf
                                                              Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Hank
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jul 2002

Hank is this 3rd party testing you've seen or just the manufacturer's info?
                                                                It's the plot from TB's spec sheet.
                                                                Hank is probably referring to TB's own measurements, which almost always show anomalies in their impedance plots that, when measured by one of us DIYers, aren't present.
                                                                hmmm...I hadn't noticed that. How could TB plots show impedance blips that don't exist? It's odd that they would show a plot that would drive away sales. Strange indeed. If these new unshielded versions really are smooth, then they might make for a decent budget MT design.

Comment

• Habs4life
                                                                  • Apr 2006

I recieved mine today and I'm pleasantly surprised at the build quality of this driver,incredible for the price.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

How could TB plots show impedance blips that don't exist?
                                                                    The exist, but Tangband's vertical impedance scale is amplified. The vertical scale used by most DIY'ers won't show such small bumps.

Tangband has some really whacked out measurements. Their response vertical scale is always squashed so that every driver looks flat.
                                                                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Hank
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2002

The exist, but Tangband's vertical impedance scale is amplified. The vertical scale used by most DIY'ers won't show such small bumps.

Tangband has some really whacked out measurements. Their response vertical scale is always squashed so that every driver looks flat.
                                                                      The exist, but Tangband's vertical impedance scale is amplified.
                                                                      Sorry, I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant - their impedance scale is quite amplified - they are doing themselves a disservice. I guess they think all we care about is a smooth Fr response, so they present those graphs in best (Marketing) light. :roll:

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2006

Just recieved my pair and they are the new unshielded ones. I don't know if I'll get a chance to measure them this weekend, hopefully Zaph can. If they are not interchangeable with my older pair I may have to just sell the older ones and buy another pair of new ones for my project in case anyone builds it :M I wonder if PE is willing to exchange the older ones...
                                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                                        DriverVault
                                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2007

Got mine yesterday. Looks likes Zaph's, not the picture on PE's website. I was very surprised. Venting shouldn't be an issue! My terminals were bent due to packaging though. That happened on some of my Tang Band tweeters also.

Spider seems very compliant...haven't tested yet.

Comment

• omarmipi
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2006
                                                                            • 12

Just bumping this up. I would love to see a budget design with the Tang Band W5-704D and Aurasound NT1-204-8D.

Comment

• MeathooK
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2010
                                                                              • 3

#39
                                                                              Hate to bring this thread back from the dead...but does anybody (or Zaph) have a copy of the T/S parameters he got when he tested this driver?

Thanks!

Comment

• NyxOne
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2008
                                                                                • 184

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by MeathooK
                                                                                Hate to bring this thread back from the dead...but does anybody (or Zaph) have a copy of the T/S parameters he got when he tested this driver?

Thanks!
                                                                                From Zaph Site :

Chuck

Comment

• MeathooK
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2010
                                                                                  • 3

#41
                                                                                  Thank you sir! Can't believe I didn't see the graph selector at the top of the page...embarrassing ops:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"