X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niget2002
    • Aug 2007

measurement amps

What amps are ya'll using for taking measurements?

Especially those that are using LspCAD and using the built-in ability to simulate passive crossovers.

Income tax checks are coming in next month and I like to spend mine before the SO sees it

The M-audio Firewire 410 is already on the list.

Are there any smallish multi-channel amps that would work? Or do I just need to look into getting a couple of regular amps.

I guess I could always use my receivers multi-channel analog inputs and hook the analog outs to the speakers (in pure-direct mode this should bypass everything in the receiver), but I would like something for a "test" room.
  • ch83575
    • Sep 2006

I purchased a used NAD 906 a while back for this purpose. It is a 6 channel amp, I think it is only rated at 30 watts (60 w/ two channels bridged), but NAD stuff always has bigger balls than the wattage would lead you to believe. I like it because it is just a power amp, so it can be brought into service for multi-way active systems if necessary (or simulating a crossover if your software supports it), but it has a small volume dial on the back for each channel which makes taking measurements easier. NAD has a current version, but it aint cheap... I got my 906 for about $200.

-Chad

Comment

• gmikol
      • Mar 2007

I'm using a battery-powered LM1875 for measurements (FR, impedance), and I'm looking at using some 41Hz.com AMP9 kits (4x50W) for playing with Active XO's. My understanding is that Class D amps are bad for electrical measurement (like impedance).

--Greg

Comment

• tpremo55
        • Apr 2006

I'm currently running a Kenwood Basic M2A for the testing that I have been doing, but not using the crossover emulation feature yet that requires multi-channel. Is there any reason why an inepensive, low-power receiver with 5-channels would not work for this? Is there typically a response deficiency in these amps that would impact the results?

Comment

• niget2002
          • Aug 2007

Ya'll gave me some good ideas... I asked around at work and found someone with an old receiver he wasn't using. Best part was the price... Free!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"