X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpotoka
    • Sep 2007

DCX2496 vs CX3400 with 7.1 Receiver

So I am working on my project (The Riahs) and I am considering an active xover, not that i would permanently use it on the speakers--but to experiment and figure out what sound I like, before I purchase passive parts.

I was wondering a couple things--first, what am I "giving up" by using the CX3400--I am sure some amount of flexibility--I just don't know specifics, and what I won't be able to accomplish. Will the 3400 get me "enough" to decide what to use for a passive setup, or should I just spend the money on the 2496.

Secondly--I realize I need seperate amplification for all the speakers if I go this route. Well i was just thinking the other day that I replace my Pioneer Elite 45TX with an Onkyo 705. I was wondering if I make a few cables--could I just use L, SL, BL, R, SR, and BR pre-ins on my Pioneer? It would give me post-eq delay and volume adjustment (at least I think I can adjust delay and gain still on multichannel mode). Thoughts on this approach?

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 3400 is an analog crossover with 24dB/octave LR filters. It has no EQ functions, it can't do BSC.

The DCX is a digital processing unit that allows the creation of multiple different slopes, different filter types and EQ all in one package..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mpotoka
      • Sep 2007

Sound like for the additional $120 its practially a no-brainer.

Would the 2496 work well using pre-ins on a receiver?

Comment

• mpotoka
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by mpotoka
        Sound like for the additional $120 its practially a no-brainer.

Would the 2496 work well using pre-ins on a receiver?

I guess I forsee a potential issue long term if someone were to switch inputs by accident--and suddenly start sending out a full-range signal to the tweeters...

Comment

• CraigJ
          • Feb 2006

Newform Research has a good article on how a DCX can be utilized with a receiver. If it's O.K. with Thomas, here is the link; https://www.newformresearch.com/digi...r-packages.htm, if not, feel free to edit.
          Also, your current Pioneer receiver should be just fine.

Comment

• mpotoka
            • Sep 2007

Thanks--confirmed what I thought would work. I can delete this thread.... or can't I? I dunno if the mods prefer they be gone as to not clog it up...

Comment

• Mazeroth
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CraigJ
              Newform Research has a good article on how a DCX can be utilized with a receiver. If it's O.K. with Thomas, here is the link; https://www.newformresearch.com/digi...r-packages.htm, if not, feel free to edit.
              Also, your current Pioneer receiver should be just fine.
              I was using a very similar setup before I recently moved only I was using the Panasonic XR-25 receiver. In fact, I own three of them! They only have 5 channels of amplification from the 5.1 inputs (sub doesn't count) so I was using 2 receivers (got for ~ $100 off ebay) for the six channels of amplification I needed. Signal chain was CD player analog out to DCX2496 analog in to receivers' analog inputs. Since the receivers were the same I could use one remote to control both volume controls, which worked like a charm. Now that they have receivers with more than 5 usable inputs I would definitely go that route.

As far as sound quality goes I have no complaints. By no means do I have a golden ear but to me the sound quality was absolutely amazing. Also, the DCX2496 is a true gem for its price. Not only can you use it for your crossover but the EQ capabilities really make it shine. You can adjust the EQ to better suit your tastes and to clean up some of the room induced anomalies. It can also compensate for delay.

So yeah, I like it! :T

Comment

• ttan98
                • Mar 2007

"Signal chain was CD player analog out to DCX2496.."

if you have coaxial digital out from CD player you can connect directly into the input A or B from your DCX2496. you have a digital chain throughout till you reach your the amplifier. there is major improvements in audio quality with this config.

Comment

• mpotoka
                  • Sep 2007

Well I would be hooking it up to my Oppo 971--so if I want to get the SACD I would need to use analog inputs--I guess I don't even know if the DCX has those or not--I haven't looked at the manual--I would guess there are a couple inputs....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"