X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danno30008
    • Jan 2008

DIY speaker plans, help

Good mornig everyone:

Well, I an the "new guy on the block" and am looking for some ideas about speaker stands. I am looking for something kinda "Modern" as my 27 year old son calls it. I am an old guy, so I have no idea what is considered as modern. Anyway, I have an ok, hand for woodworking and want to make him two sets with the speakers being about 14" off the floor. The speakers are about 50 pounds each and 12" x 10" on the bottom. These maeasurments are rough and as I move along, will get more accurate info.
    So, any great ideas/plans/photos out there that you might want to share?
    Finally, I will be making these out of hardwood, either walnut or cherry.
    Thanks ain advance and take care
    Dan in Atlanta
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum! So the stands only need to be about 14"H? How tall are the actual speakers. I know you said the base is 12 x 10. Do you happen to have any pics of them? It might make it a little easier to help you come up with a design.

The only stands I've ever built were 6"x6" MDF columns with either a textured black finish or veneer in the same species of the speakers I built. Then the speaker base and bottom baseplate were MDF painted black or with the textured black finish mentioned above.

A combination of black MDF with the hardwood attached to the sides somehow might make for some interesting looking stands. I've seen a few stands here that you might be able to copy somewhat. I'll see if I can find them.

BTW, nice to see some other folks here from GA. I'm originally from Milledgeville but lived in Metro-Atlanta for 13 years before moving to FL 2.5 years ago. I live in the DeKalb Co./Gwinnett Co. areas while I was there. Mostly Decatur/Lawrenceville/Loganville part of town.

Comment

• Danno30008
      • Jan 2008

Brian:

Thanks for the welcome and reply too.

I just dropped off the speakers to my son and will have him take some photos and e mail them to me. It should take a copuple days amd then I will post.
      Thanks again and take care

Dan

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

If you're goal is "Modern" I would think something with shiny pipes would work the best. Build a thick top and bottom plate, cut 3 3" diameter pipes to your 14" height, then use some threaded rod down the middle of each pipe to clamp everything tight. If you recess the bolts and they should be covered on top by the speakers. Then just add some spikes to the bottom, and you're good to go.

I've seen lots of examples similar to this on the web. Some use a single big diameter PVC pipe down the middle or whatever. I've always seen this method described as easy.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Gir
          • Dec 2006

I'm not sure how "modern" mine are, but they're definitely unique. I used 4" PVC pipe for the middle and surrounded it by 4 1" oak dowels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1304441643_9d3633beae.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	952553
          Last edited by theSven; 21 April 2024, 10:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
          -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Someone built one of Zaph's designs using a PE gloss black enclosure but replaced the baffle with solid wood stained bright red. They also built matching stands. I can't remember who, so I'm not sure how to find the pics, but this is the one design I had in my head that seemed to be a little more modern/contemporary.

Comment

• Operandi
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
              Someone built one of Zaph's designs using a PE gloss black enclosure but replaced the baffle with solid wood stained bright red. They also built matching stands. I can't remember who, so I'm not sure how to find the pics, but this is the one design I had in my head that seemed to be a little more modern/contemporary.
              Pretty sure you mean Finleyville's Zaph L18s 2-way, definitely a memorable speaker.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

Yep, that's the one!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"