• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexnick
    • Dec 2005

What do you think about these?

• jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

Nice looking speakers. It's a Seas 25TFFC tweeter and an L18 woofer with a black anodized cone. They cross about 500 Hz higher than I did in my L18 design and it's reflected in their harmonic distortion sweep. Crossing at 2500 Hz allows that 3rd order peak at 2300 Hz to approach 1%. Crossing at 2000, that peak goes down to .4%. (I've measured)

Even crossed over at 2500 Hz, the L18 probably still sounds good. They at least filtered the breakup, and the 3rd order peak is very narrow in bandwidth which directly means it's far less likely to be excited with most music. I think they could have done a bit better job with the driver integration - notice the 4dB of negative summing below the crossover point, not a good thing given the LR4 slopes. The tweeter needs more rolloff to resolve that.

Overall, I'm impressed with the enclosure, nice drivers, but a so-so crossover.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• alexnick
      • Dec 2005

Thank you for sharing your opinion, jkrutke. Don't you think that they are using this driver instead of L18? http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1464
      These speakers are quite expensive, ~3000euros, and they seem to sound very good.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

I'm positive it's not the P18. I can tell by the cone profile, but the real giveaway is that you can see the aluminum rolled lip on the inside. The P18 has a straight edge where it attaches to the surround.

3000 euros, ouch. That's about 4400 USD. They look nice though. Probably worth it, though I'd redo the crossover.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

I'd rather have a TWWW 2.5-way version of Zaph's design or the same of CJD's 27TDFC/RS150 designs. I bet you'd have a nicer speaker for a lot less money. Recreating the cabinet would be the toughest part.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

All models make use of a 6½-inch bass/mid drive unit specially designed by SEAS for Opera
            Do you think this is marketing BS or did they have the L18 modified? I see this statement used by almost every single speaker manufacturer. How many of them are actually having the driver modified? What do you think the possible modifications could be?

And, while that price seems high, I sometimes try and think to myself how much $$ I would require to build someone a pair of Khans, CJD's MTM, or any speaker that requires a custom box. Trust me, I work cheap, but not that cheap. And, with the finish level on those, wow that is a lot of effort.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Concillian
              • Dec 2007

Well, a normal L18 is silver and theirs is black. So yeah, they had it modified.

In most cases I imagine something like this is happening. You buy a large enough batch and give long enough lead time, sure they can make some cosmetic substitutions for marginal or no cost increase just so you can say yours is different.

I believe that most of these MFRs really do have different drivers, however, I don't believe that they are different in any audible way.

The typical "just enough information to be dangerous" DIYer doesn't know enough about crossovers to know that he shouldn't be designing them until he knows a lot more about them. I think there is a general trend for this type of person to put too much weight of what makes good speakers good on the drivers.

I think part of what these manufacturers are probably trying to do is head off this type of inexperienced DIYer from going out and building clone speakers that have a messed up crossover just because he knows what drivers they chose and thinks that because he uses the same drivers, his will be just as good. He sees "custom driver" and because he thinks drivers are 90% of what makes a great speaker great, he won't try to replicate the design.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"