Final touches on a black glossy finish ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_free69
    • Dec 2007

Final touches on a black glossy finish ?

just about done with the finish on the cabs for my zaph SR-71.

This is my first "neatness counts / from scratch" project. All my previous projects have been either utility cabs for pro-sound or refurbs of good quality hifi cabinets.

i didn't intend to be such a perfectionist about it , but you know what happens once you get started...

Ive got MDF + oil based primer sprayed on + 3 coats of black gloss enamel.
    in between i've been lightly sanding with 220 and then 400 grit.

For the most part its looking excellent ( not factory perfect mirrors, but still fairly impressive )... When I go home tonight I hope to be sufficiently satisfied to declare victory.

so now what? wet sand with a finer grit and pronounce it "done"?
  • Concillian
    • Dec 2007

depends on how glossy you want it.

This guy did a great "How to" on glossy black finishes.
    Paint Finishing Technique I've had a few emails about the finish technique I used on the Percieves so I've decided to try and capture the finishing process again and also add some useful commentary on what I do throughout. The last time I tried this it was on a silver basecoat and you could...

Stop at any stage where you consider it "good enough" it takes quite a lot of time if you go all the way to super smooth / glossy.

Comment

• JonP
      • Apr 2006

You should check out Micro Mesh abrasive sheets...

Micro Mesh kits

I did a project a while ago, with a straight Shellac finish... and towards the end as I was polishing to a high gloss I bought a "starter kit" from my local Rockler.
      I was highly impressed. Did wet sanding thru the whole range, (1500-12000) and the results were utterly like glass. The sheets were faster and easier to use than the high quality sandpaper my woodworker friend gave me, and best of all, never clogged the whole time, and are ready for more use. I'm told they last many, many times longer than regular paper.

I don't see a kit like mine on the Micro Mesh site, though there are a few similar ones. I'm not seeing the Rockler sampler kit on Rockler's site either... but check your local store. Otherwise get one of the cheaper repair kits that cover the lower part of the range, and buy one each of the higher ones. Or, buy one each from Rockler or Micro Mesh.

Check out the site for info, comparative grain size, usage, etc.. (Their 1500 is about 400 grit in regular paper)

Fabulous stuff. No, not on commission... :B But for anyone doing the daunting Piano Black finish, it should make your life a lot easier.
      Last edited by JonP; 10 January 2008, 22:45 Thursday.

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by JonP
        You should check out Micro Mesh abrasive sheets...

Micro Mesh kits

I did a project a while ago, with a straight Shellac finish... and towards the end as I was polishing to a high gloss I bought a "starter kit" from my local Rockler.
        I was highly impressed. Did wet sanding thru the whole range, (1500-12000) and the results were utterly like glass. The sheets were faster and easier to use than the high quality sandpaper my woodworker friend gave me, and best of all, never clogged the whole time, and are ready for more use. I'm told they last many, many times longer than regular paper.

I don't see a kit like mine on the Micro Mesh site, though there are a few similar ones. I'm not seeing the Rockler sampler kit on Rockler's site either... but check your local store. Otherwise get one of the cheaper repair kits that cover the lower part of the range, and buy one each of the higher ones. Or, buy one each from Rockler or Micro Mesh.

Check out the site for info, comparative grain size, usage, etc.. (Their 1500 is about 600 grit in regular paper)

Fabulous stuff. No, not on commission... :B But for anyone doing the daunting Piano Black finish, it should make your life a lot easier.

wow I'll definatly have to try that stuf out

Comment

• jeff_free69
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Concillian
          depends on how glossy you want it.

This guy did a great "How to" on glossy black finishes.
          Paint Finishing Technique I've had a few emails about the finish technique I used on the Percieves so I've decided to try and capture the finishing process again and also add some useful commentary on what I do throughout. The last time I tried this it was on a silver basecoat and you could...

Stop at any stage where you consider it "good enough" it takes quite a lot of time if you go all the way to super smooth / glossy.
          Thanks - this is clearly the gold standard!
          More ambitious than i need, but plenty of tips to get it up to the "good enough" level.

Afterall, i need to get these puppies into the studio soon so i can start making music

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"