X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Peerless 830986 full range

There is already a thread on these drivers but that has developed into preamp and amp design.

I want to focus on the drivers, starting with build quality and maybe later continue with measurements.

First of all, a side view: vented spider, vented voice coil former.
    Attached Files
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Rear view: really open construction. Interestingly, they did not use the segmented cone edge seen on many Vifa drivers including the TG9.
    Attached Files

Comment

• capslock
      • Dec 2004

Aluminum dust cap sits right on the voice coil. I even suspect they might be made from one piece:
      Attached Files

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

Alu dustcap -> better HF response?

Comment

• Reet
          • Dec 2007

This looks like a very good driver, but I don't think I would want to use it "full range". It's frequency response shows a fairly significant peak around 10kHz that will likely melt your ears. I doubt this driver would be very useful above 7kHz.

It would likely work well crossed to a small tweeter at around 4kHz. When crossing this high, good results can be achieved with cheap drivers. The Aura NT1 looks like a very good candidate.

Interestingly enough, I wan unable to find this product on Tymphany's website, however there is a datasheet at Madisound that states "OEM preliminary" so this driver may be some sort of oddity exclusive to Madisound, like a nice Vifa subwoofer I remember them carrying a while back. Tymphany's website did look a bit different today, with some indication of products to come: Peerless Aluminum HDS woofer, new Scan-Speak no-corners-cut driver. But that's a discussion for a different thread.
          https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• Gir
            • Dec 2006

That 10kHz peak should be easy enough to take it with a notch filter. They probably wouldn't do too bad as a fullrange once that is fixed. You'll just have that little oddity above 15kHz where it has a big dip on axis, then rises at 30 degrees off axis, then goes back down at 60 8O
            -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Reet
              • Dec 2007

the 10kHz peak looks like the cone breakup of the aluminum cone, and even if the peak is brought back to a flat response with a filter, the distortion at this point would still be very high. I guess the 2nd harmonic may be out of audible range, but your dog would surely suffer

It probably could be done, but I personally would spend the extra on the tweeter and crossover parts if I were to use this driver. The Aura NS3 for a few more dollars I think would be a better selection for full range use.
              https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Hey Capslock,

I've got a pair of these and took some quick HD tests and they look to be very good- which I've posted in the amp/computer speaker thread where I am planning a small two way with these and the Aura NT1. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...2&postcount=28

I want to properly mount them and see if I can get the distortion a bit lower. I measured them in a flimsy box and THD was respectable from 400-500hz on up. Who knows, might be competition for the Accuton C44s :W .

Jed

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

You know, there have been several requests here for a 'diffuse' surround speaker for HT. I had a pair of the original Bose (gasp) 901s for a while back in the day and I've often thought they'd make a great surround speaker if I had kept them. With these little babies going for $12 in quantity, it wouldn't cost all that much to build a mini 901 with 8 drivers firing backward and 1 firing forward. Or, maybe 4 backward and 1 forward. Hang them from the ceiling a little way from the wall and bounce sound all over the room.

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    You know, there have been several requests here for a 'diffuse' surround speaker for HT. I had a pair of the original Bose (gasp) 901s for a while back in the day and I've often thought they'd make a great surround speaker if I had kept them. With these little babies going for $12 in quantity, it wouldn't cost all that much to build a mini 901 with 8 drivers firing backward and 1 firing forward. Or, maybe 4 backward and 1 forward. Hang them from the ceiling a little way from the wall and bounce sound all over the room.

HERETIC!!!! LOL
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"