X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wurm_usmc
    • Jan 2008

Custom subwoofer

Hi,
    I am a marine and kind of limited on supplys i have a klipsh promedia 5.1 system the amp or something stoped working on it. the speakers are still good, so i have plugged them into a reciever and am currently using them as a home theatre they work great. Except for the sub. it is a box with two 10" inside and need a way to make it work with my system. The reciever only has a subwoofer preout i want to make it work with out buying an amplifier if it is possible or if someone knows how to use the built in amp. Any advice would be much appreciated. Semper FI!!!
  • Sdiver2489
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wurm_usmc
    Hi,
    I am a marine and kind of limited on supplys i have a klipsh promedia 5.1 system the amp or something stoped working on it. the speakers are still good, so i have plugged them into a reciever and am currently using them as a home theatre they work great. Except for the sub. it is a box with two 10" inside and need a way to make it work with my system. The reciever only has a subwoofer preout i want to make it work with out buying an amplifier if it is possible or if someone knows how to use the built in amp. Any advice would be much appreciated. Semper FI!!!
    FYI the sub is a dual 8" design.

Secondly, a sub preout means that there is no amplifier on that output. If that's the only output the receiver has for a subwoofer then you need an amp.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

If the speakers work well when hooked directly to the receiver, it sounds like the amp in the sub amp is having problems. Unfortunately, there likely isn't a way to fix it easily. The Klipsh site mentions that the system uses a 500W Bash Amp - it may be similar to this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=24269734

You could try replacing the amp, but Klipsh may have some custom EQ in the amp that wouldn't be in the replacement amp. The best solution for you may be a new sub. The PE Dayton 12" always gets good reviews for low budget subs: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-635
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Also make sure your receiver has a set-able crossover. Those Klipsh probably like a ~120-150hz crossover. If your receiver is hardwired to 80hz (like many cheap receivers are), then you may not like the results.

Unfortunately, those HTIB type systems aren't designed to be upgraded, repaired. Just used and thrown away.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Sdiver2489
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
          If the speakers work well when hooked directly to the receiver, it sounds like the amp in the sub amp is having problems. Unfortunately, there likely isn't a way to fix it easily. The Klipsh site mentions that the system uses a 500W Bash Amp - it may be similar to this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=24269734

You could try replacing the amp, but Klipsh may have some custom EQ in the amp that wouldn't be in the replacement amp. The best solution for you may be a new sub. The PE Dayton 12" always gets good reviews for low budget subs: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-635
          doubtful considering that amp costs about the same as that entire speaker system

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"