X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brentmcd
    • Dec 2004

Crossover help would be much appreciated

I've built about 20 speakers using other people’s designs and I enjoy woodworking a great deal. It’s an excellent hobby to escape from working as a mortgage broker in these trouble times.

I listen to Rock and most anything with guitar. Interestingly (at least to me) I've found myself listening to a lot of Spanish Guitar recently.

Anyway, I've obtained a pair of Scan Speak D2905/9300 tweeters and would like to make use of them in a pair of nice 2-ways monitors for my office that will seldom play at very loud levels. I'll probably mount them on awall using some hardware that will affix the speakers about 6 inches away from the wall.

I can assemble crossovers but I have ZERO experience at designing them.

Can the D2905/9300 tweeter be used as a drop in replacement in either of these two designs?

- Zaph SeasL18/Seas 27BFCG – by John “Zaph” Krutke

- RS180 Modula MT – by Jon Marsh

Plan B....and I fear this is a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyway. Can I use the Tweeter filter from one design with the woofer filter & enclosure from a different design and end up with a good sounding speaker?

For example can I combine the Tweeter filter from the M1 (link below) with the woofer Zaph's or Marsh's designs (above)?

- The M1: http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1021/[/CENTER]

Some other drivers I’d be interested in using with the Scan Speak D2905/9300 tweeters include the Peerless HDS 830883, Usher 8945P and maybe the Hi-Vi D6.8

As a side bar I want to express my HEARTFELT APPRECIATION to the many knowledgeable guys who post on this forum. THANKS MUCH!
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Hi Brent.

When looking for a drop in tweeter a few things to look for are identical impedance and efficiency. Both of which I don't think match too well in your proposed designs.

For best results it might be worthwhile to sell your drivers and build the design exactly to specs. In the long run you will be happier because you'll know the response will be close to the original design and you won't always be wondering what it "should" sound like if it had an appropriately designed crossover for the given set of drivers.

Jed
    Last edited by Jed; 31 December 2007, 20:38 Monday.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Given the cost and performance of 9300s it would be a shame to use them in a less than optimal design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brentmcd
        • Dec 2004

I've found two kits that use the Scan Speak Tweeter. One is the M1 sold by Meniscus that pairs it with the Scan Speak 18w/8545. The other is a Solen kit that pairs the tweeters with a Vifa PL18WO0908. Any thoughts on which would be better?

Thanks for your help,
        Brent

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Links?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brentmcd
            • Dec 2004

The Solen Premium Kit: http://www.solen.ca/v1/

They will sell me the kit without the tweeters for $277 + freight.

Meniscus sells the MA-1 which can be viewed on the 8th page of their catalog which can be viewed here: http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1021/
            The catalog does not give much info. I presume it is very similar if not identical to the M1 which can be viewed here: http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1021/

Thanks again,

Brent

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

I think meniscus uses real measurements in the actual box, so I would go with that one.

Jed

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Maybe you can rework the Audiocomponents kit.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"