I've got 6 Seas excel W15 & 3 Millennium tweets.... Now what???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HYPERTUNE
    • Dec 2007

I've got 6 Seas excel W15 & 3 Millennium tweets.... Now what???

I purchased these along with components required to build 3 "Froys",(years ago) and so far have built two for stereo use. To be honest, I'm not overly impressed with them and after doing a little research it seems that the crossovers may leave a little to be desired.

There seem to be quite a few threads regarding various MTM's with metal cone drivers here, and I hope to get some advice on how to get the most from these drivers....

I plan to implement them with a subwoofer and was thinking of doing an MTM in a sealed box with a volume around 11 litres.

I have a CNC machining centre and am tempted to do an enclosure like these:

ANY input would be appreciated.......
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

I know the Seas Thor does not have exactly the same drivers, but I believe the tweeters are the same. Read the following thread on this forum on the redesign on the seas thor to make it sound MUCH better. Not sure, but maybe you can do something with this?

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Where're you located? If you're in my area, or willing to ship, I'd be happy to work something up (box can be "temporary" as long as the baffle layout and treatment is final) - these'd be a nifty design to put together as it's a step up from my already popular MTM using two of the Dayton RS150S-8 and your choice of tweeters (Seas 27T*FC or Dayton RS28A)

That said, a quick glance over the numbers suggests the crossover work I've done for those would come awfully close to just working.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

What's the crossover frequency on those Froys? I've found that 1900 works pretty well in an MT design with the W15. In an MTM, a few hundred Hz lower helps for the typical MTM power response issues.

The W15 is one of my favorite drivers (aside from the wandering breakup node over the years) and I'm working on an MTM right now. I'm pretty much waiting for the DXT waveguide tweeter to become available for this design.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

2.2khz.

All the info on the Froy kit is here:

Davey.

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by cjd
            Where're you located? If you're in my area, or willing to ship, I'd be happy to work something up (box can be "temporary" as long as the baffle layout and treatment is final) - these'd be a nifty design to put together as it's a step up from my already popular MTM using two of the Dayton RS150S-8 and your choice of tweeters (Seas 27T*FC or Dayton RS28A)

That said, a quick glance over the numbers suggests the crossover work I've done for those would come awfully close to just working.

C
            Unfortunately I'm in Australia, otherwise I'd definately take you up on that offer
            Using your crossover is actually one of the things I was thinking. Do you think it would be a good place to start? Here is the schematic of what I am using now:

And a not so flattering review by Joe D and Dennis Colin, in which they mention possible deficiencies in the crossover:

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
              What's the crossover frequency on those Froys? I've found that 1900 works pretty well in an MT design with the W15. In an MTM, a few hundred Hz lower helps for the typical MTM power response issues.

The W15 is one of my favorite drivers (aside from the wandering breakup node over the years) and I'm working on an MTM right now. I'm pretty much waiting for the DXT waveguide tweeter to become available for this design.
              Yes as stated above, 2.2K.

So you are working on an MTM using the W15's? If so, I really think you need to design them around the Millenniums!!! :T (purely for my benefit)

Oh, I guess now is as good a time as any to thank you for your contribution to DIY. I have spent quite a bit of time reading your site over the years.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"