X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Micro computer speaker and amplifier build/design

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Image not available

I picked up a couple of these to test out. Might work out nice in a little computer speaker I have planned or in an "ultimate" micro mini speaker 3 way as a mid. I also have the Aurasound NS2s to compare them to. Should be interesting to see how they perform since they are cheaper than its 2" brother, which didn't do all that great considering the copper in the motor.
    Last edited by theSven; 10 August 2023, 22:17 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Ultimate mini 3 way huh? Hmm sounds interesting

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Ultimate mini 3 way huh? Hmm sounds interesting

Just put the word "ultimate" in front of any description and it gets everyone's attention. It's a little trick I picked up from my rhetoric class. :B

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

"Nice little computer speaker" got my attention
        -Chuck

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by impala454
          "Nice little computer speaker" got my attention

With any luck these will have decent distortion performance and I can pair it up with the Aura NT1 tweeters I have on hand. Width could be like 4" by 5.5" high. There is so much junk out there for micro computer speakers I thought I could step in and try something. I've been doing more and more youtube listening and it would be nice to have something decent for playback. Maybe use one of those Tamps too.

Jed

Comment

• Paul Ebert
            • May 2004

It does look nice for that sort of an application (or for a line array midrange). The cutout for flush mounting looks a bit difficult.

I wonder what the x-max is...

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
              It does look nice for that sort of an application (or for a line array midrange). The cutout for flush mounting looks a bit difficult.

I wonder what the x-max is...
              Considering the 2" fullrange is around 1.8mm, I'm sure this 3" driver has a bit more travel- just look at the surround. I'd probably just put some foam around the driver for diffraction control. A round frame is always nice though!

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

My mom could really use a nice little computer speaker. So, I'll be following this. Are you building a sub for it? My mom could care less though.
                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ahaik
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                  With any luck these will have decent distortion performance and I can pair it up with the Aura NT1 tweeters I have on hand. Width could be like 4" by 5.5" high. There is so much junk out there for micro computer speakers I thought I could step in and try something. I've been doing more and more youtube listening and it would be nice to have something decent for playback. Maybe use one of those Tamps too.

Jed
                  I would be very interested in a little 2 way computer speaker too :T
                  Could be a fun project with my son.

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

I'm getting them in tomorrow and I'll let you all know how they test out. For the micro computer speaker I'm going to use an Aura NT1 tweeter. $25 per side in drivers shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                      My mom could really use a nice little computer speaker. So, I'll be following this. Are you building a sub for it? My mom could care less though.
                      It would be cool if we could find an amplifier module that could go in a subwoofer and also power the satellites. Any recommendations? One of those peerless 6.5" SLS subs might be good or of course the TB 5"ers.

Jed

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

PE has a few amps that have speaker outputs as well I believe....like a 125watt amp. I'll look in a few.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

The Peerless SLS sounds good. I'll see what I can find in plate amps.

Edit: This would be my budget choice. I will probably use a T-amp for the HF.
                          Maybe someone will have better ideas.

Dayton 70W into 4 ohm
                          John unk:

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

This little sucker comes to mind:

Last edited by theSven; 11 August 2023, 17:27 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url
                            -Chuck

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

I can't say enough good things about the TB W6-1139. That little sub really impressed me. It can fit in a tiny box (neo motor is a big help here) and has 13mm of linear excursion! It's well behaved even when driven past xmax. For a high quality sub/sat system I think the 8" would be the obvious choice, but the 6.5" is perfect for moms.

I think that Peerless SLS is cool, if it has lower distortion than the TB I could see using them in compact 3 way maybe. But if you are only using one woofer for sub duties I think the excursion of the TB wins out. Just my .02

Image not available
                              Last edited by theSven; 10 August 2023, 22:04 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Operandi
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                                It would be cool if we could find an amplifier module that could go in a subwoofer and also power the satellites. Any recommendations? One of those peerless 6.5" SLS subs might be good or of course the TB 5"ers.

Jed
                                I believe this Keiga plate amp has what you are looking for.

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Thanks Brandon and Operandi. Good info. Wish that amp was about half the price- but it looks like it'll do everything I'd need it to.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Get a dealer license probably a lot cheaper then.

Comment

• Gir
                                      • Dec 2006

The Tangband W8-740 does a great job for a 8" (sub)woofer, and can also easily fit in a small enclosure like the W6. I built Zaph's BAMTM for a friend with two of the W8's in each tower, and those little guys are really impressive! They were shaking the whole house with ~500 watts to all four of 'em!

Also, for amp duty, I really love the idea of the 2.1 plate amp, but I don't think 50W is enough power. Perhaps we could take small amp for the speakers and mount it inside the sub along with a plate amp? I'd really love to see a fully integrated system, including a crossover for the sub so that only a stereo input is needed.
                                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• dlneubec
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Hi Jed,

I know this won't fit into a box, but it is a very nice little amp for the price, is reasonably small in size, very flexible in what you can do with it and on sale for $129 including shipping. I picked one up to power the main MTM panels in my Nao Mini's and it does a very fine job, IMHO.

Emotiva BPA-1
                                        Dan N.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

He was looking for something that had 2 channels for the mains and a channel for the sub. That has 2 channels at most total.

Comment

• peter_m
                                            • Sep 2007

The BPA-1 is sold out but they should have a replacement coming out soon. I was planing on using 1 unit for the satellites and then the second unit in bridged mode for the sub.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2007

Another option would be to use a Dayton plate amp to drive the sub. Then use a T-amp or Emotiva BPA-1 to drive the satellites and to drive the speaker level inputs of the sub amp. This would let you use T-amp or Emotiva BPA-1 volume controll for the system. Of course, you couldn't use the high pass filter in this configuration, just the sat's natural roll off.
                                              John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Well you guys are talking about quite a bit of money in amps.

Comment

• Gir
                                                  • Dec 2006

Are there any 2.1 plate amps that put out 100+W for the sub? I smell a 2.1 amp project
                                                  -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

I would probably use some sort of chipamp....but I've had a lot of problems with noise in those. I do have a couple Ref RevC's from twisted pear...they would work pretty well although probably too much power for the mains. They do like 52 watts per channel.

Comment

• impala454
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2007

"The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Killer"
                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Jed
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2005

I finally got the Peerless 3" drivers in today and had a chance to take some quick and dirty measurements. THD is less than .5% from 300hz on up and remains mostly .2-.3% with no substantial peaks or dips. I'd post the graph but I want to make a proper baffle and compare them to the TB W4s, Accuton C79s, or any other driver I have laying around. Wish I had some Dayton RS52s here to compare them to, but from the looks of my distortion measurements the little Peerless might be in the same league from 800hz on up.

Right now I can't help but think of pairing up my L16s with these little guys and the D26.

More testing to follow. They've got my attention.

Jed

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2007

Jed, that sounds great. Be interesting to see how they turn out for what ever project.

Edit: I'm itching to design a little class A 10-15W amp using discrete components. It would have a sub woofer line-level output and I could also add a switchable, HP filter for satellites. This can be a very simple circuit with little or no feedback and still have distortion <0.1 % at full output. I need to finish up some electronics projects I'm working on first. But, I may start a thread on that as an option for your computer speaker. Just thoughts right now.
                                                          John unk:

Comment

• mike93lx
                                                            • Dec 2007

jed, after taking your measurements, ho do you feel that this would do in a single driver, full range setup? Madisound's site suggests an 80 cubic inch enclosure and I was contemplating trying that out for a pair of basic computer-type speakers.

Thanks!

Comment

• peter_m
                                                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Gir
                                                              Are there any 2.1 plate amps that put out 100+W for the sub? I smell a 2.1 amp project
                                                              There is a 50w sub & 25+25w satellite plate amp at Madisound and Solen.ca. Don't know how the cross-over performs... is it just a low-pass for the sub, or does it have also a high pass for the satellites? Price was around 150$ Anyone tried it?

Comment

• Jed
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mike93lx
                                                                jed, after taking your measurements, ho do you feel that this would do in a single driver, full range setup? Madisound's site suggests an 80 cubic inch enclosure and I was contemplating trying that out for a pair of basic computer-type speakers.

Thanks!
                                                                It would work but a simple 2-way with an Aurasound would be better. This driver has some ringing above 10k and it will require a notch to suppress the cone breakup. It doesn't seem quite as extended as the W4-1337 above 10k. I plan on doing a harmonic distortion comparison between this little 3" driver and the W4-1337. I'll post more detail about that next week.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Jed, that sounds great. Be interesting to see how they turn out for what ever project.

Edit: I'm itching to design a little class A 10-15W amp using discrete components. It would have a sub woofer line-level output and I could also add a switchable, HP filter for satellites. This can be a very simple circuit with little or no feedback and still have distortion <0.1 % at full output. I need to finish up some electronics projects I'm working on first. But, I may start a thread on that as an option for your computer speaker. Just thoughts right now.
                                                                  That would be really neat, John. I'm interested for sure. I've got some time off this next week for Xmas break so you can be sure you guys will be seeing something from me.

Comment

• JonP
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jed

Right now I can't help but think of pairing up my L16s with these little guys and the D26.

Jed
                                                                    Hmmmm.... for a more econo approach, maybe the DA174 (or 135?) for the bottom? (probably pair with the Aura Titanium 3/4", for more econo)

The idea of micro 3 ways tickles me for some reason.

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Jed,

Maybe this would be of interest. Have you heard of the Reckhorn A-400 sub amp. They also sell the electronic crossover section out of it for only $45.00. They have them at CSS.
                                                                      Reckhorn F-1 at CSS

Combine that with some other portable or small amp and you might have what you were looking for. These look like they might have some real possibilities. Here is a link to more info at Reckhorn:
                                                                      Reckhorn F-1 data
                                                                      Dan N.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                        That would be really neat, John. I'm interested for sure. I've got some time off this next week for Xmas break so you can be sure you guys will be seeing something from me.
                                                                        Sounds good. I am looking into possible designs already. I want to keep it simple so people won't too intimidated and not try it. But, it should also have good performance. I'll start a thread once I come up with a design.
                                                                        John unk:

Comment

• peter_m
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by dlneubec
                                                                          Jed,

Maybe this would be of interest. Have you heard of the Reckhorn A-400 sub amp. They also sell the electronic crossover section out of it for only $45.00. They have them at CSS.
                                                                          Reckhorn F-1 at CSS

Combine that with some other portable or small amp and you might have what you were looking for. These look like they might have some real possibilities. Here is a link to more info at Reckhorn:
                                                                          Reckhorn F-1 data
                                                                          Sounds interesting and inexpensive... but read this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...fications.html

Comment

• Jed
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                            • 3621

Good find Peter.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 1877

#39
                                                                              Jed, I had this idea for a voltage gain stage. Basically I stole the input stage of Dennis Collins phono preamp and made it differential. I did this so I could get enough voltage output at low distortion. It still needs an output stage. I'll start a thead for help on that. I plan on using this dual Op Amp:

national semi's LME49860 - 44V Dual High Performance, High Fidelity Audio Operational Amplifier

It can output 22mA and drive 600ohm loads.

This should be a really quiet and low distortion amp. I'm just curious if this is of interest to anyone? I don't know how soon I could build it. I have obligations to finish some other work first. I could model it in Spice and let some adventurous person build it first?

Edit: Note - the input diodes are connected wrong!!

Image not available
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 10 August 2023, 22:19 Thursday. Reason: Update text
                                                                              John unk:

Comment

• peter_m
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2007
                                                                                • 227

#40
                                                                                This should be a really quiet and low distortion amp. I'm just curious if this is of interest to anyone? I don't know how soon I could build it. I have obligations to finish some other work first. I could model it in Spice and let some adventurous person buit it first?
                                                                                I could be interested. How many watts do you think it can pump out? how much do you think it could cost to build?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2007
                                                                                  • 1877

#41
                                                                                  That would be great. I think the parts cost is $120 - $200 depending on output stage. Class A output stage would cost more due to power supply requirements. It can put out up to 25W rms into 8 ohms.

PM me if you're interested. I don't want to ruin Jed's thread.
                                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2005
                                                                                    • 3621

#42
                                                                                    I don't want to ruin Jed's thread.
                                                                                    John, this discussion is great, so don't feel like you can't post it in this thread. Seems a lot of people can benefit from a small inexpensive 2.1 amplifier setup. To be honest, for $200 I'd just buy the Keiga, but to each his own and the more options the better.

Comment

• peter_m
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2007
                                                                                      • 227

#43
                                                                                      Jon,

at that price I would also go with off the shelf amps... I'm sure your design would sound cleaner but at that price it doesn't motivate me. I am waiting on parts for a 2.1 active crossover. If anyone wants, I can post my results once I get things rolling. I plan to use 2 off the shelf amps with Zaph's B3S + a sub I have yet to decide on. Any room for sub suggestions in here?

If yes, then I am looking for something inexpensive and maybe with two LF drivers firing in opposite directions to minimize any cabinet vibrations... would be a nice advantage for someone living in an apartment. Was thinking 2 of these even if they are not subs: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-366 or two of these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-545

Peter

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2007
                                                                                        • 1877

#44
                                                                                        I probably over estimated the price, was just guessing. But, I forgot this is for a computer speaker. If you lose the JFET inputs it simplifies the power supply and amp design. How does $45 sound, for same power, also a differential design?
                                                                                        John unk:

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2005
                                                                                          • 3621

#45
                                                                                          I probably over estimated the price, was just guessing. But, I forgot this is for a computer speaker. If you lose the JFET inputs it simplifies the power supply and amp design. How does $45 sound, for same power, also a differential design?
                                                                                          $45 for 3 channels would be great.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"