X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyBoyAz
    • Dec 2007

Speaker Design Delema

Hello there!
    To Start: When I was a young one (13 years old) I purchased my first set of speakers from sears, they were the yamaha 8" 3-ways. At the time I thought they were the most beautiful in the world, till I blew out the drivers, oops. I then was introduced to my Dad's world of EE and the magic of replacing drivers... The replacement was dramatically better than the first, though it was later replaced by a TB W8-740c. This to me was the most amazing transformation ever, except the box was still sealed. Later I went back to them and contemplated porting them, which I did by removing the tweeter; they hissed anyways.

Just lately I started tuning more precicely the port created... originally I used a 45 deg 1.25 pvc elbow, I know that sounds sick and cheap, but it pulled so much bass I was speachless. Anyways I started toying with them again lately and tuned the freq up from the bottom 20s to the high 20s low 30s, and want to now turn my attention to the mids that have been left alone for so long. I am just afraid of relapsing back to the hissing, no bass syndrome from before. My eyes fell upon the W4-1337 from TangBand and found quite a few posts in here refering to them. Looking at the graph on the 1337s it shows a hump from 10 to 20 khz, and I'm not sure how much that would affect the sound quality. I would like to keep the 2-way design for convience of the port, and size and freq response are exactly what I think I want, but I don't really know. Would using the 1337 as the top end be useful? I've had a hard time finding a speaker that could support around 700-20k, and be 4" in size...

Any help would be wonderful!

MikeyBoyAz
    Attached Files
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Check out the Lineup F4 in the accomplished section for info about using the W4 fullrange.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

• MikeyBoyAz
      • Dec 2007

Humm

So I notice that you are always cutting off the top end of the 1337 and using it as the bottom end, do you think it could stand up to being the top end without excess distortion?

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

He has a version that is just the W4-1337 by itself. It is the "F4". So, I think the answer is yes.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• MikeyBoyAz
          • Dec 2007

Thanks, I will give them a try!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"