X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ch83575
    • Sep 2006

Reference Probe Question

This one is pretty basic. When using a potential divider reference probe for SPL measurements is it better to have a probe that attaches to the hot and ground of the amp, or to "float" the probe by attaching it only to the hot and connecting the ground leg of the potential divider to the soundcard ground only? This is of course assuming the amp doesn't have an elevated ground voltage. Is there a benefit one way or the other? I have only ever done the latter, which seems to work, but perhaps I am risking my soundcard or something 8O

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but "grounding" is one of those concepts I have just never been able to quite wrap my mind around totally.

-Chad
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Well, there's ground and there's earth in these circuits, and they're often tied together too.

Theoretically it should all be the same ground. Sound card ground or the "ground" speaker output. But that can depend very much on the amplifier.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

It should work either way with a 'normal' amp where the (+) speaker terminal is hot and the (-) terminal is ground. Most hookup diagrams show using the amp (-) as the reference ground for the probe. However, with a bridged amp, like the T-amp discussed in another thread, the speaker terminals are both hot but with opposite polarity. In that case, grounding to the soundcard or the input side of the amp is the only way that will work.

Comment

• ch83575
        • Sep 2006

So, if using a compatable amp which is best:

1. Grounding probe to speaker (-) only. No ground conection at soundcard.

2. Grounding probe to soundcard (rca sleeve) only. No ground conection to amp.

3. Connecting probe ground to both (-) of amp/speaker AND ground of soundcard input.

Or are there no best ways... each should work the same?

Thanks,
        -Chad

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"