X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Dayton WWMT problems

I received an email from a local builder who complained about some problems with the sound of the WWMT project found here. Anyone else unhappy with the results? At one time I heard there were some quality issues with the tweeter? I'll be measuring them and will report back if anyone is interested.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I'd first be inclined to check over his wiring of the crossovers and drivers to see if anything is out of phase. It only takes one little error to make a poor sounding speaker- but of course I'm sure he checked it over and over again.

Which crossover design did this individual use and what is the specific problem?

Jed

Comment

• Rick Craig
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jed
      I'd first be inclined to check over his wiring of the crossovers and drivers to see if anything is out of phase. It only takes one little error to make a poor sounding speaker- but of course I'm sure he checked it over and over again.

Which crossover design did this individual use and what is the specific problem?

Jed
      Harshness with vocals / trumpets / sax and borderline sibilance. I'll check the crossovers (Dennis Murphy's design) first to make sure that everything is correct. It doesn't sound like a phase problem.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Two things I see sometimes: these are sensitive to stuffing and general box treatment in the mids. And, people aren't used to how harsh these instruments actually are.

I also personally find Dennis doesn't quash the breakup as much as I prefer, which I find adds a bit of edge to these same instruments...

Verify wiring. Mess with stuffing on the mid. And make sure the right tweeter was used - the RS28A and RS28A-S aren't as interchangeable as we might like.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rick Craig
          Harshness with vocals / trumpets / sax and borderline sibilance. I'll check the crossovers (Dennis Murphy's design) first to make sure that everything is correct. It doesn't sound like a phase problem.
          Hi Rick,

I built the 27TBFC version of that speaker way back when it first came out and it's very musical. There were a couple including mine at the 2006 Iowa DIY event and was only edged out by Curt's design. My money says the crossover isn't right, the source components are finally being heard or simply the CD's are not well recorded.

If it's the RS28 version, I can't comment because I've not heard it.

How are things? You seem to be very, very busy these days. That's a good thing! :T

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jim

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

Hi Rick,

There were some RS28's that had issues though I haven't tested any in a year. With those I found that the rub and buzz is not very obvious with music but just comes across as annoying and edgy. But it stands out like a sore thumb when I swept a tone through the audible range.

Mark K, if you are around, how are RS28's these days? If you remember those defective ones I sent you, I notice PE now has replacement domes... I bet you could pop a couple of those in there and they'd be good. PE should give those out for free to anyone who needs them.

All that said, my money's also on screwed up crossover assembly. All it takes is one component out of place or not connected. Or worse yet, a cap lead overheated with solder - very difficult to troubleshoot. I bet designers underestimate how easy it is for a DIY'er to mess up a complicated crossover.
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Rick Craig
              I received an email from a local builder who complained about some problems with the sound of the WWMT project found here. Anyone else unhappy with the results? At one time I heard there were some quality issues with the tweeter? I'll be measuring them and will report back if anyone is interested.
              Rick,

There was a problem with some of the tweeters quite a while ago. PE instituted a QC program, now all the tweeters have an inspection sticker on them. The problem was a slight misalignment of the VC. It was easily fixed by loosening the screws and shifting the VC.

Other factors to consider are his playback equipment and room treatments (or lack there of...)

The fix maybe as simple as padding down the tweeter a little.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Rick, it might be as simple as he didn't swap the polarity on the midrange or messed up '+' and '-' on another driver. I built a pair using the 27TBFC just like Jim and have not had any problems. They have been A/B'd with some Stratus Gold's and the owner of the Gold's liked the WWMT's better.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                  Two things I see sometimes: these are sensitive to stuffing and general box treatment in the mids. And, people aren't used to how harsh these instruments actually are.
                  I remember the first time you told me that. And you are still right! ;x(
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Rick Craig
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    Hi Rick,

I built the 27TBFC version of that speaker way back when it first came out and it's very musical. There were a couple including mine at the 2006 Iowa DIY event and was only edged out by Curt's design. My money says the crossover isn't right, the source components are finally being heard or simply the CD's are not well recorded.

If it's the RS28 version, I can't comment because I've not heard it.

How are things? You seem to be very, very busy these days. That's a good thing! :T

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jim
                    It's been crazy lately. Merry Christmas to the Holtz family as well!

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After I check out the speakers I'll post my findings.

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

So Rick,

What was the issue with the speaker? Did you get around to measuring?

Jed

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                          They have been A/B'd with some Stratus Gold's and the owner of the Gold's liked the WWMT's better.
                          That is a flat out lie and slanderous!

Oh wait, I have already sold the Golds. Yeah it is true. :B

Comment

• Rick Craig
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                            So Rick,

What was the issue with the speaker? Did you get around to measuring?

Jed
                            I've been away and already have several projects in the loop. I hope to know something in a few weeks.

Comment

• digital desire
                              • Dec 2006

(In voice of sweaty convict) Any word from the governor?
                              Peter
                              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cjd
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Dec 2004

What tweeter was used?

I need to do more in-depth checks but the new Seas tweeters may not quite be what they should...

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by digital desire
                                  (In voice of sweaty convict) Any word from the governor?
                                  I'm working on a possible visit this weekend and will report back.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                    What tweeter was used?

I need to do more in-depth checks but the new Seas tweeters may not quite be what they should...
                                    Dayton tweeter.

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                      What tweeter was used?

Chris, this has my interest. Hopefully there isn't lesser performance from batch to batch?

Comment

• cjd
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2004

Well, were it just my tweeter measurements I'd not be concerned. But I've had a lot of folks finding some harshness and sibilance with the MTM's lately, making me really wonder. It's a broad peak leading up to around 5200 (up about 3dB). This equates pretty well to the distance between the tweeters and my screen so I think it probably is NOT the tweeters, but for the sibilance I clearly heard listening to these without the screen...

The dome material is very clearly NOT the same as the tweeters I used to build my MTM's.

C

Comment

• augerpro
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2006

Chris are you saying that you have newer TDFC's that have a different dome than some older ones?
                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                          DriverVault
                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

Yes. The domes they (TDFC's) have now are not the same as those I purchased a few years ago. Different color, different texture.

C

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                              • Jul 2006

Looks like I won't be working on the speakers. The owner had already installed and soldered the crossovers. I proposed measuring the drivers without the crossover in place and he didn't want to remove everything.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"