X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Confidence has been restored

SoundEasy has been giving me crap for a long time to get running properly for measurements. Mazurek came over last night to check out my new house and I wanted to show him SoundEasy to see if he could diagnose why I couldn't get consistent measurements. Well, you know how things always go, when I showed him what the symptoms were things were working perfectly and they're still working perfectly so I think I'm in business!

For a first attempt at designing a passive crossover I took measurements of a test dipole I built last year with a cheap Vifa TC18 Infinity buyout from PE along with an RS28. I then quickly modeled a 2nd order on the woofer and a 3rd order on the tweeter with passive parts I had on hand. Within 5 minutes I had a modeled response in SE that looked very flat and had a nice, deep null when polarity was reversed showing it has good phase coherency. After wiring it up and taking a measurement I was shocked! Aside from the anomaly at ~1300 hz. things are pretty flat! The RS28 inherently has a dip in its top octave which can be seen in the measurements.

All in all I used $15 in passive parts, which includes an 18 gauge 1.5 mH on the woofer and a 0.15 mH on the tweeter. A 10 uF was used on the woofer and a 15 uf and 10 uf on the tweeter side, with a series 4 ohm resistor to pad its level. Uhh, yeah, those were electrolytics I had lying around. :roll:

I know this is a very simple design and things are going to get more complicated but I think this was needed to give me that boost of confidence to get things going. I just hope I don't forget that the most important part is listening to music and not designing speaker after speaker, forgetting why I took this hobby up in the first place. :B

• JonP
    • Apr 2006

Hmmm... I think I have 2 more of those, been using the other pair. Somewhere I should have measurments... would be interesting as well as a "confidence builder" to compare your measurements with mine...

I forget what the T/S parameters are supposed to be, these a good choice for Dipole use? What exactly makes a driver good or bad for dipole use, besides a healthy Xmax....?

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonP
      Hmmm... I think I have 2 more of those, been using the other pair. Somewhere I should have measurments... would be interesting as well as a "confidence builder" to compare your measurements with mine...

I forget what the T/S parameters are supposed to be, these a good choice for Dipole use? What exactly makes a driver good or bad for dipole use, besides a healthy Xmax....?
      These were used only because I had them on hand and wanted to hear dipole mids. I wouldn't use them in a dipole design as they're an inexpensive woofer and the cost of crossover components probably wouldn't be worth it. Also, I measured its distortion and it has a rising F3 around 200-300hz that sounds real annoying, although, it could have been the woofer I was measuring as its been "thrown around" a lot.

As far as T/S parameters you want a woofer with high xmax and a high Qts, which isn't as important if you're using an active crossover but when building a passive you won't have to equalize them as much to get more bass.

Again, this was just a super quick test to see if SoundEasy was working and to see if I could model a quick and cheap passive network and to verify its response when measuring it again.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"