X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coyotetu
    • Nov 2007

Quick question.

Was just wondering, is it advisable to buy two TC-2000's? Bare with me, I don't know if the SKU implies the specifications, I'm new at this, but they're the 15" 4-ohm dual voice coil design.

I'm going for something similar to CBS' implementation of the Statements, and by similar I mean a complete copy, hah. If it's at all relevant, this is would be my first DIY project, so I just might be operating outside of my scope.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

What do the subs have to do with the Statements? I'm really confused what you're asking about here.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

TC-2000 are very good speakers. The 'new' pricing for them will be VERY high, so getting a pair at a good price (if they're in good condition) is a good thing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• coyotetu
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjd
        What do the subs have to do with the Statements? I'm really confused what you're asking about here.
        CBS mounted a pair of Statements on top of two TC-1000 sub-woofer enclosures. You can refer to that thread to get an idea of what I'm going for, and perhaps you can tell me what I'm going for as well, because I have little to no idea, hah. The pictures should be around page 19 or so.

Originally posted by ThomasW
        TC-2000 are very good speakers. The 'new' pricing for them will be VERY high, so getting a pair at a good price (if they're in good condition) is a good thing.
        I'll be getting both for about $500, they're in new condition, is this fair pricing?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
          Hi Chris,

Here's the post he's referring to. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=658

My friend CBS built his Statements sealed and sat them on top of sealed TC Sounds 15" subs. He built two sets, one for the mains and one for the surrounds. It sounds awesome. :T No shortage of ultra clean, tight bass either.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Ahh! Having missed that, I had no idea.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

$500/both sounds like a decent price to me, especially if you're not paying shipping. The very similar RL-p15 is going for $335/ea new. I don't remember the original TC2000 price, but it was similar. The new pricing is, uh much higher.

You shouldn't have a problem putting the sealed TC2000 under the statements. They might need a slightly larger box than CBS used with the TC1000. Have you tried modeling them in Unibox or WinISD to see what box size is good?
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• coyotetu
                • Nov 2007

I think my face just melted.. To answer your question, no. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, or where to start.

I was under the assumption that this price was alot better value than that, but eh, savings are savings. The TC-2000 also comes in silver, though that's rather trivial, aesthetics are of some importance to me.

I'm not that close to starting, though. When I start accumulating more components, I'll have to get to studying.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

What is the biggest box size you can live with? This is a pretty good answer to the question of how big to make your box.

I don't have time right now to model it for you. But, it is pretty easy to download Unibox, put in the T/S parameters, and see what you get for a sealed box size with a Qts = 0.5 to 0.6. Post your results and someone will give you the thumbs up.

Also, see if you can find some other designs to see what they used with the TC2000 sealed. If you find one with a model posted, post the link and we'll look at it.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    You shouldn't have a problem putting the sealed TC2000 under the statements. They might need a slightly larger box than CBS used with the TC1000.
                    Actually, the TC1000 requires a larger box than the 2000. :T

Comment

• coyotetu
                      • Nov 2007

What is the biggest box size you can live with? This is a pretty good answer to the question of how big to make your box.

I don't have time right now to model it for you. But, it is pretty easy to download Unibox, put in the T/S parameters, and see what you get for a sealed box size with a Qts = 0.5 to 0.6. Post your results and someone will give you the thumbs up.

Also, see if you can find some other designs to see what they used with the TC2000 sealed. If you find one with a model posted, post the link and we'll look at it.
                      Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but that's about all I could find, just searched through AVS forum DIY, that was fruitless, downloaded WinISD, but the TC-2000 dvc wasn't listed, and google only turned up that thread for T/S parameters, but I got lost at that point.

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

TC Sounds has the T/S parameters for their legacy drivers in speadsheet form.

Extensive selection of high-quality domain names. Knowledgeable, friendly customer support.

Comment

• coyotetu
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                          TC Sounds has the T/S parameters for their legacy drivers in speadsheet form.

http://www.tcsounds.com/tsps.xls
                          Ah, thanks. That had some additional parameters that my result didn't. I still couldn't fill all of the parameter fields in WinISD, filled in where possible, hard to say whether this is accurate or not. I still might have mistaken some parameters, but here's the supposed optimum box size, single driver, closed, cubic; 0.025m board thickness, 0.496Wx0.764Hx0.318D, 85.4l volume.

I'm sure it's wrong entirely, but hey, just throwing it out there.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by coyotetu
                            Ah, thanks. That had some additional parameters that my result didn't. I still couldn't fill all of the parameter fields in WinISD, filled in where possible, hard to say whether this is accurate or not. I still might have mistaken some parameters, but here's the supposed optimum box size, single driver, closed, cubic; 0.025m board thickness, 0.496Wx0.764Hx0.318D, 85.4l volume.

I'm sure it's wrong entirely, but hey, just throwing it out there.
                            I did a quick model in Unibox and came up with about 70 liters for a .7 and 105 liters for a .6 box Q alignment. You won't go wrong anywhere in between. Personally, I prefer a little "fatter" bass so I lean towards a .7 alignment. It just sounds more right to me than the very low alignments.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• coyotetu
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                              I did a quick model in Unibox and came up with about 70 liters for a .7 and 105 liters for a .6 box Q alignment. You won't go wrong anywhere in between. Personally, I prefer a little "fatter" bass so I lean towards a .7 alignment. It just sounds more right to me than the very low alignments.

HTH

Jim
                              So... what, just enter in 70l in WinISD and have it calculate optimum box measurements? Sorry, just making sure.

Comment

• coyotetu
                                • Nov 2007

Ah christ, I knew it, I just got the money in my hands less than an hour ago, check the Ad and the guy is entering into a deal with someone else, hopefully I can still buy them.

In that light, any suggestions on possible replacements that would perform similarly at the same price point?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

So... what, just enter in 70l in WinISD and have it calculate optimum box measurements? Sorry, just making sure.
                                  I'm not that familiar with WinISD so I really can't say. I've used Unibox for a long time and it works well. The nice thing about a sealed design is that a few liters one way or another isn't a show stopper. The sub will still sound good.

I see in your next post that you might not get the TC Sounds drivers. Others on the board are more knowledgable than I about subs so maybe they'll pop in with advice.

Another question is, what are your end goals? Chris wanted plaster cracking bass during home theater but ultra clean tight bass for music which is why he went with four TC Sounds subs. If you are more interested in music, I think a 12" RS series sub might be a good choice. Lots of options.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

The Dayton RSS 15" HO is a very nice driver. Also there is the mach 5 audio IXL 15" but its a bit higher in price.

Comment

• coyotetu
                                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                      I'm not that familiar with WinISD so I really can't say. I've used Unibox for a long time and it works well. The nice thing about a sealed design is that a few liters one way or another isn't a show stopper. The sub will still sound good.

I see in your next post that you might not get the TC Sounds drivers. Others on the board are more knowledgable than I about subs so maybe they'll pop in with advice.

Another question is, what are your end goals? Chris wanted plaster cracking bass during home theater but ultra clean tight bass for music which is why he went with four TC Sounds subs. If you are more interested in music, I think a 12" RS series sub might be a good choice. Lots of options.

HTH

Jim
                                      Ah, alright, thanks.

Well, I'd say my goals are about the same as Chris', I'd say my habits are about 30% gaming, 30% movies, 20% television, 20% music, though the latter three can vary.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

Tempest-X at DIY Cable.

Get the 2-pack: Tempest-X 2 pack link
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• coyotetu
                                          • Nov 2007

Ah yes, I've seen it mentioned before as a possible replacement in this intended application, I'm still hoping for the TC-2000's. However, if that falls through, the Tempest-X price point is very good, and would allow me to possibly purchase the amp as well, and bring my project that much closer to completion.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Forgot they had the 15's now.

Comment

• coyotetu
                                              • Nov 2007

Alright, I just ordered a Tempest X 2-pack, just to explore my options further, are there any suggestions for an affordable pro amp to power them?

Different price ranges would be acceptable, my windfall is running short quickly, and I'll most likely be saving up for further purchases.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

the Behringer EP2500 is the most bang for the buck. Many of us have them.
                                                - Ryan

Comment

• coyotetu
                                                  • Nov 2007

the Behringer EP2500 is the most bang for the buck. Many of us have them.
                                                  Ah yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people use them. I suppose they must be quality.

Comment

• cjd
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2004

Ah yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people use them. I suppose they must be quality.
                                                    Depends on use IMHO. I wasn't impressed with the full range performance of the one I've heard. But, that's one.

Tempest-X should be a superb driver. Excellent pedigree.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2005

I didn't think we were talking about full range, but just for the sub. I don't think there is any disagreement about sub use versus full range.
                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Alright, I just ordered a Tempest X 2-pack, just to explore my options further, are there any suggestions for an affordable pro amp to power them?

Different price ranges would be acceptable, my windfall is running short quickly, and I'll most likely be saving up for further purchases.
                                                        I've your not needing the lowest price possible, you might check on Kevin Haskin's website as he's running a special sale on the Face amps. These are VERY impressive.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• coyotetu
                                                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                          I've your not needing the lowest price possible, you might check on Kevin Haskin's website as he's running a special sale on the Face amps. These are VERY impressive.... :T
                                                          Yeah, those do look fantastic. It doesn't seem that diycable carries the F520-TX, that amp may be ideal. I wouldn't be able to make the end of the sale for the F500-TS, so I might as well do a bit more when it comes to it and buy a TX, otherwise, that is a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"