X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deward Hastings
    • Dec 2006

potting inductors

Thomas:

Do you bother to “pot” or bond when you wind inductors, either by brushing between layers or “dip and drip”? I used to brush, but my Glyptal stash is long gone, I see it’s $40 a quart now, and I don’t believe I’ve used more than a pint or two in 40 years. So that’s not happening. Maybe a urethane varnish? I’m realizing that I don’t even know what they use to “enamel” enameled wire any more, or if there’d be a compatibility problem . . .
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Nope IMO potting is way too much hassle.

The 'heavy' hydro-coated wire I use with my winder is virtually bullet-proof, so nothing short of acid is going to dissolve that coating.

North Creek 'pots' their inductors by dipping them in epoxy. That's probably the easiest thing if one is so inclined.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Deward Hastings
      • Dec 2006

Epoxy would work, and I think I have some West System leftovers around somewhere (the stuff does last forever). But "hassle" and overkill do come to mind. I've got some not-too-old Varithane on the shelf . . . maybe I'll try that. As long as it sets up it can't hurt anything . . .

Comment

• JonP
        • Apr 2006

Ahhh... brings back memories of a power inverter company I worked for, where they wound and potted most of their inductors. Some pretty big stuff, too. We're talking dunking in a vac tank of varnish, and baking in an oven, up to 12"x12" E I core inductors or transformers... Way overkill for speaker inductors.

Basically, you're looking for something to act as a glue, mostly doesn't matter what it is, except for it dissolving or reacting badly with your wire insulation.

Try some test paintings of that Urethane on your wire.... Or, just wind tight and use a ton of tie wraps.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
          • Dec 2006

> We're talking dunking in a vac tank of varnish, and baking in an oven

Relatively easy now for the DIYer . . . poly bags for the impreg tank and borrow the "foodsaver" for the vacuum. If you measure the juice right it all just "disappears" into the "widget". Cure it in the powder coat oven. Haven't tried it on coils, though.

I've done fiberglass in vac bags . . . it's the only way I know to get a really dry layup and complete coverage at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"