X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Another thing to worry about...

Those port holes, nice and near the ground?

Perfect place for mice to crawl into so they can get stuck and die, later making you wonder WHERE that smell is coming from. 8O

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

Solution

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Wow this ones scary...

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

got two. But for various reasons, they're not normally allowed in the basement (to keep the door open would be to have it blocking a hall, so it pretty much has to be kept closed).

C

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Get a fine wire mesh and put it over the ports. Something that won't block air very much.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Wasn't really looking for solutions. I just thought it was funny.

C

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ahhhh...hmm they may just build a nest in there and have a bunch of babies...wonder what that would do for acoustics? :B

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

Funny you should mention cats- I remember seeing this very concern posted elsewhere once, and the poster was concerned that their *cat* was going to crawl into their 6" subwoofer port!
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Undefinition
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                  Those port holes, nice and near the ground?

Perfect place for mice to crawl into so they can get stuck and die, later making you wonder WHERE that smell is coming from. 8O

C
                  I don't consider myself much of a worrier, but I have high-efficiency PA speakers that I keep in storage most of the time (aka: left at my parents' house after I moved out). Now, that basement has a lot of mice, and I genuinely worry about them crawling into the slot ports and making a home. About the best I could think of doing was storing them back to back so that the port wasn't exposed. Because yes, that basement has become a place to play "locate that smell" to find a dead mouse.

It's not my house. If it was; I would have done something to fix the problem a long time ago; I guess my dad just likes the little buggers.

All I'm saying, C, is that I don't think your worrying is unfounded. In fact, I think Wolf had a nest in one of his subs he kept in his work area.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                  Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"