X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chucksva
    • Nov 2007

Different HT subwoofer problem--box form factor limits drivers to 10" max

Okay, partly for WAF I need to accomplish all my HT subwoofing using (2) boxes which are incorporated in an existing wall unit, below the screen. Each is 29" w x 12" h x 12" deep, so about 2 cu ft net volume. Room is 14x22x8.5 ceiling, fairly live. I'm considering (2) drivers per enclosure, ie (4) total, perhaps the Dayton RS265HF (14mm Xmax) or much more economically the Dayton Quatro (8mm).
    In the midst of significant upgrade to other equipment so I don't want to go hogwild on the subwoofer, but I don't want to feel like I need an upgrade anytime soon either.
    Amplification is also TBD, I am toying with the idea of trying to use a Panny digital XR55 I have on hand, in which 6 of the channels can be ganged 3x100w=300w per side allocated to each enclosure.
    Appreciate any suggestion, I have searched but haven't seen much comment about 10" Sub drivers, I guess for obvious reasons.

Chuck
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

What do you mean by "ganged"? Bridging 3 channels would be a very uncommon feature, are you sure you can do this?

Here are a couple suggestions for subs: Fi Q10 Ascendant Assassin or Arsenal

I don't know much about the all the different subs. What I can say is the Dayton will probably have lower distortion and a slightly bigger box. The Fi Q10 or Ascendant Arsenal will have a smaller box, and greater excursion/higher SPL.

BTW if any of the sub gurus here could comment on the Ascendant subs versus teh Fi Q, TC2K, SS Rlp class drivers I would appreciate it.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• chucksva
      • Nov 2007

Yes, Panasonic calls this "dual amping" for 2-channel playback. This receiver can also "bi-amp" or "bi-wire" for 2-channel playback, where separate amplifier channels are allocated to the HF and LF of speakers whose terminals support this.

Re-reading the manual shows me that the "dual amping" feature only gangs 2 amplifier channels per side. So, if I was using (4) drivers total anyway, it would be just as easy to drive each with a separate channel...

Chuck

Comment

• chucksva
        • Nov 2007

see a 100% better explanation at

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't know if the power supply in the receiver will be able to deliver 600watts continiously like a regular amp would....it might be okay for the RS265. IMO the Quatro isn't worth consideration.

If you go with any of the more manly 10's say the Fi or SoundSplinter, you'd certainly be better off using something like a Behringer prosound amp

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"