X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pablo
    • Nov 2007

TB W4-657SH measurements

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I´ve got in mind a small and cheap two-way project using TB-657SH as midwoofers:

I´m afraid of real parameters and response being far away from manufacturer´s ones and shipping from USA isn´t cheap.

Did anyone measure this driver´s T/S, response or distortion?

The tweeter should probably be a Monacor one (excellent experience here in Spain with DT-99 and DT-300 for the price).

Design process will be simulated with SW or Soundeasy.

Thanks in advance.

Pablo.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Any reason you need to ship from the US?

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Looks like they're not in stock until February anyhow. I tested the poly version of that and it wasn't all that great. It was the W4 656. 2 % peak 3rd order distortion at 2.2k. I've seen tests of the Aluminium cone TB in Klang and Ton magazine and was not blown away. Pretty less than average/fair performance. Actually I don't think I've seen a TB with "low" distortion. You'll need an Usher or ScanSpeak for that.

Aurasound makes some neat small relatively low distortion drivers- you could check them out too.

Comment

• Pablo
        • Nov 2007

Thank you for the answers.

These drivers are not easily available in the european online shops I use to buy from. Anyway, I´ll search again.

I didn´t notice they were out of stock at PE ops:

About the Klang and Ton test, the only quote I had read before around the web, pointed these driver as a bad full range, but a great potential midwoofer for small monitors. Unfortunately I could not read the original article.

I think the issue of distorsion is not a universal one in TangBand drivers. In fact, the W5-704 tested in Zaph´s page seemed to be a good value driver.

Pablo.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

I'll see if I can find the Klang and Ton issue with this driver and I'll report back.

Jed

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

What *is* available to you? Perhaps nothing comparably priced even including shipping, but it's always worth a check. At the moment it may be worth considering the 4ohm RS150 since it's only a few bucks more... for now.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Alright, I found the info. See attached and let me know what you think.

Not comparable to the Dayton RS, especially if you have to pay for shipping from PE anyway.
              Last edited by Jed; 05 December 2007, 18:53 Wednesday.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

I own 4 of them. Definitely NOT worth it. They have (IIRC) a really ragged FR that has dips where it shouldn't, and high break-up nodes. I'd really rather get a set of Dayton RS125s (which I own), the TB Bamboos (which I owned and loved), or the W4-1337s (the best 4" driver I've ever worked with).
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Javier,

Curious to know how you used the TB W4 1337. What other drivers did you use with it?

Jed

Comment

• DDF
                    • Dec 2007

Pablo,
                    Many W4657SB measures can be found here as part of my project with a D26. To be honest, the driver probably isn't worth the trouble due to its hazy upper mids/treble (distortion), but I'm already well down this road.
                    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Dave

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                      Javier,

Curious to know how you used the TB W4 1337. What other drivers did you use with it?

Jed
                      I used them with the RS28. Overkill, quite probably . I crossed them at 2.2 KHz on an MTM configuration. It's probably my favorite small MTM speaker I've built - the W4's have an awesome midrange.
                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• Pablo
                        • Nov 2007

Sorry for my late answer, I´ve travelling till yesterday.

Thank you for all the valuable information you have posted. You are right, they don´t seem to be a great option if you intend to cross them high.

I´ll take a look at those Dayton.

Regards.

Pablo.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"